Unemployment/Careers

I know nothing about that but someone else is bound to.  Imo, the specifics of the example won't be as important as the fact that you made an attempt to become aware of the customer/client's needs and demonstrated some sort of attempt to accomodate it in terms they'd relate to.

I never even associated the question with customers and assumed it would be to do with co workers/bosses but sure I could waggle something in 250 words. Thanks.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, throbber said:

In an application I'm doing now one of the questions is about an example as to when i have adapted my communication style to suit the needs of others. Got absolutely no idea where I can go with this so if anyone can throw me a bone that would be lovely.

Tell them you shout at foreigners when on holiday if they don't immediately understand you.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Engineering but more along the asset management/strategy/ project management lines. Really don't know where to begin!

Lie.

Tell them you did a presentation at uni to some visiting school kids. You adapted an existing presentation and did some kind of simple demonstration. The kids engaged and asked lots of questions. Your tutor got positive formal feedback from the kids teacher...you add the detail.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:34, HardcoreVibes said:

So what's a good thing to get into?

I've found myself unemployed after working in hospitality, fucking hated it so half glad I'm unemployed so I can have a sociable life as well as working because working in a kitchen is no life at all.

What's a good thing to get into? What are you's people doing? Can anybody recommend something to a young lad like me?

According to some on here if you are under 43 you have no life experience so you are pretty much fucked :( 

Meanwhile in the real world, the world is your oyster. If you are looking for an interesting career, don't go into manufacturing. It sucks the life out of you. I've had a few interesting roles in my time, but that's about it. Only real advice (and it probably falls into the category of stating the bleedin' obvious)  I can give is make sure your CV will get noticed. Due to the volume of people applying for each job these days it is probably the single most important factor in getting an interview. And when you get an interview lie like f**k. At some point someone will believe you.

Edit: And if your personality is that of a complete c**t then the ideal job for you will be working for the DWP. Most of them seem to be

I'm assuming CVs and job application forms still include a bit about 'Hobbies/Interests'.  I wonder how many on here are honest about that.

"I spend a large part of my day/evening posting shite on a football website...."

On 12/12/2016 at 01:33, Miguel Sanchez said:

What do you do for a living, Granny Danger?

Sorry MS, I just noticed your post.

I run my own business in the building trade related sector, have done for over 20 years.  Both my sons work with me too.  We are all office based and have it pretty cushy tbh though that doesn't mean it's always stress free or plain sailing.  A few years ago during the finacial crisis we were within weeks of closing the doors.  The issue with running your own business is that things can go from good to bad quite quickly and its usually caused by factors that you have no control over.

For the past 33 years I have only worked for about 6 months for someone else.  I don't think i could go back to having a boss now.

On 11/12/2016 at 20:32, kilbowie2002 said:

How old are you? Is it possible to get into a trade etc or would that out you under undue stress? What about the Armed forces (dont need to be frontline but you can also get a decent trade with good prospects?).

I used to recommend joining the forces to guys (and girls) who didn't know what to do with themselves. Either do the minimum if they didn't like it or hang in and get some qualifications. Either way there would be plenty good experiences as well as the bad/boring ones but at least they'd have a few stories. 

I wouldn't recommend it now to anyone who wasn't at least interested to start with now. A lot of the things that made it fun have gone and its becoming more PC and pseudo businesslike. Its not just me giving it "Its not like it was when I was a lad", some of the young guys I'm still in touch with are moaning too. A lot are voting with their feet and leaving too, there are jobs out there for ex servicemen, good jobs too. I suppose if you wanted to use it as a stepping stone but how many young guys think like that ? I didn't, It was burds beer and football like a young dafty should. :thumsup2

21 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Probably a bit late now but check in advance what equipment you will be using i.e Power-point versions etc. Nothing worse than not being able to open your presentation or finding they use/don't use Macs and you use/don't use windows.

Again a bit late but have paper copies too if there's an IT failure you can have a copy for you (with any notes etc) and some paper copies to hand out, if theres not enough, ask to borrow the photocopier. Even if you don't use them you can slip it into conversation to show how well prepared you are. Bullshit baffles  brains an' all that.

I'm assuming CVs and job application forms still include a bit about 'Hobbies/Interests'.  I wonder how many on here are honest about that.
"I spend a large part of my day/evening posting shite on a football website...."

They'll already know before the interview if past events are anything to go by.

On 13/12/2016 at 10:39, Hedgecutter said:

Bright colours and every type of animation that PowerPoint will allow you on every slide. Everyone loves a good animation.

I was giving a presentation about my work (which involved lasers) and discovered sound effects and animations just before giving it. Obviously the the first few slides were full of crap whizzing in from the side of the screen with little 'pew pew' noises everywhere. I'm sure everyone loved it.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That's a fucking bug-bear of mine. Who honestly gives a shit, assuming anyone is actually honest anyway? Hi, I'm Dave and my main hobby is lounging around on the couch with my boxers round my ankles plastering the laptop with my own semen.

Including hobbies shows you are well rounded, if you are well into sports and play at a competitive level or are a football coach etc then it will look good but obviously not a necessary requirement. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Including hobbies shows you are well rounded, if you are well into sports and play at a competitive level or are a football coach etc then it will look good but obviously not a necessary requirement. 

Coaching football might be better left out given recent revelations.

Archived