Heart of Midlothian v Kilmarnock Tuesday December 27th @ 19.45

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sjc said:

That would have been the call had he got the job at Ibrox last year no doubt.

Don't think the Zombies are too fond of the "hail" patter m8. Think that's more the style of them'uns from Parkhead.

Some really good passages of play tonight.

Only down side was losing Paterson and Buaben to injuries - Buaben had been playing well too - looks a different player under Cathro.

Hamilton had a quiet night, but took every cross.

Smith did ok after a nervy start - nice cross for Djoum's goal - should be good for his confidence - the nerves even spread to Souttar, briefly, but Soapy soon got over that, and went on a few decent runs up the park.

Nowak allowed Souttar to step out from the back, and also allowed Buaben and even Kitchen to get up the park - Nowak was unlucky to see a great strike come back off the post.

Walker was tremendous in the second half, as was Johnsen, who should have taken the pen - nice touch in giving Zanatta hugs after his penalty was saved - good save by Jamie Mac, I think, rather than a poor pen - McDonald should have done better with the shot that led to Walker's first - Walker's second was gifted by poor defending - nice finish, though.

Should have scored more than four, but a great result and (mostly) great performance overall.

Looks like the players are enjoying playing under Cathro - not just tonight, but also from the first half performances against Partick and Dundee.

A win and a clean sheet. Good times.

I do like the shield that Nowak gives our CB's. Allows Kitchen to win the ball higher up the park.

I still think that Cathro's coaching for passing football is quite good, and you can see it as we move the ball about better in small doses. His defensive side still leaves me uneasy, even in games like tonight's. I think once he masters that, we can start press higher up the park more. We only seem to press inside our half most of the time. When we did, the way we hounded Boyle not just directly, but intercepting his passes is something I'd like to see us do more of.

I think Cathro wants more CM's as you could see from our bench, we had no out and out ones, even playing Nowak as a makeshift, which again, he absolutely looks good in.

Killie made us look good, but we should be encouraged that we can still play a lot better than that and I'm very much looking forward to how good we could be potentially be after January, when we have a mini pre-season and a player or two of Cathro's liking in.

Aberdeen can absolutely hurt us, but I think if we can continue to focus on shoring up, we can be quite satisfied with where we are trying to go philosophy wise, and by that I mean being a lot more controlling of games and passing the ball more.

Shout to Big Johnsen who gets better every time he plays. It's easy to forget he never played from January due to his old club's issues and you can see he's getting sharper with every game. Moan all you want with 3 year deals like with Sammon and Oshinawa, but when it comes to Johnsen, it could make us a very profitable sum.

Archived