Worst sayings in Scottish Football

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More a European football thing, but the RESPECT culture on ultras/fanatics Twitter accounts is cringey as hell.

"Steven N'Zonzi give his shirt to sick kids hospital and meet some children RT = RESPECT"

"INSANE tifo from Zagreb fans against UEFA. RESPECT. "

Followed by a series of pictures of fans behaving like animals in Holland or Turkey or Madrid (if you're Leicester) praising their Ultras for #AwayDayCulture.

This is usually followed by complaints of police brutality on innocent fans and "shocking images" of idiots with balaclavas and flares and blood running down their face from being battered by the polis.

1 GREENIE = 1 RESPECT

54 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

More a European football thing, but the RESPECT culture on ultras/fanatics Twitter accounts is cringey as hell.

"Steven N'Zonzi give his shirt to sick kids hospital and meet some children RT = RESPECT"

Followed by a series of pictures of fans behaving like animals in Holland or Turkey or Madrid (if you're Leicester) praising their Ultras for #AwayDayCulture.

This is usually followed by complaints of police brutality on innocent fans and "shocking images" of idiots with balaclavas and flares and blood running down their face from being battered by the polis.

1 GREENIE = 1 RESPECT

Respect

From a St Johnstone fan 

"Two banks of four"

"Keep it tight and nick a goal"

Utter loser talk that permeates throughout Scottish football, especially among dullards like Billy Dodds and Alan Preston, and goes some to explaining why so many Scottish teams simply aren't very good.

1 GREENIE = 1 RESPECT

Heavy Hands, Empty Stands.

Shared, Milngavie x

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:26, The_Kincardine said:

Managers on a reduced budget saying, "You have to cut your cloth".  The Big Freckle was especially guilty of this but many other managers have used it too.

John Hughes, come on down.

You could do a whole thread with just his phrases alone. "Boiler suit mentality", "have to be resolute", etc.

"Season books".
Surely most clubs have had cards in place of a season ticket book for years now? 
For some reason I once put my season ticket book in to the postbox just along from East End (near the entrance to the cemetery on Halbeath Road; it was after the final game of the season).

Dundee still use ticket books.

I'd suggest the majority of clubs still use ticket books other than Celtic and Rangers and a couple of others that have more recently developed stadiums.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dundee still use ticket books.

I'd suggest the majority of clubs still use ticket books other than Celtic and Rangers and a couple of others that have more recently developed stadiums.

Doesn't matter on the age of your stadium. It's fairly straightforward to install card readers at turnstiles.

Doesn't matter on the age of your stadium. It's fairly straightforward to install card readers at turnstiles.

Might well be, but it's a fairly pointless outlay when the ticket books still work fine and Scottish clubs watch every penny, as such it's why the majority haven't changed.

Just now, The Marly said:

Just spotted a new one in the Daily Retard from Craig Swan. When talking about O'Halloran's no show her uses the phrase "failure to trap" Never heard it before. And there's a reason for that - it's bollocks.

You've never heard that phrase before??

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Liam McLeod saying "nothing" instead of "nil" really annoys me. 

I wish the c**t would just say nothing permanently.

Yes.

He truly is appalling. He's like an even more terrible, high-pitched version of Paul 'plums in his mouth' Mitchell.

Players always using the word "obviously" at the start of every sentence during a post match interview.

Not so much a Scottish thing but the new hipsterish way of describing playing positions. "False nines" and "The number ten role" being prime examples.

On 10 April 2017 at 19:57, Dindeleux said:

Anything Derek. Ferguson says on Sportsound as. it feels as if someone. has written it for. him without putting it into. sentences and then just asked. Derek to drop. full stops in wherever. he liked and read it. as such.

On 10 April 2017 at 20:07, Spikethedee said:

I always feel that Derek Ferguson is just reading things one word at a time. He doesn't seem to have the ability to alter the pitch or tone of his voice either and it's really, really grating, when he's doing the reports on the Dundee games, my heart just sinks. (Admittedly, there's usually little to get excited about for us, but still...)

Spot on. He's so wooden and monosyllabic that he ought to have someone else reading it for him. Quite possibly he's just thick as mince.

Archived