F1 2017

die hard doonhamer

13 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

I see Leclerc set a time that would have been good enough for 9th in the grid in the Hungarian test today, even though it was on the soft tyre. He seems to be a real talent and I would expect to see him on the grid next year, possibly before.

If he wins the Formula 2 title Ferrari will be looking to place him somewhere out on loan, I'd be surprised if he goes straight into a Ferrari drive next season, but you never know. I don't know what the contract situation is with Kimi and Ferrari for next season nor with Haas, KM allegedly will still be there in 2018, Grosjean still to sign up though.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replacing Ericsson next year? Does Ericsson have a lot of sponsorship or something? Surely there's better out there, he's not jole-off Palmer bad but he's not done much of note that I car remember.

1 hour ago, Jeek said:

Replacing Ericsson next year? Does Ericsson have a lot of sponsorship or something? Surely there's better out there, he's not jole-off Palmer bad but he's not done much of note that I car remember.

I think Ericsson will be out at the end of season and likely looking at other racing series away from F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131084

It makes sense with the lack of opportunities with less teams in F1 these days. Sauber are probably not going to move forward at least until the cost of running a F1 team is a lot easier, they were traditionally a midfield runner (the BMW years an exception), but they have been struggling for a few years now and in the current climate its only going to get worse for them. As long as they can still build their own car this should be acceptable as Toro Rosso are to Red Bull.

There will be available seats going for next season around the teams with both Wehrlein with his Mercedes connection and Ericsson are likely to be looking elsewhere for a drive if this Ferrari Junior team does go ahead. However it would bring two of the brightest young prospects around just now full time drives which will be great to see.

2 hours ago, Jeek said:

50 minutes ago, CityDave said:

I think Ericsson will be out at the end of season and likely looking at other racing series away from F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131084

It makes sense with the lack of opportunities with less teams in F1 these days. Sauber are probably not going to move forward at least until the cost of running a F1 team is a lot easier, they were traditionally a midfield runner (the BMW years an exception), but they have been struggling for a few years now and in the current climate its only going to get worse for them. As long as they can still build their own car this should be acceptable as Toro Rosso are to Red Bull.

There will be available seats going for next season around the teams with both Wehrlein with his Mercedes connection and Ericsson are likely to be looking elsewhere for a drive if this Ferrari Junior team does go ahead. However it would bring two of the brightest young prospects around just now full time drives which will be great to see.

Thought Ericsson was safe in his seat next season due his sponsors???Can see him and le clerc in the ferrari powered sauber next season

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

genuine question but what about Di Resta picking up a drive. Although he didn't threaten points positions in his cameo race does anyone think he did enough to warrant getting a drive. Maybe replace Massa?? He is a generally safe and consistent driver

Can't see it as there are more promising drivers coming through. I actually didn't think he was that good, he seemed to only score points in races by making a set of tyres last longer than other drivers could and only making one stop in a two stop race. Think his best result was a 4th in Singapore (?) by doing this.

As Kimi said, he's probably better off being a reporter. :lol: 

Can't see it as there are more promising drivers coming through. I actually didn't think he was that good, he seemed to only score points in races by making a set of tyres last longer than other drivers could and only making one stop in a two stop race. Think his best result was a 4th in Singapore (?) by doing this.
As Kimi said, he's probably better off being a reporter. [emoji38] 

I'm sure over the course of the season though he out scored hulkenburg. Hulkenburg was without a doubt the more entertaining driver but in the end isn't championship points what matter to mid table teams. They set out following years budget

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I'm sure over the course of the season though he out scored hulkenburg. Hulkenburg was without a doubt the more entertaining driver but in the end isn't championship points what matter to mid table teams. They set out following years budget

Agreed, he is/was a solid if unspectacular driver. The Stoke City of F1, would just fanny about in the middle of the pack without actually doing anything. :lol: 

Just now, Doonhamer doon south said:

Total opposite to Maldonado. What a . . . Risky driver shall we say

He seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. Maybe he stuck in a gravel trap somewhere, waiting the be rescued.

He seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. Maybe he stuck in a gravel trap somewhere, waiting the be rescued.

I think he is a test driver for Pirelli?

25 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Top trolling from Benson to be fair.

Benson is just a "why are you so good, Lewis?" away from plumbing to Chic Young levels of "journalism"!

16 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

genuine question but what about Di Resta picking up a drive. Although he didn't threaten points positions in his cameo race does anyone think he did enough to warrant getting a drive. Maybe replace Massa?? He is a generally safe and consistent driver

He is going to be out of a drive next year in the DTM as Mercedes are pulling out, so maybe he'll get promoted to the vacant seat in Williams when Massa finally calls time but I would be surprised, he'll have to bring a fair amount of sponsorship with him (IIRC wasn't that one of the reason Force India went with someone else for the 2014 season??)

He is going to be out of a drive next year in the DTM as Mercedes are pulling out, so maybe he'll get promoted to the vacant seat in Williams when Massa finally calls time but I would be surprised, he'll have to bring a fair amount of sponsorship with him (IIRC wasn't that one of the reason Force India went with someone else for the 2014 season??)

Unfortunately for him that was the case. Maldonado for example was backed either by the Venezuela government or a government backed oil company. Can't remember what it was. But the point remains that Di Resta doesn't bring strong sponsorship backing. I hope he does get a drive cos I like him so we will see

He's not good enough.

Kvyat has to be on shaky ground as well. Sainz is destroying him and he just generally seems to have adopted a self-destructive attitude since he was dropped to Toro Rosso. He's gotten more penalties than Man United at Old Trafford.

7 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

He's not good enough.

Kvyat has to be on shaky ground as well. Sainz is destroying him and he just generally seems to have adopted a self-destructive attitude since he was dropped to Toro Rosso. He's gotten more penalties than Man United at Old Trafford.

Red Bull + Toro Rosso will always prefer to move/progress drivers up through their driver program and going by recent comments by Helmut Marko both Kvyat and Sainz will be retained for next season at Toro Rosso. It looks like the two line ups at RB and STR appear to be the strongest options available right now. On the ladder Gasley's progress appears to have stalled and had to move sideways, Nico Kari looks a long way off F1 standard and going by his inconsistent showings in GP3 he could struggle in F2. There isn't anyone else close enough under the Red Bull banner to be considered good enough yet. Going by recent comments by Sainz he is considering moving to another team next season as he is blocked in moving forward to a Red Bull drive by Ricciardo and Verstappen who also look likely to stay put next season, if so then he's probably right in doing so. However he will be considered as a safe choice for a Red Bull seat if either Ricciardo or Verstappen move on or as a substitute, so I can see why Marko will be reluctant to let him go.

BTW Kvyat's current nickname around the paddock is 'The Torpedo'.

Archived