Hibs vs. Rovers Part 2 - The Quest For Peace

Didn't see a thread for this yuletide joy of a game, so here it is. Having finished the 2nd Quarter (with the Morton game postponed) with 2 wins, 1 loss and 5 draws, and having barely registered a shot on target for most of those it's hard to get too excited about Rovers chances here, albeit on the back of a decent performance against United on Saturday just gone. HIbs have fluffed their lines to pull away at the top in recent weeks but should have more than enough to see us off at Easter Road. Expect mulled wine, goodwill to all men and the sight of Rudi Skacel gracing the Easter Road turf to enliven what might otherwise be a pretty flat game.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to suggest we just talk about this game in the Rovers thread and just hope the NUH (Napier Uni Hibees) didn't notice... Never mind.

Of course Hibs are big favourites and I expect them to win, but we did have a better balance to the team on Sat. I think 9/1 for us is too long.
I was heartened that Locke seemed to realise Stewart and McManus are not suited to playing together, both attempting to do the same thing. In the first ten mins after Stewart came on we were a mess up top. Having the two wingers playing confidently and positively can get us up the park a bit and relieve pressure. If Skacel can disrupt their holding player and everyone is on it we can do ok here.
I thought Matthews was unlucky to drop out on Sat (though obv wouldn't have him at RB ). Wouldn't complain if he came in for Thompson, or if Vaughan replaced Skacel - otherwise would leave it the same.

14 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Was going to suggest we just talk about this game in the Rovers thread and just hope the NUH (Napier Uni Hibees) didn't notice... Never mind.

Of course Hibs are big favourites and I expect them to win, but we did have a better balance to the team on Sat. I think 9/1 for us is too long.
I was heartened that Locke seemed to realise Stewart and McManus are not suited to playing together, both attempting to do the same thing. In the first ten mins after Stewart came on we were a mess up top. Having the two wingers playing confidently and positively can get us up the park a bit and relieve pressure. If Skacel can disrupt their holding player and everyone is on it we can do ok here.
I thought Matthews was unlucky to drop out on Sat (though obv wouldn't have him at RB ). Wouldn't complain if he came in for Thompson, or if Vaughan replaced Skacel - otherwise would leave it the same.

Chris Johnston is starting to show the player he can be, certainly - I think he could be important in the back half of the season for us, his delivery is fantastic.

Chris Johnston is starting to show the player he can be, certainly - I think he could be important in the back half of the season for us, his delivery is fantastic.

You think? We said the exact opposite regarding his delivery. Look at how many times we got the ball in the box but didn't come close to testing the keeper properly on Saturday because of the lack of pace on the cross. The accuracy of the cross is good, but it leaves the attacker with so much to do because they need to generate all the power.

I do think he had a good game, though. Great feet and actually goes past his man which can be a rarity in this league. Took the Utd full back to the cleaners a few times on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You think? We said the exact opposite regarding his delivery. Look at how many times we got the ball in the box but didn't come close to testing the keeper properly on Saturday because of the lack of pace on the cross. The accuracy of the cross is good, but it leaves the attacker with so much to do because they need to generate all the power.

I do think he had a good game, though. Great feet and actually goes past his man which can be a rarity in this league. Took the Utd full back to the cleaners a few times on Saturday.

You are right of course. it's just easy to have your head turned by a pinpoint cross after a few seasons of the Grant Anderson final ball which postcode it ends up in lottery.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This

Can't see me getting a pass for a Christmas Eve game. Given we are having a bit of difficulty scoring goals, or even looking like scoring goals, it's no great hardship.

I can wait for The Pars at New Year. Hopefully some of the players rediscover the joy of scoring a goal sometime soon.

54 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

What happened last time Bartley tried to flatten Barr?

He was wrongly sent off. The wee *** Barr, as you'd expect, cheated like f**k to gain an unfair advantage on the field of play. Standard. 

Archived