Scottish Islands

8MileBU

Remember the olden days when you could rely on Calmac? I know they face challenges with the surge in passengers due to the road tariff subsidy but these days I'm constantly checking their Service Status before I leave. The Arran ferry at weekends is a nightmare.

The digital detox hasn't exactly gone to plan but I'll wait til I get home before sharing most of the stuff. But I think it would be rude not to let you see the current view I'm enjoying right now in Arisaig. Skye tomorrow!20180616_211941.jpg

Arran was a great weekend. I lived there for 9 years so that was really just about catching up with folk but I took some time out from that to walk up Goatfell. The midges were fierce and my legs were bitten so much that it looked like I had measles. But well worth the view at the top. Unfortunately the pics are too big to upload to here.

I then travelled to Islay and set up camp in Port Charlotte. Excellent campsite and within walking distance of the local hostelries. I wasn't too impressed with the Port Charlotte hotel as it seemed a wee bit pretentious to me. The fault of the staff rather than the customers imo. The staff didn't seem to want to take anyone else for food and actively tried to put them off. And this was at 6 o'clock rather than just before the kitchen closed. The Lochindaal hotel nearby was more my kind of place. The staff were excellent and the customers were happy to get involved with each other and ended up having two great nights in there. On my one full day there I had a drive round the island and did the Bowmore distillery tour which was really interesting and great value at just £10. I also had a wander round the Laphraoig visitor centre and a trip to Finlaggan.20180612_140952.jpg20180612_143057.jpg20180612_162308.jpg20180612_083557.jpg

Colonsay was next. I was staying in the backpacker's lodge which was fine. Storm Hector arrived during the first night but had pretty much blown through by lunchtime so I had a wander to Kiloran bay which has a fantastic beach. It was only later I discovered that a whale was washed up there about Christmas but I hadn't walked far enough to see it. The next day I took advantage of the tide to walk to Oronsay which was a great walk. A mixture of road, farm tracks and a beach to get there and back from the lodge. The local hotel was very welcoming from both staff and locals. Someone earlier in the thread recommended the local brew which was indeed delicious. I'll be looking for some the next time I'm at the supermarket but I'm not hopeful. The long straight road below is included because I loved looking down that far and I was the only person there. 20180614_130432.jpg20180614_140652.jpg20180615_144408.jpg20180615_220650.jpg

I had been looking forward to Skye the most on this trip and I was left disappointed. There only seemed to be two campsites available unless I joined the camping and caravanning club which I have no interest in joining. One was at Sligachan which looked like a miserable place to stay. I don't think I have high standards but this campsite was nowhere near acceptable to me. The toilet block was pretty grim and it was too near the main road for my liking. The other site was in Dunvegan which was in a great location and seemed quiet enough but the cold showers put me off staying there. Still, I had a good drive around before deciding to cut my losses and head over the bridge. I feel like I haven't given the place a fair crack of the whip, so I'll likely look at booking somewhere that isn't a campsite and head back. It feels like unfinished business as I definitely want to get up some of the hills there.

20180617_141504.jpg20180617_145816.jpg20180617_100757.jpg

Shetland for me last week. Only there a couple of days but managed to get a drive about and see a few of the sights, including:

Fort Charlotte

IMG_6635.thumb.jpg.e86e83b29e33aa19b78bc8ff6af2616d.jpg

Dore Holm

IMG_6596.thumb.jpg.3c3862c10546f3e90bac254d364bb9e6.jpg

Sumburgh Lighthouse

IMG_6671.thumb.jpg.bffc96bf3483636ad072eeefa5293b92.jpg

Some puffins

IMG_6696.thumb.jpg.33e77f347f6c539be5a508c6e8b1ea88.jpg

and St Ninians Isle

IMG_6711.thumb.jpg.061021e8146c094ea1425754ccbaab8c.jpg

Absolutely no desire to ever do those overnight ferries from/to Aberdeen again though!

Edited by 8MileBU

I have heard a few people saying the midges have been particularly bad this year and I myself got horrendously bitten near Tarbert at the start of the month. Pretty sure that Colonsay beer is fairly widely available.

Colonsay was next. I was staying in the backpacker's lodge which was fine. Storm Hector arrived during the first night but had pretty much blown through by lunchtime so I had a wander to Kiloran bay which has a fantastic beach. It was only later I discovered that a whale was washed up there about Christmas but I hadn't walked far enough to see it. The next day I took advantage of the tide to walk to Oronsay which was a great walk. A mixture of road, farm tracks and a beach to get there and back from the lodge. The local hotel was very welcoming from both staff and locals. Someone earlier in the thread recommended the local brew which was indeed delicious. I'll be looking for some the next time I'm at the supermarket but I'm not hopeful. The long straight road below is included because I loved looking down that far and I was the only person there. 20180614_130432.thumb.jpg.bd3d1c59c2c4945860e34aa728ec8006.jpg20180614_140652.thumb.jpg.597fcfddd75e90954ece46401183c74d.jpg20180615_144408.thumb.jpg.8b6fb6a2b6feb1ef111c3073102b4731.jpg20180615_220650.thumb.jpg.8a1792149bb4dc23b1281ff199f69aa0.jpg
Dave, where do you live mate?? There's a wine merchants in North Berwick that stocks beers from that brewery.

On 6/21/2018 at 18:38, 8MileBU said:

and St Ninians Isle

IMG_6711.thumb.jpg.061021e8146c094ea1425754ccbaab8c.jpg

Absolutely no desire to ever do those overnight ferries from/to Aberdeen again though!

When it's sunnier you would see Foula and Walls from there out on the far horizons and the views can be really spectacular. Nothing beats Da Roost off Sumburgh Head in gale force winds to find out whether you have sea legs.

When it's sunnier you would see Foula and Walls from there out on the far horizons and the views can be really spectacular. Nothing beats Da Roost off Sumburgh Head in gale force winds to find out whether you have sea legs.

Yeah we could see right out, the photo just hasn’t picked it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Thinking of heading for Harris and staying 1 night there, then Skye for a night on the way back and then a night in Glencoe. Too much to fit into 3 days or reasonable?

Doable but rushed. I think ye'll miss too much by trying to fit in too much if ye know what I mean?

On 05/11/2018 at 11:06, Honest_Man#1 said:

Thinking of heading for Harris and staying 1 night there, then Skye for a night on the way back and then a night in Glencoe. Too much to fit into 3 days or reasonable?

Sounds hellish like going places just to tick them off. Spend the 3 nights in Glen Coe and have a week in Harris next June. Or a fortnight.