Most iconic game of the 21st century?

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

It's a bit of a lazy list at times , the rangers 5-1 win in November 2000 was not iconic in the same way for us as the 6-2 game was for Celtic earlier in the same season , a great win none the less but not really iconic with reason being we lost the league by a fair margin and the 6-2 game for Celtic was really the beginning of the end of them watching us rule the roost for over a decade and a half , our first 5-1 towards the end of the eighties was far more "iconic" than the 2000 version for reasons similar above . For example more iconic victories over Celtic this century I would include the 2002 Scottish cup final , 4-2 at parkhead and even last seasons semi final ahead of the 5-1 game . 

Raith Rovers in extra time was more iconic.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 210516 said:

I would argue neglecting payments as a club to poppy charities, and millions more is a little more shameful.

Only Rangers fans share your point of view mate. I suggest you build a bridge.  We won the cup in the greatest manner ever.  Knocking you boys out on the way. 

Well that's what poses the interesting question , yous have both won the cups in completely different yet from a football fans persepectives enthralling ways . A last minute winner in a cup final is always dream stuff but as is trouncing your nearest rivals 5-1 at the national stadium to do so . Not sure what one I would prefer in all honesty 

5 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

certainly was an iconic moment for raith fans and rightly so I have no problem admitting that , maybe not as iconic for them as raith rovers in penalties right enough 

Fair shout but keep on topic.  That was last centuary.

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Well that's what poses the interesting question , yous have both won the cups in completely different yet from a football fans persepectives enthralling ways . A last minute winner in a cup final is always dream stuff but as is trouncing your nearest rivals 5-1 at the national stadium to do so . Not sure what one I would prefer in all honesty 

I would prefer a last minute winner against the cretins of the nation.  Every neutual would also as it involved the cretins of the nations losing a 2-1 lead to re-write history forever.  In their first national final as the tribute act too. 

The Doon Derby was tremendous, even though United were an utter fucking gang and going down anyway. Relegating them on the ground they'd had so much success on (and rubbed our noses in it) was enormously satisfying.

The 2016 final however just swings it for me. Only Hibs fans realistically believed they'd win the final, the game, the manner of victory, the utter #scenes at full time, sunshine on leith sung by about 10,000 fans, together made it an iconic game imo. They also mentally broke the ***s for months afterwards, which was just beautiful.

Just now, 210516 said:

I would prefer a last minute winner against the cretins of the nation.  Every neutual would also as it involved the cretins of the nations losing a 2-1 lead to re-write history forever.  In their first national final as the tribute act too. 

See am thinking that , experienced it before aswell in the 2002 Scottish cup final albeit I was still just a young pup at the time . But if you gave me the option of a last minute winner v Celtic in a final or destroying them 5-1 over the 90 minutes and the 90 minutes of sheer winding up that would come with that , all I am saying is I would find it very hard to choose between the two . 

9 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

The Doon Derby was tremendous, even though United were an utter fucking gang and going down anyway. Relegating them on the ground they'd had so much success on (and rubbed our noses in it) was enormously satisfying.

The 2016 final however just swings it for me. Only Hibs fans realistically believed they'd win the final, the game, the manner of victory, the utter #scenes at full time, sunshine on leith sung by about 10,000 fans, together made it an iconic game imo. They also mentally broke the ***s for months afterwards, which was just beautiful.

I was not overly confident going into the game at all , we were utter dismal in the league games after defeating Celtic and hibs had already beaten us twice that season . Even at 2-1 I was still not feeling to good about it at all , just had that gut feeling about it. Saying that I Did not think they would win it the way they did , fully expected extra time . 

I'm not bias but the 21st may 2016 was the greatest day I've ever had watching football and I'd still accept another 10 years in the championship to experience that day again. We'd been battered more than I can ever remember in the 2 months before it, losing a cup final, losing the league, losing the play offs.

One of the most open and entertaining cup finals Scottish football has seen for decades, comebacks, pitch invasion , *** seethe, sunshine on leith, Every football supporter in Scotland bar hearts and rangers wanting hibs to win and every football supporter in Scotland bar hearts and rangers basking in our glory with us. Glorious glorious stuff.

Secondly I'd have France 0-1 Scotland. Probably the best and proudest I've felt watching the national team. Beating what was arguably the best side in the world at the time. On their own patch, was unreal.

10 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

See am thinking that , experienced it before aswell in the 2002 Scottish cup final albeit I was still just a young pup at the time . But if you gave me the option of a last minute winner v Celtic in a final or destroying them 5-1 over the 90 minutes and the 90 minutes of sheer winding up that would come with that , all I am saying is I would find it very hard to choose between the two . 

But we aren't talking about us playing Hearts and scoring a last minute winner.  We are talking about us winning the cup for the first time in 114 years, scoring a last minute winner against the most poisonous football club in the country.  And how it broke them completely.  I wouldn't change that for the world personally.

Again though, stay on topic.  Overall, as a neutural 21.05.16 must be the most iconic football match since the bells struck to bring in the millenium. Not personal matches. 

5 minutes ago, 210516 said:

But we aren't talking about us playing Hearts and scoring a last minute winner.  We are talking about us winning the cup for the first time in 114 years, scoring a last minute winner against the most poisonous football club in the country.  And how it broke them completely.  I wouldn't change that for the world personally.

Again though, stay on topic.  Overall, as a neutural 21.05.16 must be the most iconic football match since the bells struck to bring in the millenium. Not personal matches. 

I know pal , I am not trying to down play your win in anyway . Of course it is iconic , no one is saying otherwise . It's a forum and I a discussing the games in question , if you have any major issues with my posts just ignore them or don't reply it's that simple .

The 2016 Scottish Cup Final was probably the greatest narrative based cup finals in a long time possibly ever. Hibernian were a national joke for the past 100 years, recently they lost 2 cup finals, 1 to their biggest rival 5-1,  managed to get relegated despite being comfortably clear in January, losing a playoff system that is in their favour and failing to get promoted in 2 attempts. They became a verb associated with bottlejobs and failure.

Meanwhile Rangers had been going through a period known as 'The Banter Years' where they sloshed about the lower leagues following the old club's death hiring fat has beens, mental Tunisians and random players found on Football Manager. With a Question of Sport team captain and cheeky chappy being the captain of the  sinking ship. After failing to get promoted in hilarious fashion, Rangers appeared to have got their shit together and played football in an aesthetically pleasing manner. With a coach who didn't appear to be all that much of a weapon. It appear like this was Rangers's chance to restore business as usual and get back to the top and be the force that they used to be. They comfortably beat Hibs in the league so it seemed like it was a formality.

The game was wild with Irish Paramilitary sympathiser Anthony Stokes who for the majority of his time on loan was absolutely shite putting in a huge display. The game featured some cracking goals but the last header of the game sparked unprecedented scenes. A hilarious upset, greeting ****, a mass pitch invasion, a quality rendition of Sunshine on Leith and P&B at it's very best. The Banter Years weren't over as in a heads gone summer they signed a psuedo intellectual violent thug, a Harry Redknapp-less Niko Krancjar and for the hell of it Phillipe Senderos. 

The 2016 Scottish cup final was the culmination of the most batshit insane period in Scottish Football and there won't be a game with this much going on around it ever again IMO.

2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

8/2/2000, the 21st century has started, at least if you believe the non-pedantic, and SuperCaleyGoBallistic. Going into work next day and everybody shaking your hand.

Inverness knocked Celtic out the Scottish cup again in 2003 aswell did they not or am I imagining this ?

43 minutes ago, 210516 said:

I would argue neglecting payments as a club to poppy charities, and millions more is a little more shameful.

Only Rangers fans share your point of view mate. I suggest you build a bridge.  We won the cup in the greatest manner ever.  Knocking you boys out on the way. 

Greatest manner ever would be demolishing your city rivals in the showpieve event, but you know that.

18 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

22,000 fans. Good call though

Archived