New clubs in the East of Scotland

15 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

My understanding is that the conferences will be exactly the same as last season with the new applicants forming a division at tier 8. What is still to be decided is how tiers 7,8 and 9 will be formed for the following season.

To me that just seems a bit silly as you'll have Conferences A & B playing 30 and 28 games with the new tier 8 playing 20 games in their mainly West Lothian division.

Presumably it'll be the Top 7 in each Conference going into the First Division in 2022-23, just like it was going to be this season. That leaves 28 clubs, so either: 14-14 north/south, 14 Second Division and 14 Third Division, or 16 Second and 12 Third (though it might be more with LL relegation).

If you promote one or two from tier 8 at the end of next season, you could end up with a Third Division of 12 or 14 clubs featuring Tweedmouth, Eyemouth and the remaining West Lothian clubs. IMO that scenario doesn't work for anyone in that division in terms of travel and ability.

Surely better to make it 14-14-14 playing 26 games next season, so that you can set up the most balanced linear leagues possible for 2022-23? If clubs don't want the new applicants getting up into the Premier or First Division in 2022-23, simply make it so that they if they finish in the top 5 or 6 they are placed in the Second Division. Just like the WOS are doing with their new clubs.

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

To me that just seems a bit silly as you'll have Conferences A & B playing 30 and 28 games with the new tier 8 playing 20 games in their mainly West Lothian division.

Presumably it'll be the Top 7 in each Conference going into the First Division in 2022-23, just like it was going to be this season. That leaves 28 clubs, so either: 14-14 north/south, 14 Second Division and 14 Third Division, or 16 Second and 12 Third (though it might be more with LL relegation).

If you promote one or two from tier 8 at the end of next season, you could end up with a Third Division of 12 or 14 clubs featuring Tweedmouth, Eyemouth and the remaining West Lothian clubs. IMO that scenario doesn't work for anyone in that division in terms of travel and ability.

Surely better to make it 14-14-14 playing 26 games next season, so that you can set up the most balanced linear leagues possible for 2022-23? If clubs don't want the new applicants getting up into the Premier or First Division in 2022-23, simply make it so that they if they finish in the top 5 or 6 they are placed in the Second Division. Just like the WOS are doing with their new clubs.

I hope that the clubs will act in the best interests of all clubs, including the newcomers, and bury the hatchet once and for all. Three Conferences at Tier 7 with promotion and relegations purely on merit. Look forward not backwards.

For 2022/23 I would split Tier 8 into approx North and South Divisions. There's no particular benefit to clubs at Tier 8 to have to travel to play league games at the opposite end of the area covered by the league. They may have to travel further for cup games and that could add to the interest of the cup competitions i.e. a change of scenery and opponent.

Thought I'd try it in spreadsheet form below, also showing an example of where new clubs come in and finish top 5 in their Conference but they aren't allowed to get promoted to the First Division. 

Premier Division       Conference A       Conference B       Conference C  
1 Tranent Juniors LL play-off   1 Club best 1st Promoted   1 Club  Promoted   1 Club worst 1st Play-off v 14th
2 Jeanfield Swifts     2 Club First   2 Club First   2 Armadale Second
3 Linlithgow Rose     3 Club First   3 Club First   3 Club First
4 Musselburgh Athletic     4 Club First   4 Whitburn Second   4 Club First
5 Camelon Juniors     5 Club worst 5th Second   5 Club First   5 Club best 5th First
6 Lothian Thistle HV     6 Club Second   6 Club First   6 Club First
7 Penicuik Athletic     7 Club Second   7 Club Second   7 Club Second
8 Dundonald Bluebell     8 Club Second   8 Club Second   8 Club Second
9 Newtongrange Star     9 Club Second   9 Club Second   9 Club Second
10 Broxburn Athletic     10 Club Third   10 Club best 10th Second   10 Club Third
11 Sauchie Juniors     11 Club Third   11 Club Third   11 Club Third
12 Hill of Beath Haws     12 Club Third   12 Club Third   12 Club Third
13 Tynecastle     13 Club Third   13 Club Third   13 Club Third
14 Dunbar United Play-off   14 Club Third   14 Club Third   14 Club Third
15 Crossgates Primrose Relegated                        
16 Blackburn United Relegated                        
17 Inverkeithing HS Relegated                        
18 Whitehill Welfare Relegated                        
Edited by Ginaro

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Thought I'd try it in spreadsheet form below, also showing an example of where new clubs come in and finish top 5 in their Conference but they aren't allowed to get promoted to the First Division. 

Premier Division       Conference A       Conference B       Conference C  
1 Tranent Juniors LL play-off   1 Club best 1st Promoted   1 Club  Promoted   1 Club worst 1st Play-off v 14th
2 Jeanfield Swifts     2 Club First   2 Club First   2 Armadale Second
3 Linlithgow Rose     3 Club First   3 Club First   3 Club First
4 Musselburgh Athletic     4 Club First   4 Whitburn Second   4 Club First
5 Camelon Juniors     5 Club worst 5th Second   5 Club First   5 Club best 5th First
6 Lothian Thistle HV     6 Club Second   6 Club First   6 Club First
7 Penicuik Athletic     7 Club Second   7 Club Second   7 Club Second
8 Dundonald Bluebell     8 Club Second   8 Club Second   8 Club Second
9 Newtongrange Star     9 Club Second   9 Club Second   9 Club Second
10 Broxburn Athletic     10 Club Third   10 Club best 10th Second   10 Club Third
11 Sauchie Juniors     11 Club Third   11 Club Third   11 Club Third
12 Hill of Beath Haws     12 Club Third   12 Club Third   12 Club Third
13 Tynecastle     13 Club Third   13 Club Third   13 Club Third
14 Dunbar United Play-off   14 Club Third   14 Club Third   14 Club Third
15 Crossgates Primrose Relegated                        
16 Blackburn United Relegated                        
17 Inverkeithing HS Relegated                        
18 Whitehill Welfare Relegated                        

While the EoSFL have done things differently, they've managed to keep it simple.

I don't see them going the way of having a number of clubs participating in the league unable to claim the spot they won on the field. Or have the Premier/3rd Conference Play-off that would require the results of the SPFL2 & LL Play-offs to be known before finding out what EoS Premier place would be participating.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While the EoSFL have done things differently, they've managed to keep it simple.

I don't see them going the way of having a number of clubs participating in the league unable to claim the spot they won on the field. Or have the Premier/3rd Conference Play-off that would require the results of the SPFL2 & LL Play-offs to be known before finding out what EoS Premier place would be participating.

Sure but it's a compromise scenario - of course having three Conferences and getting the best linear leagues is preferable but you also want to appease the current clubs who might feel they are being robbed of a First Division spot. It would surely only apply to a few new clubs who are capable of being top 4/5. And WOS are doing similar if they don't have a tier 8.

The play-off is because it's three Conferences not two, again a compromise to make sure each winner has a chance of going up. Don't think having to wait until the SPFL/LL is sorted is a big issue - after all the possible Conference runners-up play-off was scheduled for 1st/4th June this season.

I think it is important to remember that the WoS is dealing with clubs from Amateur and Youth levels (except for Harthill) whilst the EoS is dealing with applications from long established clubs which are coming from the same Junior League that most EoS clubs have come from. The other club is Edinburgh College which has a significantly good track record in University/College football. 

To compare the EoS applicants with the WoS applicants seems unbalanced and not appropriate to me. FWIW.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Three missed out. Harthill to go to the WOSFL.  Linlithgow and Sauchie community clubs to go back to the amateur ranks?

Linlithgow Rose CFC folded about a year ago, Sauchie CFC didn't get past board scrutiny due to ground issues I think, and Harthill have applied to the WoS.

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Three missed out. Harthill to go to the WOSFL.  Linlithgow and Sauchie community clubs to go back to the amateur ranks?

Linlithgow Rose CFC seem to be back playing amateur, they advertised for a friendly but have now deleted their twitter.