Worst sayings in Scottish Football

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I'd imagine the vast majority of people on this site have friends they've got nicknames/use second names for.

Yes, but you seldom use first names.

Pretty much in-keeping with the type of adult who has favourite players off the telly.

Yes, but you seldom use first names.
Pretty much in-keeping with the type of adult who has favourite players off the telly.

Not really though is it....

I do have favourite players off the tele, Messi, Ronaldo, Scott Brown. ;)

What's wrong with that?!!! :lol:

17 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely.

Surely as someone who likes and enjoys football, he has atleast 1 or 2 favourite players he likes that don't play in Scotland or for QotS..!

My last favourite player was Gordon McQueen I think.

Then I hit the age of seven and had outgrown the practice of having such a thing.

I'd say that makes me middle aged and boring.

My favourite telly player is Sly Stallone in Escape To Victory. His positioning is awful, and he shuts his eyes when attempting a save (bit like Jamie Langfield) but he has a "presence" and likes "to put himself about a bit" whilst "making himself big" for penalties.

Also one of the best fitba tops ever.

Could someone get us back on topic please?

2 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

My favourite telly player is Sly Stallone in Escape To Victory. His positioning is awful, and he shuts his eyes when attempting a save (bit like Jamie Langfield) but he has a "presence" and likes "to put himself about a bit" whilst "making himself big" for penalties.

Also one of the best fitba tops ever.

Could someone get us back on topic please?

Russell Osman is my favourite player in that film.

'Punching above their weight' is quite a misleading one. If a smaller club or country have been playing consistently at a level for as much as 10-15 years or even as little as 5 years in a top league or consistently one of the last clubs left in a cup competition then no they are not 'Punching above their weight' they are where they are supposed to be.

26 minutes ago, CityDave said:

'Punching above their weight' is quite a misleading one. If a smaller club or country have been playing consistently at a level for as much as 10-15 years or even as little as 5 years in a top league or consistently one of the last clubs left in a cup competition then no they are not 'Punching above their weight' they are where they are supposed to be.

This. I was going to post something similar a few weeks ago when they talking about St Johnstone 'punching above their weight' but forgot. This is the same St Johnstone who have consistently finished in the top 6, have been in Europe quite a bit and won the Scottish Cup.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This. I was going to post something similar a few weeks ago when they talking about St Johnstone 'punching above their weight' but forgot. This is the same St Johnstone who have consistently finished in the top 6, have been in Europe quite a bit and won the Scottish Cup.

It usually goes hand in hand with 'big club deserves to be in the top flight. So just as a smaller club earns year after year a higher league placing than bigger club who might have been very successful 40 years ago who has ended up relegated through their own fault. I don't understand why clubs with more/bigger supports supposedly deserve more in some peoples eyes than clubs with less supporters, it should be down to how the team plays on the pitch and the results that team gets. I think some people struggle getting their head around any kind of change.

4 minutes ago, CityDave said:

It usually goes hand in hand with 'big club deserves to be in the top flight. So just as a smaller club earns year after year a higher league placing than bigger club who might have been very successful 40 years ago who has ended up relegated through their own fault. I don't understand why clubs with more/bigger supports supposedly deserve more in some peoples eyes than clubs with less supporters, it should be down to how the team plays on the pitch and the results that team gets. I think some people struggle getting their head around any kind of change.

Fortunately it is down to that.

Our media and the shite pundits seem obsessed with the past and seem to think that it has some relevance. Note that they are selective about the periods of the past they talk about mind, as they aren't clamouring for the likes of Queens Park (the most successful club in Scotland for years) or Dumbarton (won the first ever top flight) etc.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Fortunately it is down to that.

Our media and the shite pundits seem obsessed with the past and seem to think that it has some relevance. Note that they are selective about the periods of the past they talk about mind, as they aren't clamouring for the likes of Queens Park (the most successful club in Scotland for years) or Dumbarton (won the first ever top flight) etc.

A lot of the pundits are in their 40's or 50's and tend to think back to when they were playing and who were the best teams of around that time. Its why we are still stuck with the idea that Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are and should be top clubs in the top league regardless that the last really successful era for these clubs was the 80's and early 90's 25 to 30 years ago, that's a long time ago as football seasons go and it was a completely different era.

Archived