Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png lot of pish! "Time for change"? The playoffs are the best thing that have happened to the leagues in recent years. Alloa and Arbroath have a chance to get themselves up and up until last weekend there was still plenty to play for from 5th in the league in our league and Dumbarton were still mathematically able to get to safety.

We were relegated through the playoffs and our record when trying to get up hasn't been good in them either but I wouldn't change anything.

Sour grapes from another Scottish football dinosaur.

What utter and complete drivel, I mean great for Arbroath and Alloa but surely if it was 2 up and 2 down they would also have the chance to "get themselves up", just that they would need to show consistency over 36 games rather than 4 !!!

Going by your nonsense above, we shouldn't even bother with a league situation at all, we could just play friendlies each week and then make it the last match counts for each team and whoever scores the most goals in a randomly drawn match gets promoted, there's excitement for you. Cretin !!

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Hope Alloa park the bus for a nice, boring 0-0 draw so then Raith can still say they'd be unbeatan at home this season.

Then for us to pump Albion Rovers 4-1 and let the seething begin.

Oh how nice it is to dream (it won't happen)

By the way, that scenario wouldn't surprise me so Ayr fans preparing for the playoffs and/or Rovers fans preparing for a party need to rein it the f**k in big style (we've already seen what happens when fans celebrate the league being in the bag a bit to early and how things can change). It is well within our capabilities to mess things up at this stage and it would be very Raith Rovers of us in all honesty. Naturally I'm really hoping the twists and turns are over with but you never know.

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

On the subject of "play offs" a quick look at our league table and also the Championship league table quickly tells us that the "play offs" are a ludicrous idea in a 10 team league setup.

Irrespective of how it turns out on Saturday with ourselves and Raith, basically the 2nd placed team will be 14 points clear of their nearest rival, likewise in the league above, Dumbarton will be 14 points adrift of 3rd bottom safety, which any sensible person will tell you should mean a 2 up 2 down situation is the perfect solution as far as level competition is concerned.

It may provide some sort of "entertainment" but in reality playing a whole season for 2nd place is in fact a pointless exercise when sneaking into 4th place gets you the same reward.

Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation as even if we end up winning the league on Saturday it will be Raith who are in this situation when quite clearly they've been streets ahead of the other teams all season.

Time for change.

"Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation" - :lol::lol::lol:

That's exactly what you are doing.  Where you so bothered about the playoffs that you've banged that drum all season? Nope. Utterly transparent.

The playoffs have been one of the success stories of the leagues in the last 20 years.  Pretty much everyone agrees with this....apart from a few saline strewn faces in the Ayr support....

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What utter and complete drivel, I mean great for Arbroath and Alloa but surely if it was 2 up and 2 down they would also have the chance to "get themselves up", just that they would need to show consistency over 36 games rather than 4 !!!

Going by your nonsense above, we shouldn't even bother with a league situation at all, we could just play friendlies each week and then make it the last match counts for each team and whoever scores the most goals in a randomly drawn match gets promoted, there's excitement for you. Cretin !!

Oooft, another belter. You've really lost the plot mate. Time for a lie down.

11 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

"Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation" - :lol::lol::lol:

That's exactly what you are doing.  Where you so bothered about the playoffs that you've banged that drum all season? Nope. Utterly transparent.

The playoffs have been one of the success stories of the leagues in the last 20 years.  Pretty much everyone agrees with this....apart from a few saline strewn faces in the Ayr support....

Yeah, it's kinda like when you're about to insult someone and before it you say "with  all due respect..."

12 minutes ago, Raithie said:

By the way, that scenario wouldn't surprise me so Ayr fans preparing for the playoffs and/or Rovers fans preparing for a party need to rein it the f**k in big style (we've already seen what happens when fans celebrate the league being in the bag a bit to early and how things can change). It is well within our capabilities to mess things up at this stage and it would be very Raith Rovers of us in all honesty. Naturally I'm really hoping the twists and turns are over with but you never know.

As enjoyable and funny as yesterday was, everyone I know of a Rovers persuasion is now shitting it about blowing it on Saturday.  Some Ayr fans have seemed in a rush to both claim the title and now say it’s over. Nothing is decided until after Saturday’s games are over.  Last days rarely go according to plan

50 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

On the subject of "play offs" a quick look at our league table and also the Championship league table quickly tells us that the "play offs" are a ludicrous idea in a 10 team league setup.

Irrespective of how it turns out on Saturday with ourselves and Raith, basically the 2nd placed team will be 14 points clear of their nearest rival, likewise in the league above, Dumbarton will be 14 points adrift of 3rd bottom safety, which any sensible person will tell you should mean a 2 up 2 down situation is the perfect solution as far as level competition is concerned.

It may provide some sort of "entertainment" but in reality playing a whole season for 2nd place is in fact a pointless exercise when sneaking into 4th place gets you the same reward.

Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation as even if we end up winning the league on Saturday it will be Raith who are in this situation when quite clearly they've been streets ahead of the other teams all season.

Time for change.

:lol:

The play offs are essential to avoiding a lot of dead rubbers near the end of the season. And I say that as a fan of a team who have performed woefully in them. They are one of the few things Scottish football have got right over the last couple of decades. 

The only change I’d make is making the final a one off at a neutral venue. The two legged final is a crap format

There's 14 points between 3rd and 2nd, 9 between 5th and 4th. The fact that there was still plenty to play for in the top 5 teams with 2 or 3 games to go is fantastic value. Even with 6 or 7 games to go, the league was wide open from 3rd down to 8th.

All you have to do is look how it worked out for Brechin last season. Snuck into 4th and made it to the Championship. If we did it your way (boring old fashioned, out of touch) then for the last 4 or 5 weeks every game would have been a glorified friendly considering the top 2 would have been decided and the mid table teams would have nothing to play for. Why not just have Raith and Ayr in their own league and forget about the other meaningless diddy teams in the league?

When your tears dry and and the red mist clears, you'll see what I mean [emoji6][emoji6]

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

we shouldn't even bother with a league situation at all, we could just play friendlies each week and then make it the last match counts for each team and whoever scores the most goals in a randomly drawn match gets promoted, there's excitement for you. Cretin !!

Image result for mixu what's the point

32 minutes ago, Estragon said:

What an outstanding bottle job.  Well done everyone :lol:

Aye, as a very happy Saints fan I do remember both Raith and Ayr bottled it last season also, the gulf between League 1 and Championship is massive , so it will just be for a season. The Championship next year again will be totally cut throat.................. Anyway I would take Raith any day, as Ayr's sh!thole is only surpassed by Crappielow...... McColl is a Fud

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Someone on the SRE page was genuinely peddling conspiracy theories about Alloa and Stranraer colluding with Raith to deny us the title.

I'd say playing shite and losing football matches denied us the title, but there you go.

"SUPPORT THE TEAM FFS...."

I  expect that  meme to go into overdrive next season if we don't go up & McCall stays.

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

the gulf between League 1 and Championship is massive

I don't buy that. Livvy have gone on to do very well with the guts of the same squad.

Morton also went up and stayed up.  Dumbarton and Alloa have also done the same in the not too distant past.

Only really Brechin have been utterly shambolic.

8 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

"SUPPORT THE TEAM FFS...."

I  expect that  meme to go into overdrive next season if we don't go up & McCall stays.

Clearly to some people supporting a team means you cannot criticize them  for playing shite.

Football players are grown men and not children. They aren't going to cry because their performance yesterday was (deservedly) slated. Some people appear to struggle to differentiate between telling football players they played shite and telling children their drawings of stick figures are fucking awful.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Clearly to some people supporting a team means you cannot criticize them  for playing shite.

Football players are grown men and not children. They aren't going to cry because their performance yesterday was (deservedly) slated. Thetes

Moff might shed a tear, his interview on Alba before the game he mentioned it'd be heartbreaking to blow it with two games left.

8 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Moff might shed a tear, his interview on Alba before the game he mentioned it'd be heartbreaking to blow it with two games left.

Moffat was the only player to get pass marks in that first half. He was trying to make something happen but unfortunately can't do it all himself.

Archived