Berwick Rangers 1-0 Glasgow Rangers - Saturday 28/01/1967

Hallowed Turf

A mate of mine was at that game. The cheap Scouse git got a free ticket from a player he knew. Do I win £5? 

1967.jpg

members of the 1967 team attend Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers earlier in the season. Good guys 

Beautiful. I'll never tire of watching that move at 4:14. Pass, flick, shot, goal - eternity.

Sitting here with a tear in my eye.

Not sure why really, given that Hibernian is your well-publisiced "big team".

Proper Berwick fans are well entitled to their moment: you, not so much IMHO.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Terrific interview.  Wee Bud had a dram!

They are right about Dave Smith.  A thoroughly cultured footballer, much loved by we Bears and underappreciated elsewhere.

I mentioned in my blog how my uncle took me along to the next round at Easter Road in an attempt to turn me into a hibby. Hibs beat Berwick 1-0 with Big Jock saving a penalty. Dave Smith was something else. Used to dribble past players on his own 6 yard line.

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I mentioned in my blog how my uncle took me along to the next round at Easter Road in an attempt to turn me into a hibby. Hibs beat Berwick 1-0 with Big Jock saving a penalty. Dave Smith was something else. Used to dribble past players on his own 6 yard line.

Post a link to your blog, buddy.  I always like reading these.

There is also an argument to be made that losing to Berwick also cost us The ECWC later in the season.  We sold Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean after this game, blaming them for the defeat.  Consequently, we couldn't find a goal vs Bayern Munich in the final, which we lost in extra time.  Mind you, dropping Alex Willoughby in place of Roger Hynde didn't help.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

There is also an argument to be made that losing to Berwick also cost us The ECWC later in the season.  We sold Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean after this game, blaming them for the defeat.  Consequently, we couldn't find a goal vs Bayern Munich in the final, which we lost in extra time.  Mind you, dropping Alex Willoughby in place of Roger Hynde didn't help.

Main page is here - Moving the Goalposts then scroll down to Hibs if that's what you're after.

It's also in my sig but apparently you won't see it if you're on a phone.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

They both ended up at Pittodrie.

9 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Main page is here - Moving the Goalposts then scroll down to Hibs if that's what you're after.

It's also in my sig but apparently you won't see it if you're on a phone.

Thanks, china.  I'll give it a look.  I also turn sigs off as they are almost always dross.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They both ended up at Pittodrie.

I have a hefty wager they were cousins?  Did I just make that up?

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks, china.  I'll give it a look.  I also turn sigs off as they are almost always dross.

I'm sure they were.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

They were cousins. Jim's still living, but I think Alex died fairly recently ("recent" being in the last 5 years).*

* 13 years ago! :o

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They were cousins. Jim's still living, but I think Alex died fairly recently ("recent" being in the last 5 years).

How was Jim rated at Aberdeen, JG?  Maybe ex eventu thinking but he's a bit of a hero who was flung under a bus.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

How was Jim rated at Aberdeen, JG?  Maybe ex eventu thinking but he's a bit of a hero who was flung under a bus.

I would always have had him in my team, but he was somewhat overshadowed by Joe Harper.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Were they contemporaries?  My internal timeline has Forrest predating Harper.

They were - they were both in the 1970 Scottish Cup winning team.

Jim Forrest arrived at the end of season 67/68, IIRC, and Joe was signed the following season, I think.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

They were - they were both in the 1970 Scottish Cup winning team.

I have to update myself.  You had a good team around that time.  I recall going to Ibrox and us getting pumped 0-2 with only Sandy Jardine cutting the mustard.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I have to update myself.  You had a good team around that time.  I recall going to Ibrox and us getting pumped 0-2 with only Sandy Jardine cutting the mustard.

Should really have won the league in 70/71, 6 home draws against Airdrie, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Rangers, Celtic and Motherwell (all of whom we defeated away from home) did for us. I may have mentioned this before...

Archived