New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With St. Andrews and Jeanfield on top of everything else today that makes 36 accepted or confirmed applications. For anyone doubting they'd go past 36 I think it's pretty clear they'll take pretty much everyone that meets the requirements of the EoS.

Think for the traditional clubs in the league especially they'd rather just deal with one season of transition and get to normal. Rather than face turning clubs down or deferring them leading to further hassle down the line.

The format isn't going to be ideal and potentially not equal, but remember only a couple of seasons ago the leagues were EoS Premier = 9 and Eos 1st = 8. They'll do whatever seemingly funny format to those on the outside, so long as it accomodates its membership.

Jeanfield Swifts are a Perth club.  Would the SFA allow the EoSL to cross the current Lowland/Highland boundary ? 

Just now, Robert James said:

Jeanfield Swifts are a Perth club.  Would the SFA allow the EoSL to cross the current Lowland/Highland boundary ? 

Jeanfield Swifts are (just) south of the Tay Bridge, meaning they are in LL territory.

I'll be glad when this is seemingly over tomorrow. Linlithgow & Sauchie seem like the only talked about remaining applicants that probably need to move to keep up with the Joneses. Kennoway seems to have been silent through out as the only other Super League South of the Tay to consider. Thornton, Fauldhouse and Oakley maybe giving it a swerve if they can't get licencing in a year, there probably isn't much of a rush for them.

Taken away the possibles from the East Region as just about all of them are candidates considering the way Arniston flew under everyone's radar.

image.png.7c06f2a4f95ff6bde14e9f34bffc2388.png

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

Just now, Marten said:

Jeanfield Swifts are (just) south of the Tay Bridge, meaning they are in LL territory.

It's slightly ambiguous AFAICS.

Put factually, they're (literally 100yds) south of the Tay, and are south of HL/LL demarcation line of latitude. However they're outwith the territory over which EOSL claims dominion in constitution/mission statement: "Edinburgh, the Lothians, the Borders, Fife and Stirlingshire".

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's slightly ambiguous AFAICS.

Put factually, they're (literally 100yds) south of the Tay, and are south of HL/LL demarcation line of latitude. However they're outwith the territory over which EOSL claims dominion in constitution/mission statement: "Edinburgh, the Lothians, the Borders, Fife and Stirlingshire".

Though Tweedmouth isn’t in any of those areas either to be fair.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'll be glad when this is seemingly over tomorrow. Linlithgow & Sauchie seem like the only talked about remaining applicants that probably need to move to keep up with the Joneses. Kennoway seems to have been silent through out as the only other Super League South of the Tay to consider. Thornton, Fauldhouse and Oakley maybe giving it a swerve if they can't get licencing in a year, there probably isn't much of a rush for them.

Taken away the possibles from the East Region as just about all of them are candidates considering the way Arniston flew under everyone's radar.

image.png.7c06f2a4f95ff6bde14e9f34bffc2388.png

From your listing, if Linlithgow and Sauchie apply and all the late applicants are accepted, it makes 38 clubs. The 2x18 conference is therefore the best outcome, with a reduction in cup games to free up dates

From your listing, if Linlithgow and Sauchie apply and all the late applicants are accepted, it makes 38 clubs. The 2x18 conference is therefore the best outcome, with a reduction in cup games to free up dates

Need to do that maths again. [emoji4]

Though I agree with you, 2 larger conferences for a season with more midweek games under lights and lose the league cup, potentially, just to sort everything out in one year with all clubs earning their level.

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

38 is 2 x 19 which is awkward as you’d have blank weekends while trying to fit in 36 games. Might actually be easier to schedule a 20 team and an 18 team league though obviously not ideal from a sporting integrity point of view. 

Once you get to 39 teams 3 x 13 is almost certainly the best option. 

Surely out of all the newcomers and the current eosfl clubs there will only be a handful, potential surprises not withstanding, who will realistically win through to the LL in the next few seasons. 

Why would a club not move because they will not meet the licence criteria? There has been no mention of licencing being a requirement for tier 6 right now and that would be a longer term ambition but wouldn't be brought in straight away. Clubs will have time to bring their facilities up to scratch, and for entry level licencing it isn't really a massive task that will costs lots of money...

Of course we would all like the all singing all dancing upgrades but there are grounds, like Selkirk, who have met the criteria without breaking the bank and their ground isn't shabby in any way, in fact its much like lots of the junior grounds I have visited/played in over the years. There is work required but it doesn't have to be hampden to meet the criteria. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Need to do that maths again. emoji4.png

Though I agree with you, 2 larger conferences for a season with more midweek games under lights and lose the league cup, potentially, just to sort everything out in one year with all clubs earning their level.

Apologies for the Maths. Must be down to my university 'status' !

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Maybe some of those undeclared clubs will hang around and think they now have a chance of winning the Superleague and getting the Scottish Cup place, without getting the License. :)

It's a good point but Linlithgow already have that place and realistically could Sauchie or Kennoway win against the four Tayside clubs that are forced to stay?

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

True, if considering "the Scottish Borders unitary authority" anyway.

True.

It’s a slightly odd mission statement really with the mixture of defunct counties (Stirlingshire, though obviously also a historic SFA / cup region) but the modern Borders rather than Berwickshire, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire, Peeblesshire etc. 

It equally excludes Sauchie as a Clackmannanshire based club from the EOS region but in theory includes Kilsyth Rangers a team historically located in Stirlingshire.

3 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Surely out of all the newcomers and the current eosfl clubs there will only be a handful, potential surprises not withstanding, who will realistically win through to the LL.

Why would a club not move because they will not meet the licence criteria? There has been no mention of licencing being a requirement for tier 6 right now and that would be a longer term ambition but wouldn't be brought in straight away. Clubs will have time to bring their facilities up to scratch, and for entry level licencing it isn't really a massive task that will costs lots of money...

Of course we would all like the all singing all dancing upgrades but there are grounds, like Selkirk, who have met the criteria without breaking the bank and their ground isn't shabby in any way, in fact its much like lots of the junior grounds I have visited/played in over the years. There is work required but it doesn't have to be hampden to meet the criteria. 

Clearly not everyone is joining for licence and/or LL promotion anyway. Reading statements and local press articles some attracted by fixture list, U20 league etc.; and clearly some now don't want "left behind", tbf.

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

emoji6.pngemoji106.png

Spot on. So I must try harder..............................

Regarding my geography 'skills', Tweedmouth is over the national boundary, but so is Berwick

Also Sauchie is in Clackmannan, which is south of the Highland/Lowland boundary, but isn't specified by the EoSL as being within its area

38 is 2 x 19 which is awkward as you’d have blank weekends while trying to fit in 36 games. Might actually be easier to schedule a 20 team and an 18 team league though obviously not ideal from a sporting integrity point of view. 
Once you get to 39 teams 3 x 13 is almost certainly the best option. 
It was initially mooted as 2x13, which presented the same problem, albeit with less games to squeeze in which changes things slightly.

That said, my initial impression of the EoS is that there are very good, very clever people in charge, concentrated on the best outcome for all member clubs (big or small) and happy to consider new and out of the box ideas to make this all work for the long term, even if that means a transitional season.

I've every faith that regardless of the final number of teams there will be a solution and I can't remember the last time I found myself looking forward to a season as much as I am next.