St Johnstone v Dundee 11th March 2017

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Er, utter rot  Hartley, with the budget at his disposal should be doing a lot better. Yes, he's had to sell good players but, even with this income, over the last two seasons we've made a loss. Every manager has to cope with losing good players. Unfortunately he's wasted a good chunk of it on his theory that lots of lightweight midfielders is the way to progress. I remember watching Saints v Inverness and thinking how could Hartley think that Williams was worth signing on a pre contract. I'm still wondering now. We are in a real battle against teams on a lot lower budget - that is due to the managers decisions   

The sales of Hemmings and Stewart were not included in our accounts from last year so I'm intrigued to know how you know we've made a loss. You watched someone play one game and that's enough to base a concrete opinion on? Ok. Getting players on a pre contract is a gamble, they're not all going to work out brilliantly, surely you can understand that?

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We also lost Harkins and McGinn...

All youre doing is highlighting how poor a job hes done. He had a better squad last season by your own admission, but despite getting transfer fees, wages freed up and an increased budget, you're worse this season.

All youre doing is highlighting how poor a job hes done. He had a better squad last season by your own admission, but despite getting transfer fees, wages freed up and an increased budget, you're worse this season.

No i'm not?[emoji23] You must be on the wind up or something. How are we worse this season when we're in the same place we finished last season, 3 points off top 6? That's with having Rangers in the league instead of shore like Dundee United as well.

Well yeah, but I'd argue you under-achieved by not making the top six last season. 
And pretty much, yeah. We virtually lost that amount when May and Hasselbaink left us after 2013/14. In fact....
Stewart and Hemmings 15/16 = 37 goals
May and Hasselbaink 13/14 = 33 goals
And we coped fine the following season

We under achieved by missing out by a point on the last day pre-split. Fine margins.

Hartley has done a very good job for us. He made an arse of recruitment in the summer and it's cost us. He's enough in the bank to survive that as long as we don't go down.

I'd be seriously questioning the board if we disposed of him in the summer.

Using Wright as an example, he's massively overachieving each season with St J. He'd be crucified at Dens though for his style of play which is where a large part of Hartley's criticism comes from this season. Add to the fact that we are recovering from some body blows with our best players leaving is what's leading to the 'HARTLEY OUT' shouts.

We just need to get this season over and done with and allow Hartley to regroup. The worrying thing is the amount of dross tied up to 2-3 year deals.

The year after we lost Sandaza, Haber, Sheridan, Morris and Enckelmann (30+ goals, our captain and our first choice goalkeeper for the bulk of the season before) we finished third. We signed the likes of Rowan Vine, Tade and Paddy Cregg to replace them. 

One thing we've mastered is regeneration, particularly in the forward areas. It does help when we've got the solid foundation and continuity in the likes of Anderson, Davidson, Millar and Craig though. 

I felt that 2-0 flattered Dundee at half time today and we were the better team by far over the 90 minutes. Dundee did improve after the break but I never felt under any real danger to be honest. 

Paton, Craig and Alston were outstanding today - best performance I've seen from Paton so far. Felt Shaughnessy put in a mature display beside a slightly shakey Scobbie. The cross field pass for the first goal was a pearler as well. 

Missed sitter aside, I thought Cummins put in a great shift today beside Maclean who wasn't quite at his usual standard. 

That's the first time I've seen us turn the screw in the way we did today in the first half this season. Our tempo and pressing were much better and not conceded a daft goal early doors clearly helped settle nerves. 

Dundee were pretty dreadful tbh. I don't see much to fear in their team other than Haber, who has refined his game a lot since leaving saints. He looks a much better player now than he did then. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

We under achieved by missing out by a point on the last day pre-split. Fine margins.

Hartley has done a very good job for us. He made an arse of recruitment in the summer and it's cost us. He's enough in the bank to survive that as long as we don't go down.

I'd be seriously questioning the board if we disposed of him in the summer.

Using Wright as an example, he's massively overachieving each season with St J. He'd be crucified at Dens though for his style of play which is where a large part of Hartley's criticism comes from this season. Add to the fact that we are recovering from some body blows with our best players leaving is what's leading to the 'HARTLEY OUT' shouts.

You shouldn't have needed to wait until the final day to secure top six. A team containing Bain, Stewart and Hemmings should've strolled into last seasons top half, we went three months with only one win and still managed it FFS.

And whats with this "style of play" dross that gets spouted out, some of the interplay between Swanson, MacLean and Alston was outstanding today, total one touch stuff. I'd rather have these intelligent players in the team than a bunch of sideways passing "footballing" cowards like Vincent and McGowan.

Probably as comfortable a win as there has been at home this season. Only disappointment is that a third didn't come to completely kill the game.

Paton was terrific, particularly in the first half. Felt he typified the difference in the teams - everytime the ball was lost he was harrying whereas Dundee seemed completely uninterested in the "ugly" side of the game.

Lot of good performances though. Joe did well handling Haber especially as Scobbie had a few of his "moments". He had a terrific clearance at the back post in the first half under pressure from Haber, which I don't think would have been seen properly from the other three stands. Cummins caused problems all afternoon. Both full backs good, as was Craig and Alston.

Regards the goals, thought Bain looked suspect for the second but at the first he was left pretty exposed.

You shouldn't have needed to wait until the final day to secure top six. A team containing Bain, Stewart and Hemmings should've strolled into last seasons top half, we went three months with only one win and still managed it FFS.
And whats with this "style of play" dross that gets spouted out, some of the interplay between Swanson, MacLean and Alston was outstanding today, total one touch stuff. I'd rather have these intelligent players in the team than a bunch of sideways passing "footballing" cowards like Vincent and McGowan.

We shouldn't have strolled the top 6 at all - we had 3 very good players but strong deficiencies in the team throughout as well. St Johnstone have had a strong spine for the past 5-6 seasons whereas we are still finding our feet from coming up and this has been the first setback season we have had.

I was saying pretty much the exact same about your team after we played at Dens. The fluid interplay between O'Hara, Cammy Kerr and Haber was great to watch whilst Paton, Swanson and Alston struggled to pass beyond the half way line.

Again - as I say fine margins.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

We shouldn't have strolled the top 6 at all - we had 3 very good players but strong deficiencies in the team throughout as well. 

Well yeah, every team in the league has massive deficiencies. As I said, between the 5th of December and the split (9th April), we won three league games. THREE.

And we still made the top half. You had two players who could create and score for fun and couldnt make it. 

Thats underachieving, to me. If you want to make excuses about failing to finish higher than a team who were playing so horrendous then fine, carry on.

Well yeah, every team in the league has massive deficiencies. As I said, between the 5th of December and the split (9th April), we won three league games. THREE.
And we still made the top half. You had two players who could create and score for fun and couldnt make it. 
Thats underachieving, to me. If you want to make excuses about failing to finish higher than a team who were playing so horrendous then fine, carry on.

I think your comment says more about the league in general that it does about Dundee.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I think your comment says more about the league in general that it does about Dundee.

Yeah, I made the point last season that every team who failed to make the top half should be utterly embarrassed to have finished behind us. Most of them didnt have one of the top scorers in the league though.

Fair play to Wright.  There is no doubt about it he has massively over achieved with what is available to him at  St Johnstone.  The fact that he is the only manager in the history of St Johnstone to have led the club to a major trophy is proof of that I would suggest. 

By the way there's no one happier than me that he did win the Scotiish cup.  Could you imagine if United had won it?  It would have meant they had won more major trophies than Dundee.  That truly would be unacceptable!

44 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Fair play to Wright.  There is no doubt about it he has massively over achieved with what is available to him at  St Johnstone.  The fact that he is the only manager in the history of St Johnstone to have led the club to a major trophy is proof of that I would suggest. 

By the way there's no one happier than me that he did win the Scotiish cup.  Could you imagine if United had won it?  It would have meant they had won more major trophies than Dundee.  That truly would be unacceptable!

:lol:

Archived