Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

Caledonian Braves is an incredibly lame name. Sounds like a rugby team from a kids cartoon. 

Honestly can't wait til the brain trust behind them just get bored and a real team gets into the league in their place

Edited by AlansHotBath

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's a dreadful name but the choices were all appalling so that outcome was inevitable!

Those choices once again...

Alliance FC
Black Falcons
Caledonian Braves FC
Copa FC
Edusport Eagles
Edusport Phoenix
FC Tribe
FC Spero
Phoenix FC or derivative (Black Phoenix, etc)
Lanarkshire Lynx
Mondial FC
Sporting Union FC

Ooft what a list ! I think I would just have stuck with Edusport. 

4 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Caledonian Braves is an incredibly lame name. Sounds like a rugby team from a kids cartoon. 

Honestly can't wait til the brain trust behind them just get bored and a real team gets into the league in their place

Back when pro-rugby began in the late 1990s the Aberdeen-Perth franchise was actually called Caledonia Reds, before SRU merged 4 down to 2.

That's why Glasgow Warriors were briefly called Glasgow Caledonian Reds (similarly Edinburgh Gunners were briefly Edinburgh Reivers).

Hopefully the badge isn't going to be some kilt-wearing, claymore-wielding clansman running down a glen, tbf.

21 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

" I will delete the link as on 2nd reading the EA poster seemed to think their forum was members only... the irony of an online community club being undone by the internet. "

A wee google might turn it up.

It is now members only. Spoilsports!

I’ve been an Edusport member for well over a year now, made the trip to Annan several times last season as well as enjoying away trips to Kelty, East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts.

We currently have over 600 members worldwide and hope that can grow in the coming season.

Moving into new ground which will be ready for pre-season friendlies in a couple of weeks time and a new mobile phone app which will be ready by the end of July. Everything going on at the club is positive and can’t understand all the negativity towards what we are trying to achieve 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, wullieboy78 said:

I’ve been an Edusport member for well over a year now, made the trip to Annan several times last season as well as enjoying away trips to Kelty, East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts.

We currently have over 600 members worldwide and hope that can grow in the coming season.

Moving into new ground which will be ready for pre-season friendlies in a couple of weeks time and a new mobile phone app which will be ready by the end of July. Everything going on at the club is positive and can’t understand all the negativity towards what we are trying to achieve 🤷🏻‍♂️

Personally I have no issue as such with EA/CB - novel idea to go about it the way you are... but the new name is (IMO) rubbish and is something you'd associate with an American sport. Football is a sport heavily tied to sense of  place, something EA/CB are trying to shrug off.  A team's name historically reflects its locale and or its founders, with exceptionally few exceptions. I suppose though Albion Rovers is not the kind of name that would be heralded with cheers were it unveiled now either though! The Caledonia / Alba thing is a shared theme I guess. A name less generic and more tied to place would (IMO) have got less criticism.

Like Wullieboy I am a member and have been down to a fair few games as well. Don’t get the negativity about the team - they are in the league on merit.
A nice new wee ground for next season and hopefully the opportunity to get local people interested and build something more.

Don't see the issue with Edu Sport or Caledonian Braves, they've done everything by the rule book and worked their way to where they are fairly.  I don't think it's a great name but the point of a pyramid is any team can enter (that meets the criteria) and find their level.  Only time will tell if CB is a good idea and what their level is.  I certainly prefer a new team trying this online idea rather than them taking over an already establish team with decades of history as we saw down south with Ebbsfleet United.