Hard Brexit: Relation to Scottish Independence.

John Lambies Doos

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Trump had nothing to do with Brexit. His mother was Scottish and his companies are investing well over £100 million in Scotland alone. He is an Anglophile. TTIP and, post-Brexit, Britain will be ahead of the EU for a US trade deal.

The EU has opened up its markets to Canada with 98% of tariffs abolished. The EU has a large trade surplus with the UK. It needs access to the City capital and markets markets. Why should it screw Britain by imposing tariffs on our goods and services? McWhirter does not even address those basic issues. 

Like it or not, Trump is President for the next four years. It's in our interests to be at the front of the queue for a trade deal. Obama said that we would be at the back of the queue. Thankfully, that lazy EUphile tosser is out of office. Frankly, I'd rather be at the front.

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

And so should every elected Leader, President or PM.

Britain is in a very strong bargaining position the UK has a huge trade deficit with EU and the Euro depends upon the City's clearing system. If the EU tries to screw Britain in the Brexit deal, it will screw itself even more.

Am I to take it from your posts that Scotland would be in a strong bargaining position with rUK in the event of independence.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britain is in a very strong bargaining position - the EU has a huge trade deficit with UK and the Euro depends upon the City's clearing system. If the EU tries to screw Britain in the Brexit deal, it will screw itself even more.

You really are in cloud cuckoo land if you think we are in a strong bargaining position.

15 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Britain is in a very strong bargaining position - the EU has a huge trade deficit with UK and the Euro depends upon the City's clearing system. If the EU tries to screw Britain in the Brexit deal, it will screw itself even more.

You write pretty well.

It's just a shame that what you say is utter fucking nonsense.

16 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Am I to take it from your posts that Scotland would be in a strong bargaining position with rUK in the event of independence.

Of course. Scotland is an important market for rUK businesses. 

The big challenge for iScotland would be Government borrowing on the international markets without the Bank of England's support.

27 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The big challenge for iScotland would be Government borrowing on the international markets without the Bank of England's support.

I'm sure that will only be a challenge in the short term(5 to 10 years).

4 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Of course. Scotland is an important market for rUK businesses. 

Will we be borrowing sterling, euros, francs or groats? Still no answer to the BIG currency question.

Will we be borrowing sterling, euros, francs or groats? Still no answer to the BIG currency question.

Why do we need to borrow? just keep the wealth we create ourselves for a change, instead of building infrastructure in our parts of the UK. A motorway to Inverness to help business and the economy would certainly help, oh, and some ports which we haven't got. Speculate to accumulate, forget borrowing.

10 hours ago, bob the tank said:

Why do we need to borrow? just keep the wealth we create ourselves for a change, instead of building infrastructure in our parts of the UK. A motorway to Inverness to help business and the economy would certainly help, oh, and some ports which we haven't got. Speculate to accumulate, forget borrowing.

Dream on

I'm all for debate on the EU thing (too late, I think) but it has to be informed. I am the first to admit I do not know every single thing about EU treaties, contracts, agreements, rules, regulations etc, but am prepared to leave that to professionals whose job it is to know this stuff.  However, I try to remain informed but I still believe the leave vote was made by very uninformed (ignorant) people.

Last night I saw for the first time the woman on Question Time who said she voted leave (changed her mind on the way to the polling station)  because of EU rules on straight bananas and cucumbers. This is of course , nonsense. The show was called "The Fake News Show". 

Today I overheard two women talking about the NHS charging foreigners for non-emergency treatment. (I agree)  I wondered how long it would be before this was the EU's fault and sure enough , France was soon getting the blame because they let immigrants into 'England' at Calais.

I also spoke to a Scottish friend living in England whom I hadn't spoken to in a while. He voted leave mainly because he didn't want 70 million Turks arriving here.   And so it goes on, pish and nonsense being offered as fact.

I despair. Fascism is on the rise and conflict in Europe is inevitable, eventually. For once I'm glad I'm old. Good luck to all young folk, you'll need it.

On 2/5/2017 at 21:44, Bishop Briggs said:

It is when it comes to tariffs. The common external tariffs make imports from outside the EU more expensive. The CAP subsidies are a major factor too.

Outside the EU, Britain can reduce or abolish tariffs on goods from developing countries. It can level the playing field to alleviate the distortions caused by EU subsidies. Brexit will a great opportunity to link trade and aid to tackle poverty in poor countries.

I read that the government intends to replace the EU subsidies to landowners with its own. No respite for the tax payer. 

The A9 is getting dualled as we speak, due for completion 2080 probably. I'd like to see one of them new vacuum tube things that go 700 mph, or at least a train that goes faster than 40mph.

1 hour ago, cyderspaceman said:

I read that the government intends to replace the EU subsidies to landowners with its own. No respite for the tax payer. 

FFS Mrs Windsor will be pleased.

On 21/01/2017 at 11:09, Wee Willie said:

and ye can count me in with the Leavers as soon as I read that Mrs Windsor got almost £1m from the EU Common Agricultural Policy for one of her farms.
And here's me thinking the fund was tae help poor farmers in the EU.
Once bitten etc...

The Queen, aristocrats and Saudi prince among recipients of EU farm subsidies
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/29/the-queen-aristocrats-and-saudi-prince-among-recipients-of-eu-farm-subsidies

On 05/02/2017 at 23:10, RedRob72 said:

Imagine the good people of Greece, Spain, Portugal even Italy might have a re-think given how their respective economies have faired under €Euro integration Post 1999?

Why would we (Scotland) be prepared to throw our hand in amongst such an unstable security!? No thanks.

Eurozone doing well according to FT.

The eurozone economy has now posted 14 consecutive quarters of growth, the unemployment rate has returned into single digits, and economic sentiment has reached its highest level in six years. The numbers contrast with common depictions of the eurozone economy as stagnant, sclerotic and perennially underperforming.

https://www.ft.com/content/0bbc026a-ea12-11e6-967b-c88452263daf

49 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

The eurozone economy has now posted 14 consecutive quarters of growth, the unemployment rate has returned into single digits, and economic sentiment has reached its highest level in six years. The numbers contrast with common depictions of the eurozone economy as stagnant, sclerotic and perennially underperforming.

Facts are so 2010. People now want The Daily Mail, Boris Johnson, and words in big letters stuck on the side of a red bus to tell them what to vote for.

On 05/02/2017 at 23:10, RedRob72 said:

Imagine the good people of Greece, Spain, Portugal even Italy might have a re-think given how their respective economies have faired under €Euro integration Post 1999?

Why would we (Scotland) be prepared to throw our hand in amongst such an unstable security!? No thanks.

Spain in particular has done fantastically well out of the EU. The property crash hit them big style, sure, but it's rapidly recovering. I remember when you were quicker riding a donkey than getting a train, it was literally a 3rd world country in the seventies.

1 hour ago, Crùbag said:

Can you copy paste those articles please.

Archived