Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Although Caledonian Braves is a daft name, to be fair, many Scottish League side names give no clue to their location. 

Celtic, Rangers, Hibernian, St.Mirren, Caledonian Thistle (the Inverness part is a recent addition) Morton (again, Greenock is a later addition), Queen of the South, Albion Rovers. 

Many others give general clues such as Clyde, St.Johnstone etc. 

I'm sure they'll be dancing in the streets of Edusport, this morning. 

Caley added the Inverness in 1996 - 2 years after forming.

Celtic and Hibernian names reflect their Irish origins.

Paisley Abbey is dedicated to St. Mirren, responsible for bringing christianity to that part of the country.

Morton were named after a street in Greenock that they originally played next to.

Queen of the South is a nickname for Dumfries, one that only came into being half a century before Queens formed so relatively topical to take it on.

I'll give you Rangers and Albion Rovers though, though in the latter it was the merger of two teams whose names were... and the case of Rangers, imaginative names were clearly all the range in Victorian Scotland. Rovers, Rangers, Albion...

9 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

It would make a lot of sense if Caledonian Braves/Ourfootballclub and the Edusport Academy are run as separate but linked entities.  There are a number of examples in England where "reserve teams" have obtained a pseudo independence.  The big attraction would be that Caledonian Braves can expand without having to "hold back" by accommodating the annual in-take of students. Edusport Academy can then be run solely as a football academy and the better players can progress to the Braves. Most critical of all it should be possible for both clubs to be licensed (assuming they will both play at the same ground).

NB: The prospects of the "new" Edusport Academy getting promotion from the SoSFL to the LL would appear to be remote as they would be unlikely to win a playoff against EoSFL champions. However, they would be very well placed to transfer to a WoSfL or WRJFA (Pyramid "friendly" league).

I'm not so much concerned over Edusport Academy SoS getting promoted. More it spinning off to be the original set up that Edusport had being an avenue for French students playing football and learning English.

Then being able to get licensed again as a separate entity to Caledonian Braves. From that they can get Scottish Cup entry, SFA payments and access to grants which could help subsidise Caledonian Braves just by virtue of sharing the same facilities and being able to split costs.

It’s a daft name, moving about is abit dodgy(tho if alliance park becomes permanent it’s not so bad), and some folk don’t like the whole french academy stuff(personally this doesn’t bother me if guys want to come and pay money into their system to learn/be coached that’s their choice, the only outside input should be if the off-field stuff is ok and those players play well enough to sustain their league place)

However I’m much more hesitant of a ‘edusport’ and ‘caladonia brave’ being run by the same people but separate entities. If that happens the authorities must not allow the 2nd team to be allowed licensed, treated the same as Stranraer or Stirling uni reserves(which fwiw shouldn’t be in the pyramid)

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It’s a daft name, moving about is abit dodgy(tho if alliance park becomes permanent it’s not so bad), and some folk don’t like the whole french academy stuff(personally this doesn’t bother me if guys want to come and pay money into their system to learn/be coached that’s their choice, the only outside input should be if the off-field stuff is ok and those players play well enough to sustain their league place)

However I’m much more hesitant of a ‘edusport’ and ‘caladonia brave’ being run by the same people but separate entities. If that happens the authorities must not allow the 2nd team to be allowed licensed, treated the same as Stranraer or Stirling uni reserves(which fwiw shouldn’t be in the pyramid)

Why should they not. In other countries teams ahve B sides in pyramid. Barcelona B were relegated from LA LIGA 123 2 seasons ago.

36 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Why should they not. In other countries teams ahve B sides in pyramid. Barcelona B were relegated from LA LIGA 123 2 seasons ago.

People don't want a route to 'Colts' being buttered up. That there are reserves in the current Scottish pyramid is not an issue for me, though I wouldn't want to see full-time teams going down this route.

Edited by cmontheloknow

13 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Although Caledonian Braves is a daft name, to be fair, many Scottish League side names give no clue to their location

Celtic, Rangers, Hibernian, St.Mirren, Caledonian Thistle (the Inverness part is a recent addition) Morton (again, Greenock is a later addition), Queen of the South, Albion Rovers. 

Many others give general clues such as Clyde, St.Johnstone etc. 

I'm sure they'll be dancing in the streets of Edusport, this morning. 

I think the "South" part is a bit of a clue to their location.

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

It's not a complaint about b teams. Nobody cared much about Edusport reserves going into the SoS.

It's if Edusport Academy in the SoS becomes a separate licensed club to Caledonian Braves in the Lowland League.

If the SoS team takes on the Caledonian Braves reserves tag I don't mind. 

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's not a complaint about b teams. Nobody cared much about Edusport reserves going into the SoS.

It's if Edusport Academy in the SoS becomes a separate licensed club to Caledonian Braves in the Lowland League.

If the SoS team takes on the Caledonian Braves reserves tag I don't mind. 

They are still on lowland league site as Edusport and when i looked up their website yesterday they are still edusport?

Edusport should've been renamed as The Calais-donian Braves to keep that connection to France. I'll get me coat!!!.

Fair play to them though, like most non-league clubs I'm sure there are some good hard working people behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

They are still on lowland league site as Edusport and when i looked up their website yesterday they are still edusport?

I think the league and the SFA need to ratify the name change. I guess until that happens they will still be Edusport.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

No such thing as bad publicity after all!

At least it’s got everyone talking about us. As a fellow Pollok boy you should come down to Alliance Park at the start of the season and see what it’s all about 👍🏼

1 hour ago, wullieboy78 said:

At least it’s got everyone talking about us. As a fellow Pollok boy you should come down to Alliance Park at the start of the season and see what it’s all about 👍🏼

I will definitely be along at some point. I follow the LL quite closely anyway and my unfortunate offsrpring live a wind assisted goalkick up the hill so I'm in the 'Well pretty regularly!

6 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

Its certainly working for them. Theres been more activity on here in the last 24 hours than they have had in the last 5 years.

Having a handful of people discussing you on an internet forum doesn't actually have any tangible value.