Rangers v Celtic. 31st Dec

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a good post.

The important aspect though is that such people as would identify with the sentiment in that Vanguard Bears piece, are actually very few in number.  Most Rangers fans don't see the world through such eyes.  Now I don't think that Rangers do enough to cut such types adrift, but it's not entirely the club's fault that it's used as a vehicle for such a bonkers world view.

A pretty firm distinction does need drawn between Rangers fans and Vanguard Bears though.  The two groups clearly overlap, but they're not synonymous, as one group is far tinier than the other.

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Spot on.

'Imagine' john Lennon no relation to Neil smart man 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a good post.

The important aspect though is that such people as would identify with the sentiment in that Vanguard Bears piece, are actually very few in number.  Most Rangers fans don't see the world through such eyes.  Now I don't think that Rangers do enough to cut such types adrift, but it's not entirely the club's fault that it's used as a vehicle for such a bonkers world view.

A pretty firm distinction does need drawn between Rangers fans and Vanguard Bears though.  The two groups clearly overlap, but they're not synonymous, as one group is far tinier than the other.

I'd accept that.  Which is why I said that those kind of views are increasingly irrelevant. 

But I do think that Rangers do still act as an anchor for undesirables to latch on to.  At one time I might have said that it was purely a cynical way for Rangers to ensure income and that they rather mercilessly milked those kind of people for cash but I think if you look at the sort of press statements that regularly come out of the club in the present day then I'd say that wouldn't actually be the full story.  Rangers is still a club with something rather nasty and malevolent right at its core.

I have friends who are Rangers supporters and they are modern, intelligent, educated people.  They say they are supporters only for football reasons and I have to take their word on that.  However I know that I couldn't simply ignore the non footballing side.  Every club in the country has unsavoury characters attached to it who have unpleasant personal views but Rangers is a club that has prided itself on a regressive and bigoted tradition and that's why I cannot agree with you that it is not the clubs fault that it is used as a vehicle for lunatics.

It was set up and went out of its way to represent and preserve views that simply aren't acceptable in the modern world.  They made their bed for over 100 years and now they lie in it, regardless of whether the current owners are vehement anti papists.  The club will always be tainted and will always be rotten as a result.

9 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'd accept that.  Which is why I said that those kind of views are increasingly irrelevant. 

But I do think that Rangers do still act as an anchor for undesirables to latch on to.  At one time I might have said that it was purely a cynical way for Rangers to ensure income and that they rather mercilessly milked those kind of people for cash but I think if you look at the sort of press statements that regularly come out of the club in the present day then I'd say that wouldn't actually be the full story.  Rangers is still a club with something rather nasty and malevolent right at its core.

I have friends who are Rangers supporters and they are modern, intelligent, educated people.  They say they are supporters only for football reasons and I have to take their word on that.  However I know that I couldn't simply ignore the non footballing side.  Every club in the country has unsavoury characters attached to it who have unpleasant personal views but Rangers is a club that has prided itself on a regressive and bigoted tradition and that's why I cannot agree with you that it is not the clubs fault that it is used as a vehicle for lunatics.

It was set up and went out of its way to represent and preserve views that simply aren't acceptable in the modern world.  They made their bed for over 100 years and now they lie in it, regardless of whether the current owners are vehement anti papists.  The club will always be tainted and will always be rotten as a result.

I'd agree with most of that.

As I said, I think the club could and should do more, to ensure such types feel thoroughly disenfranchised by Rangers.  I was however, keen to draw a dividing line through the support.  That Vanguard stuff lies at an extreme periphery and deserves to be recognised as such.

I'd imagine you can also expect a challenge on the bit about the club having been "set up" to represent something no longer regarded as acceptable.  I believe that identity arrived later.

I wouldn't argue with the gist of what you're saying though.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd agree with most of that.

As I said, I think the club could and should do more, to ensure such types feel thoroughly disenfranchised by Rangers.  I was however, keen to draw a dividing line through the support.  That Vanguard stuff lies at an extreme periphery and deserves to be recognised as such.

I'd imagine you can also expect a challenge on the bit about the club having been "set up" to represent something no longer regarded as acceptable.  I believe that identity arrived later.

I wouldn't argue with the gist of what you're saying though.

In the minds of the rangers support is that the noisy minority or the silent majority?

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Dissapointing lack of a statement from The Rangers on this.

The Board, management, players and staff of The Rangers Football Club/Company would like to congratulate our fans for their impeccable restraint despite the extreme provocation by certain elements on Saturday, when our staunch goalposts were desecrated by a f***** foreign filthy object, the presence of which would have goaded a saint, far less our support. (Are you sure about that last bit? JT). We stand foursquare behind our fans in these dark days, and assure them that we will do all in our power to overcome our enemies rivals.

No Surrender

God Save The Queen

FTP For God and Ulster

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thoroughly predictable

Unlike the utter diddies wanking furiously over a barely-coherent, bombastic post of ignorance about us being crypto-fascistic racists?  This is the sort of dross you want to appear on match thread after match thread?

We have a whole sub-forum for this rubbish.  You know this as you've posted on it often enough.  It would be good if your fellow Ps&Ds could post their half-baked fantasies about us over there rather than pollute every match thread with their tedious bilge.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Unlike the utter diddies wanking furiously over a barely-coherent, bombastic post of ignorance about us being crypto-fascistic racists?  This is the sort of dross you want to appear on match thread after match thread?

We have a whole sub-forum for this rubbish.  You know this as you've posted on it often enough.  It would be good if your fellow Ps&Ds could post their half-baked fantasies about us over there rather than pollute every match thread with their tedious bilge.

addtext_com_MTgxNTA1MTQ1MDY.jpg

Archived