CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunate to miss last two weeks due to holiday, but they still manage to ruin my Saturday!! This has got to stop, there is no way that this mob under "direction" of Chapman and his mate will keep us up.  As ever though our bed is well and truly made, even this early any hardy soul who will still be there next year prepare for Lowland league simple as that, I have absolutly no doubt. 

Sorry, but this is my last year ...had it plain and simple!

It's obvious that the one long ball tactic that we play, particularly at home, does not work.

Goodwillie surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders with no other Clyde player within 30 yards does not work.

If Chapman didn't see that he should go.

I know it's absolutely dire at the moment, but Chapman won't be going anywhere & the state that club's in, I don't see how they'd attract anything better anyway.

Suppose all you can do is wait and see until he has a fully fit squad to choose from.  Maybe the re-emergence of Lowdon and Ferguson will help.  Likely play a season a centre half short, but maybe the other 3 will be enough to counter that at this level.  Probably needs to play 2 up front, dont have the players to play the lone striker system. Who knows....   

After nearly a decade of this garbage, if they want their support base to get enthusiastic again Clyde have everything to prove to them on various levels.  It's beyond the point of complaining about it now, apathy's overtaken that.  Ball's in their court, see if they can deliver.

Currie

Duffie Munro Mcniff Lowdon

wright cuddihy Nicol Stewart

osadolor goodwillie 

would be my preferred team. From what I've seen of Ramsay he doesn't do enough for me, but in games I haven't seen he may be better. 

Piss poor results at home to two lower end teams, along with two stupid red cards. We're going to get left behind soon if we don't start winning. 

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Currie

Duffie Munro Mcniff Lowdon

wright cuddihy Nicol Stewart

osadolor goodwillie 

Very surprised anyone thinks Nicol should be in the team. Truly awful the last few games. Isn't authoritative enough in his play, can't take a touch and doesn't talk enough on the park.

Currie

Duffie, Munro, McNiff, Stewart

Fergie, Cuddihy, Ramsay, Lowdon

Goodwillie, Osalodor for me

Loved Burbidge against Stirling and think that maybe him or Max Wright (who as a striker being played in midfield is in danger of becoming Higgins mk.II) could do a job up top with DGW to overlap.

Assuming we managed to finally have an injury/suspension free and fit team, I'd go:

Currie

Ferguson, Cuddihy, Ramsay, Lowdon

Gormley, Goodwillie

It hasn't really happened for Burbidge the past two games but there's a decent player in there somewhere. Wright too has done okay but hasn't been great. Flynn has a bit of work to do for me to get back into the team. Maybe harsh on Smarticus but I'm trying to think of Chapman's 'direct' approach here.

I feel sorry Breslin but he's not cutting it for me, at the moment.

ETA: I'd drop Nicol too, he's been rubbish recently.

Currie

Burbidge, Cuddihy, Nicholl,Lowdon

Goodwillie, Osalodor

I don't rate Nicoll. However we have no one else to play as a tackling midfielder.

We need to play two up top.
Goodwillie needs help, especially at home where teams sit in.

Not sure what eleven you put out would make that much difference for me the players simply don't look comfortable with the style of play / formation Chapman really needs a rethink on our tactics/ style it's not working
His interview after yesterday was aimed at the players as it has been after every defeat
The fans get blamed for shouting at players , the modern player doesn't like public criticism , nobody does but in particular nowadays
Three big games in particular the cup tie which is a MUST!!!! Win game look at the run we had last year and even not playing premier league opposition the finance raised by it as well as giving us some right good games to watch

Home/Against weaker teams:

Currie
Duffie    Munro    McNiff   Lowdon
Ferguson   Cuddihy   Ramsay   Wright
Goodwillie   Osadolor/Gormley

Away/Against stronger teams:

Currie
Duffie    Munro    McNiff   Stewart
Cuddihy   Nicoll
Burbidge   Ramsay   Wright
Goodwillie

Not entirely convinced by either line up above but, if the last two games have shown anything, it's that we can't play the same way all the time. It's not quite as simple as splitting it between home and away games, as we could easily go away to Edinburgh or Cowdenbeath and they both set up the way they have at Broadwood (see two 1-0 defeats away to Cowden last season, in spite of the different manager/team).

Our biggest issue tends to be when the impetus is on us to dictate the pace and style of the game, and this is far from the first Clyde team to have this issue. Away to Stirling and Elgin we were capable of reacting to how the opposition played and making use of the spaces they left but when we come up against a team who look to do the same to us, we are clueless.

Home/Against weaker teams:
Currie
Duffie    Munro    McNiff   Lowdon
Ferguson   Cuddihy   Ramsay   Wright
Goodwillie   Osadolor/Gormley
Away/Against stronger teams:
Currie
Duffie    Munro    McNiff   Stewart
Cuddihy   Nicoll
Burbidge   Ramsay   Wright
Goodwillie
Not entirely convinced by either line up above but, if the last two games have shown anything, it's that we can't play the same way all the time. It's not quite as simple as splitting it between home and away games, as we could easily go away to Edinburgh or Cowdenbeath and they both set up the way they have at Broadwood (see two 1-0 defeats away to Cowden last season, in spite of the different manager/team).
Our biggest issue tends to be when the impetus is on us to dictate the pace and style of the game, and this is far from the first Clyde team to have this issue. Away to Stirling and Elgin we were capable of reacting to how the opposition played and making use of the spaces they left but when we come up against a team who look to do the same to us, we are clueless.

Weaker teams ?

Physically, that's not true. Duffie, Burbidge, Ferguson, Stewart, Wilson, Lowden, all fast. They just can't beat men so their pace is useless. Mentally, I totally agree.

I'm no technical genius but surely it would be advantageous if once in a while the ball was played in front of the forward moving player as opposed to the player having to check back for the usual misplaced pass. Nicholl is particularly bad for this.

Also a bit more speed in moving the ball which hopefully leads to more one on ones on the wing.
For example, when passing the ball across the back four, miss out a player once in a while. We give too much time for the opponents to regain their positional structure.

It would also be a pleasant change if a midfielder would turn and face the opposition when in possession rather than take the easy option of playing it backwards to a defender (to be hoofed upfield).

Finally, Chapman obviously thinks McNiff is a Ronald Koeman and can spray 40 yard passes. He's not even a John Sweeney in that regard.

I'm no technical genius but surely it would be advantageous if once in a while the ball was played in front of the forward moving player as opposed to the player having to check back for the usual misplaced pass. Nicholl is particularly bad for this..

I have been saying this week on week this season. It is such a basic thing that kids are taught. Play the ball where they are moving to, not where they are.

Interesting that everyone has basically picked two up front. Mostly the same goalkeeper and back four (which looks like a reasonable League 2 back line). Cuddihy the only midfielder consistently picked. Goodwillie obviously.

Currie

Duffie Munro McNiff Stewart

Ramsay Cuddihy Flynn

Gormley Goodwillie

I don't really know about the eleventh man. Could depend on the match, or form. I don't mind a diamond, maybe with Wright in there behind the front two. Ferguson if he gets himself fit enough to play 90 minutes and shows the directness he did yesterday. Possibly Lowdon if he gets match sharp. We must really be able to sign another midfielder; we've got whatever wages Miller was getting, and the 200 club/Easton money surely can't have all been used up on Munro and the two young loanees (all of which have been totally pointless signings, Bradley included).

What is absolutely certain in my eyes is that we'd be much better without Breslin or Nicoll in the team; they've both been at fault for far too many goals this season. We score enough goals that if we eliminate their rashness then we'll start to pick up results. 

Archived