Mark McGhee sacked

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Correct decision. 

Done a terrific job last year but this season has been very poor and recently we've just lurched from one disaster to another.

Even after the Aberdeen debacle I was willing to give him to the end of the season but to follow that up with shipping 5 goals in the 1st half on Saturday it was clear something had to change.

Clutching at straws but did Robinson's Oldham not have a good defensive record but struggled to score? If he could even just tighten things up at the back in the short term, with the firepower of Moult and McDonald up front hopefully we can start to pick up a few points. 

Yeah. I think big Ripley has/had the most clean sheets in the division.

I'd be happy if we stopped conceding so many. On current form Moult could score a hat trick every week and we'd still lose due to the suicidal defending we're employing.

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Correct decision. 

Done a terrific job last year but this season has been very poor and recently we've just lurched from one disaster to another.

Even after the Aberdeen debacle I was willing to give him to the end of the season but to follow that up with shipping 5 goals in the 1st half on Saturday it was clear something had to change.

Clutching at straws but did Robinson's Oldham not have a good defensive record but struggled to score? If he could even just tighten things up at the back in the short term, with the firepower of Moult and McDonald up front hopefully we can start to pick up a few points. 

They did, aye. In his 24 games in charge it was something like 7 clean sheets and 8 games where they only conceded 1.

3 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Correct decision. 

IMG_0460.thumb.PNG.6b23ea09b8b09e7c2c3da8073f9bc0c7.PNG

McGhee is smack bang in the middle of the 'jobs for the boys' ethos that exists in Scottish football.

Expect to see and hear him on Sportscene and Sportsound for the foreseeable future.  Along with his own 'hard hitting' column in the Sun or the Record.

An arrogant, unpleasant arsehole of a man who refused to ever take accountability. Exactly the type of manager who is part of the issues that have resulted in Scotland being shite and Scottish players being miles behind so many other countries.

Like everyone else I fully expect the usual media wagon circling and defensive of him, but Motherwell have done the right thing and are well rid. Had they kept him they could very well have been spending some time in the Championship.

Hopefully he is soon punted from the Scotland setup (along with Strachan) and never allowed anywhere near it ever again.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

McGhee is smack bang in the middle of the 'jobs for the boys' ethos that exists in Scottish football.

Expect to see and hear him on Sportscene and Sportsound for the foreseeable future.  Along with his own 'hard hitting' column in the Sun or the Record.

I'll only be reading it if he "shoots from the hip" and or "tells it straight".

Had a job interview today and I don't care if I get a call saying i got the job... or anything like that. It will still be the second best thing I've heard all day. Cheerio McGhee! Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

3 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

He joins Ronnie and warbs in the great Scottish football managing minters in the sky . Goodbye mark :(xx

I'd say the Magic Hat quite comfortably tops the list considering he had the second highest budget in Scottish football yet left Sevco with the club sitting third in a two horse race.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Unfortunately the king is now a guy who was involved with us when we finished lower than we are now in a league sans Hearts and Rangers. 

I was broadly a McGhee supporter but in a way I'm glad he's gone because, if I'm right, McGhee can no longer be used as a scapegoat for much larger and wider trends at the club by supporters. 

Personally I think a lot of our support has unrealistic ambitions for a club the size and budget of today's fan owned Motherwell.  They have been spoiled by almost 20 years, with the occasional blip, of relative success and now they are struggling to adjust to a new reality.  

I'd love to be proved wrong because I go to almost every match and I'd prefer to see wins than 1-5 drubbings but I honestly don't see us getting significantly better, we won't get anywhere near Top 6 this season or in the foreseeable future and even if we stay up, next season will be even harder to compete with another city club coming into the league.

On our current budget, which I support by the way, we can't turn over the sort of accounts we were in the Higdon/Randolph/Nicky Law days and financially survive, I just can't see us not getting relegated in the near future.

30 years of Premier level football has given too many of our support a Billy-Big-Boy attitude.  They conveniently forget we should have been relegated numerous times in that period and that those 30 years are not on merit.

My overview is that I think a lot of people are in for a big shock post McGhee.  Maybe it will sink in, or maybe they'll just blame Samson.

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The king is dead, long live the king.

Unfortunately the king is now a guy who was involved with us when we finished lower than we are now in a league sans Hearts and Rangers. 

I was broadly a McGhee supporter but in a way I'm glad he's gone because, if I'm right, McGhee can no longer be used as a scapegoat for much larger and wider trends at the club by supporters. 

Personally I think a lot of our support has unrealistic ambitions for a club the size and budget of today's fan owned Motherwell.  They have been spoiled by almost 20 years, with the occasional blip, of relative success and now they are struggling to adjust to a new reality.  

I'd love to be proved wrong because I go to almost every match and I'd prefer to see wins than 1-5 drubbings but I honestly don't see us getting significantly better, we won't get anywhere near Top 6 this season or in the foreseeable future and even if we stay up, next season will be even harder to compete with another city club coming into the league.

On our current budget, which I support by the way, we can't turn over the sort of accounts we were in the Higdon/Randolph/Nicky Law days and financially survive, I just can't see us not getting relegated in the near future.

30 years of Premier level football has given too many of our support a Billy-Big-Boy attitude.  They conveniently forget we should have been relegated numerous times in that period and that those 30 years are not on merit.

My overview is that I think a lot of people are in for a big shock post McGhee.  Maybe it will sink in, or maybe they'll just blame Samson.

I agree with this massively.

There's also a power of shite being talked in this thread about McGhee. He's rightfully been sacked, but lumping him in as 'a reason Scottish football is shite'? Nah, not for me.