June 8th General Election

Mudder

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

With regard tactical voting as a Labour voter I would consider voting tory if I thought it would keep out the SNP, at present constitutional matters dominate proceedings and unless the issue of a second indyref is not a factor this will continue to be the case. I don't think this should necessarily be a reason to castigate those on the No side who choose to vote tactically, most supporters of independence will vote SNP / green regardless of their policies until independence is achieved, it is therefore perfectly reasonable for those on the other side to do the same.

As for the influence of Scottish MP's at Westminster, 50+ SNP members could hold the balance of power if there was a near even number of Labour / tory MP's so it is conceivable that they could have a great deal of influence, I don't think this is what will happen as I think the torries will win easily but returning an SNP MP could still mean an influence over proceedings.

This isn't a Scottish election, or even an independence vote. Returning a SNP member might influence a vote in Westminster (but its unlikely given Labour have already ruled out working with them) however returning a Tory MP definitely will.

People have to stop voting on what they think might happen or what they think might be what a party is aiming for or its real motive and start voting on what is actually there, actually being said and what they actually believe in. Voting Tory isn't a tactic, it is a vote for the Tory party. Full stop. Its a vote for Theresa May, for Hard Brexit and for a Tory Government. If that is what you want then fine, if not, then don't vote for it.

If unionists don't want independence then fair enough, if a vote comes around then vote no. Don't put one of the worst Tory governments into Westminster just to stop a vote from ever happening.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS. What is bizarre is you thinking that anyone in the Tory party is "enthusiastic" about either of these things.

Do you actually believe this or are you just deliberately using these two things as political footballs to claim the moral high ground?

Personally I think it is the latter but you could just be daft.

You think that the Tories pursue welfare reforms reluctantly?

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

This isn't a Scottish election, or even an independence vote. Returning a SNP member might influence a vote in Westminster (but its unlikely given Labour have already ruled out working with them) however returning a Tory MP definitely will.

People have to stop voting on what they think might happen or what they think might be what a party is aiming for or its real motive and start voting on what is actually there, actually being said and what they actually believe in. Voting Tory isn't a tactic, it is a vote for the Tory party. Full stop. Its a vote for Theresa May, for Hard Brexit and for a Tory Government. If that is what you want then fine, if not, then don't vote for it.

If unionists don't want independence then fair enough, if a vote comes around then vote no. Don't put one of the worst Tory governments into Westminster just to stop a vote from ever happening.

Good post, worth a greenie :)

Regardless of how this general election goes - the SNP will still be in charge at Holyrood.
Even if the Tories won ten seats - which nobody expects to happen - the SNP would still have the most number of MPs and would still claim that they can set the agenda.

Voting Tory to stop another referendum on independence might almost make sense at the Scottish elections but certainly not the general election where Theresa May would simply see it as an endorsement of her reckless hard Brexit plan.

According to BBC website May is not willing to give commitment to retain 'triple lock' on pensions and Hammond does not want to commit to not increasing taxes, NI and VAT.

Now whatever people may think about both these policies surely it is bizarre that the Tories are going into this election with no manifesto commitments on either of these two issues.  It's a shocking state of affairs that their lead over Labour and the outdated FPTP system allows them to enter an election as clear favourites without spelling out anything on policies.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

According to BBC website May is not willing to give commitment to retain 'triple lock' on pensions and Hammond does not want to commit to not increasing taxes, NI and VAT.

Now whatever people may think about both these policies surely it is bizarre that the Tories are going into this election with no manifesto commitments on either of these two issues.  It's a shocking state of affairs that their lead over Labour and the outdated FPTP system allows them to enter an election as clear favourites without spelling out anything on policies.

To be honest I tend to think that no policy could be viewed as a policy. You leave yourself open to accusations of flip flopping, u-turns or broken promises if you make absolute policies which don't allow for the vagaries of the economy.

We could be heading into an election where neither major party have any real policies on the economy.

17 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

We could be heading into an election where neither major party have any real policies on the economy.

Tbf that's the one thing we haven't tried yet. Doing zilch.

Oh SLab.
What a disaster of a PPB.
Who are these people who don't talk to each other because of the independence referendum?

Our country is divided enough. Together we are stronger. FFS.

32 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

All my adult life I have believed that when it comes to politics cynicism is a luxury we cannot afford.  Like if you're faced with a choice of 'bad' candidates there's always one less bad than the others and that's who you should vote for.

However we are entering a post-irony period where cynicism is almost excusable.

"Hi I'm Steve/Sandra Your Conservative candidate, I believe in austerity, cutting our ties with Europe and the rape clause; but don't ask me about an economic strategy."

8 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I'm wondering why Labour aren't going all guns blazing over Hammond's remarks tbh.

Any Western reference involving Labour makes me think of Blazing Saddles rather than The Magnificent Seven.

Without debates,no questions at campaign stops and no press conferences
May is just shouting Brexit

19 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Without debates,no questions at campaign stops and no press conferences
May is just shouting Brexit

I wonder if our free, fair and impartial MSM will point this out.

That's a bit naughty of Crick.

He'll know and I certainly do, that its standard practice for PR practitioners to try to ensure that employees keep schtum and only officially sanctioned quotes are used.

Archived