Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

The game is tomorrow and thought there might genuinely be even a small dose of “We could still actually win this league tomorrow” creeping in. There’s not though, I just can’t convince myself at all of that. Probably for the best. It feels the same as the last home game of last season did; inevitability I guess.  

Plus on the bright side, got another fucking 5 hour round trip to look forward to at Gayfield on Wednesday night so what’s not to be excited about, eh?   :whistle

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's his job to make the board find extra funds, I can't be arsed with his Lachlan's a great guy and the chairman puts enough in blah blah blah, I don't mind if him and Lachlan are utter c***s as long as we reach our targets on the pitch.
As for Moore, you shouldn't be going a fortnight without a striker, some teams are straight out for an emergency loan if an important position isn't covered for a game.

If he was paying Harkins what he was rumoured to be paying him then there’s no surprise that the board refused to give him extra funds. It’s not uncommon for a manager to be told he can’t spend anymore money on signings.

As for the emergency loans that’s pretty much going down the same route as Nisbet and Thomas where 9/10 the player on loan will be an 18 or 19 year old that’s never going to be good enough to make an impact.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

We all hope we're proved wrong - but I have no idea where you're summoning your optimism from.

Your glass is half full as f**k.

Raith are shite and haven't fucked up in a couple weeks

The game is tomorrow and thought there might genuinely be even a small dose of “We could still actually win this league tomorrow” creeping in. There’s not though, I just can’t convince myself at all of that. Probably for the best. It feels the same as the last home game of last season did; inevitability I guess.  
Plus on the bright side, got another fucking 5 hour round trip to look forward to at Gayfield on Wednesday night so what’s not to be excited about, eh?   :whistle

Now you know why there were 90 Rovers fans at Stranraer. This was our mindset last Friday.

I'd have been much more hopeful if Raith had been playing some mid-table rabble like Stranraer or Airdrie. The fact that Raith are playing Alloa, who have a Playoff to prepare for and will have no interest in knocking their pan in at Stark's just kills any remaining hope for me. To be honest, I'd just rather get on with the Playoffs now. Not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Well no, winning and drawing is two outcomes.

You will be fine though.

Personally i think raith are scared shitless. and why not ..a lot at stake ,we are due a win at raith...and home record is there to be broken ! :-)

10 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Personally i think raith are scared shitless. and why not ..a lot at stake ,we are due a win at raith...and home record is there to be broken ! :-)

I'm the opposite.

Raith went out last week and got a tremendous result at a tough place to go, against a team who'd beat their title rivals the previous week. That heaped the pressure onto Ayr and they completely shat the nest. McCall's little laugh after the first question in his post match interview was telling that he knew that he was heading up a team of utter shitebags. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Now you know why there were 90 Rovers fans at Stranraer. This was our mindset last Friday.

Aye, fair enough. I’ve a bit more understanding now of that feeling I guess. It’s something you underestimate until it happens. 

Looking forward to tomorrow?

43 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I'd have been much more hopeful if Raith had been playing some mid-table rabble like Stranraer or Airdrie. The fact that Raith are playing Alloa, who have a Playoff to prepare for and will have no interest in knocking their pan in at Stark's just kills any remaining hope for me. To be honest, I'd just rather get on with the Playoffs now. Not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

Surely Alloa will be looking to take a bit of form into the playoffs. It's not like a cup final where players don't want to get injured in case they miss out. You would also imagine any players brought in would be trying to play their way into the team! 

Having said all that we are still looking at a very long shot at the title now.

48 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Sums my feelings up perfectly. Alloa will be resting players with freshness, injuries and suspensions all in mind for Wednesday; and rightly so. 

It’s like you know it’s gone but even after the hellish pain of going over the season in your mind all week, depressed as f**k, wondering how the hell it happened.... you still have to go through yet another game. Just want it all over with now, can’t wait til Monday and it’s done then it’s trying to assemble any kind of optimism for the play offs. 

Just now, paulbrucerick said:

Surely Alloa will be looking to take a bit of form into the playoffs. It's not like a cup final where players don't want to get injured in case they miss out. You would also imagine any players brought in would be trying to play their way into the team! 

Having said all that we are still looking at a very long shot at the title now.

Its no more a long shot than we faced last week.

We will likely not have the luxury of being able to drop any points, this is still a really close race  and far from over.

If we had a 3 point lead I would be buzzing for this game but as it stands its so finely balanced.

47 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

I'm the opposite.

Raith went out last week and got a tremendous result at a tough place to go, against a team who'd beat their title rivals the previous week. That heaped the pressure onto Ayr and they completely shat the nest. McCall's little laugh after the first question in his post match interview was telling that he knew that he was heading up a team of utter shitebags. 

Nah, it was the Stranraer result and performance that heaped the pressure on.

If they didn't rest players against us I don't see why they would rest players against Raith. They were in the same play off position last Sunday yet gave their all and put in a thoroughly professional performance, I really see no reason why they wouldn't do the same against Raith.

The bottom line is that we need to concentrate on beating Albion Rovers, Alloa are a pretty good side at this level and it really would be no surprise to see them take something from Raith, given that all the pressure is on Raith. Don't forget that Raith need to assume that we will beat Albion in which case they MUST win against Alloa, which of course brings it's own pressures through fear of failure coupled with anxiety eminating from the stands.

(I've nearly convinced myself with that drivel)..............

Archived