Motherwell vs Aberdeen 23/12/16

Early finish on Friday for Christmas, then off for a few drinks before heading to Fir Park for some Friday night football under the lights. Sounds cracking, should be a good atmosphere and if we're lucky hopefully the games half decent as well.

No idea who's fit or what team McGhee will have out but our home form has been good of late so I'm reasonably optimistic about taking something here.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it's on BT Sports, aye.  

So what's the script with Aberdeen at the moment?  Is it just the usual poor run of form at this time of year?  Surely McInnes can't be under pressure?  

I'm looking forward to this one.  Our home record is fairly decent, and if we are up for it from the start and get in the faces of the Aberdeen players, I'm hopeful we can take something from this.

2-1 Motherwell.

I believe it's on BT Sports, aye.  
So what's the script with Aberdeen at the moment?  Is it just the usual poor run of form at this time of year?  Surely McInnes can't be under pressure?  
I'm looking forward to this one.  Our home record is fairly decent, and if we are up for it from the start and get in the faces of the Aberdeen players, I'm hopeful we can take something from this.
2-1 Motherwell.

Lack of continuity, changes in personnel and system meaning players that should be good have no idea what the f**k they should be doing.
You're right to be hopeful, we're in poor form. I'm confident that McInnes will turn it around eventually however, be that this week or the next.
1-1

23 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Lack of continuity, changes in personnel and system meaning players that should be good have no idea what the f**k they should be doing.
You're right to be hopeful, we're in poor form. I'm confident that McInnes will turn it around eventually however, be that this week or the next.
1-1

I know I've been a big defender of Mcinnes but if I did have to criticise his tinkering, it wouldn't be at the front, it would be at the back.

I do find myself a little puzzled at constantly changing the back 4 (or 3 if he sees fit), that does to me seem counter productive.

It really depends which Motherwell side turn up, the one that was 2-0 up by half time against Celtic, the one that shitfested its way to a 1-1 last week or the one that barely laid a glove on ICT. As poor a game as the 0-0 against Killie was we still managed to create at least 5 or 6 clear cut chances that would probably have won the game had we taken them.

As others have alluded to; a lot rests on who's actually fit. At the final whistle last week we had our right back playing left back, right mid playing right back and a centre forward at right mid all due to reshuffling because of injuries and that was along with nagging injury doubts to Cadden, McMillan, McDonald, McManus and Moult over the past few weeks. I wasn't up in Perth so I'm not sure if Ferguson going off was a tactical switch or injury enforced.

I'm curious to see whether Lucas starts on the bench again or not as by all accounts he was revelatory in the midfield in the 4-1 game against County however he played 80 odd mins then was broken (again) in training. Since then we've seen him play 45 mins against Killie and 30mins against St Johnstone so I'm interested as to whether he's been used off the bench with an eye on him building up fitness and getting a run of appearances or not. Given his deal is up in January I'd have thought that a lot would be riding on him playing over the next few games in terms of him being offered an extension until the end of the season.

Our home record thus far is LXXWLLWWLX so it's not great but not bad. The losses have been against St Johnstone, Hearts, ICT & Celtic.

I'm not exactly confident but I wouldn't be completely surprised if this ended a draw, if we're able to get the first goal then who knows.

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I'm probably not going to make it :(

Aberdeen should win as their midfield is much better than ours but I wouldn't be surprised if they bottle it like they did at Fir Park last season.

Admittedly I've seen a lot more of Aberdeen this season than I have Motherwell, but Aberdeen's midfield is their weakest area if you ask me. Last few games I've seen them, they've been very sluggish and haven't created a whole lot. Maddison is a spark but McLean and particularly Shinnie (who I think is a far better left back) have been poor recently imo.

Having said this, Lasley and Clay have, by the sounds of things, been pretty shit and I didn't see much from them on Saturday to contradict this. I think this will be a hard fought game and will probably depend a lot on how we handle Maddison. I'd rather we didn't go down the St Johnstone approach of kicking lumps out of him but tactical fouls might be important.

I think it'll be 1-0 either way and the pessimist in me says it'll go to Aberdeen but looking forward to getting back to Fir Park as I haven't been since the U20s game against Airdrie.

Archived