Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have reported it. 

I’ll be shocked if he gets emptied. More likely they’ll lock the account until they remove the tweet. Twitter was always a hellsite but it’s gotten significantly worse since Elmo’s Mrs binned him and he has to try and get validation from the right wing hate factory. 

4 minutes ago, Bodie said:

The thing I'll miss most about Sturgeon is her uncanny ability to out this godforsaken island's biggest cranks, weirdos, cretins and dangers by simply existing.

Fantastic at debating 

Appalling at policy 

5 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

It's over for the SNP.

They're a talent vacuum without her.

Spot on.

The political heavyweights of Jackie Ballie and Murdo Fraser are about to swoop in any minute and show these Natz how it's done.

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lord Mackay of Clashfern the son of a railway worker in Sutherland rose to be the Lord Advocate of Scotland and one of the senior law officers in the UK, a briliant mathematic and physics mind he was a lifelong member and elder of the Free Church, he attended the catholic funerals of two colleagues which resulted in him being dismissed form the Church. 

That is the type of discipline that the Free Church maintains.

Mackay's Wiki is worth a read to fully see his achievements from a humble beginning.

James MacKay was a member of the Free Presbyterian Church.  A Different denomination that split from the Free Kirk as they couldn't abide their liberal and worldly ways.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Curious. There has been loads and loads of public comment from all sides of the political spectrum on TV, radio and  social media but I have not seen one single word from the Green Party. Nor have  the Greens been represented on any media panels. I may be wrong but I am surprised that even Green Ministers in Nicola Sturgeon's Cabinet have stayed silent about the news.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Also, I am sure that plenty of those roasters identify as working-class. There is probably a fair amount of them who don't have an awful lot, and have really been feeling the pinch lately. I just don't understand, after everything that has happened recently, how they can justify to themselves being that invested in the British state. 

Not one of those people have benefited from the union. Of course it could be argued that none of them would benefit from an independent Scotland either but that isn’t the point at the moment. People often talk about the SNP being a bit of a cult and at times that’s probably true but there’s a really bizarre cult in Scotland of people who don’t stand or want anything - they just oppose the SNP. Most probably don’t know why or could reasonably argue what their own views are but they’ve fallen down a bit of a rabbit hole where they feel a certain way for really no other reason other than they feel they have to.

Perhaps this was always the case but you’ve seen in Britain and America in the last few years, largely whipped up by social media, that there’s a lot of people out there who live really sad, empty lives. If this mob lived in Liverpool they’d probably have been rioting outside that hotel last week. If they lived in America they’d be Qanon Trump supporters. They’re people who have little and who want to feel something and feel part of something. They’re people the country they love so much have let down - and they don’t even realise it. 

48 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Curious. There has been loads and loads of public comment from all sides of the political spectrum on TV, radio and  social media but I have not seen one single word from the Green Party. Nor have  the Greens been represented on any media panels. I may be wrong but I am surprised that even Green Ministers in Nicola Sturgeon's Cabinet have stayed silent about the news.

Patrick Harvey was on the radio at lunchtime.

I am not massively bothered either way on constitutional politics so all that really sticks in the mind at this point is her cynical behavior during COVID.

We are keeping schools and workplaces open that are high risk to stop the ecoonomy from imploding so we are not actually going to be able to stop this wave in its tracks but lets kid on we are trying to by banning low risk outdoor activities like lower league fitba while letting bible bashers go to church indoors because I pure hated Arthur Montford and Scotsport when I was a bairn or whatever....

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

So if I have understood correctly, you consider that Sturgeon saw an unprecedented world wide pandemic as her opportunity to act upon a life long held grudge she held against amateur football. Yes, quite the sane interpretation of it all 🤣

They can take our freedom, but they’ll never take…

OUR AMATEUR FOOTBALL DURING A PANDEMIC!!!

mel gibson horse GIF

Edited by Highland Capital

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

45D316EC-BC7F-4432-ACF5-0C9DF93C5DF6.thumb.png.cd8a92f5fae4440100dc1da613d7a44d.png

Golf course stuff aside that is indistinguishable from something you'd read by a columnist in the Times, Guardian or New Statesman. But our politics is definitely better!

I think this captures fairly well why, despite not liking her very much politically, I am a bit deflated at the news. Maybe melodramatic but I just don't see us being allowed a leader of a major party any time soon who doesn't want roaring crackdowns on any non-besuited political representation 

I was out in the car yesterday with the radio on and what struck me most was the rambling repetitiveness of her resignation speech. I had to go look it up afterwards - 17 minutes.

The tl;dr version - self aggrandising, self congratulatory pish.  

A day on from it, can anyone actually point me to any sort of metric that confirms Scotland to be a materially better place for anyone than it was 8 years ago?