Hertz v Ra Sellick....Tynecastle title party?

13 hours ago, HibsFan said:

LincolnHearts absolutely losing the plot because some folk are smart enough to make a few quid off their own team being useless from time to time :lol:

I put -2 on for Barcelona playing us last year, just scraped over the line with that bet. :rolleyes:

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Ross. said:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally

literally

adverb

• 1In a literal manner or sense; exactly.

‘the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout’

‘tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’’

informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    ‘I was literally blown away by the response I got’

Usage

In its standard use literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a non-literal or exaggerated sense’, as for example in I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn't expect him to take it literally. In recent years an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in non-literal contexts, for added effect, as in they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects (we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal contexts, though it is widespread.

SJC has used the word correctly within the context of his point,

c***s.

No.

This slippage is not acceptable.  

Literally means literally.  Literally.

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No.

This slippage is not acceptable.  

Literally means literally.  Literally.

It's not slippage, it's the evolution of language. Or the b*****disation. Whatever the case, society has pandered to the ignorant and as a result SJC is correct.

So we're at a stage where literally might not literally mean literally, although literally may mean figuratively, which literally doesn't mean literally - it's literally the opposite. 

English language is a b*****d

1 minute ago, deej said:

So we're at a stage where literally might not literally mean literally, although literally may mean figuratively, which literally doesn't mean literally - it's literally the opposite. 

Literally does mean literally, but there are literally a few ways in which you can mean it.

26 minutes ago, Ross. said:

It's not slippage, it's the evolution of language. Or the b*****disation. Whatever the case, society has pandered to the ignorant and as a result SJC is correct.

No.  I'm not having it.

Never surrender.

24 minutes ago, deej said:

The English language is wonderful and its evolution is a thing of beauty.

This however, is simply wrong.  Sometimes, a stance needs taken.

11 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Have the mindless thugs who were trying to attack Lustig been identified and banned yet?

Why were Celtic fans trying to attack their own player?

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally

literally

adverb

• 1In a literal manner or sense; exactly.

‘the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout’

‘tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’’

informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    ‘I was literally blown away by the response I got’

Usage

In its standard use literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a non-literal or exaggerated sense’, as for example in I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn't expect him to take it literally. In recent years an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in non-literal contexts, for added effect, as in they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects (we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal contexts, though it is widespread.

SJC has used the word correctly within the context of his point,

c***s.

Of course I'm right, I'm an English teacher! 

8s3ynx5ZjiPHCQMsRb0j2D44W_5vHCVU1P5MN-vM7VP8ilQWstI8OGhJmmyBwHvB1teHuQ=w500-h200-nc-1.gif

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I was listening to an English language expert last year who was describing 'literally' and basically said the same thing. He said although it started off being used incorrectly, it has become so common that it has become an accepted defintion and that is how language evolves, as you said. Unfortunately he went on to say that this is what is going to happen with 'would of/could of/should of' due to it being so widely used despite it being fundamentally wrong. 

I've never been involved in an uprising, a protest or even so much as held a placard, but I am prepared to martyr myself to prevent this from happening. PM me if anyone wants to join the cause.

Archived