Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Its no more a long shot than we faced last week.

We will likely not have the luxury of being able to drop any points, this is still a really close race  and far from over.

If we had a 3 point lead I would be buzzing for this game but as it stands its so finely balanced.

It's less of a long shot.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its no more a long shot than we faced last week.
We will likely not have the luxury of being able to drop any points, this is still a really close race  and far from over.
If we had a 3 point lead I would be buzzing for this game but as it stands its so finely balanced.

Whilst I don’t expect anything other than a Raith victory, I can see why they’re nervous. It is in their hands, and a win is the probable outcome, but considering we’re at home to a team bottom of the league they have to go on the assumption they must win, and that’s huge pressure regardless of their home record.

My hope is that they feel the pressure, get too fired up and ‘do an ayr’ by shitting all over the shop.

It’s the hope that fucks you.

Aye, fair enough. I’ve a bit more understanding now of that feeling I guess. It’s something you underestimate until it happens. 
Looking forward to tomorrow?

I am as it goes. This is a free shot at winning the league. I had resigned myself to the play-offs.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Nah, it was the Stranraer result and performance that heaped the pressure on.

I get where you're coming from but that result is easily confined to the "down to ten men for most of the game, could have took something" bin.

The fact is, Raith went out the next week - pressure free as all you needed was a draw - and pumped Stranraer on their own patch, lumping the pressure onto you to get at least a draw. You could see it in the way they passed, the way the manager spoke, the nervousness on the terrraces - you shat it collectively. It was epic viewing.

40 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

I get where you're coming from but that result is easily confined to the "down to ten men for most of the game, could have took something" bin.

The fact is, Raith went out the next week - pressure free as all you needed was a draw - and pumped Stranraer on their own patch, lumping the pressure onto you to get at least a draw. You could see it in the way they passed, the way the manager spoke, the nervousness on the terrraces - you shat it collectively. It was epic viewing.

That's not how I saw it, I watched a side not breaking a leg to win the match with 10 men, the old "it's all one, we'll get a result next week" mentality, that's when I thought we'd blew it.

Raith were only in the equation because Ayr allowed them to be, I had hardly crossed the main road at Alloa and I received a text stating "u called it Anthony", a bit passive aggressive using my Sunday name but unfortunately accurate.

I've not fancied us in the playoffs for most of the season due to mentality so the last thing I wanted to watch was them settling for draws, I'm not even convinced they shat it at Alloa, probably just thought a draw at worst and we'll be fine, unfortunately the manager has allowed them to play well within themselves in an attacking sense for the vast majority of the season, unfortunately when you need the clinicalness the most is when it usually isn't there.

The wee burst of urgency after half time just heightened my frustration as they should have been playing like that for large chunks of every game, hey ho.

I've loved partying after every promotion but I'll be at my work straight after this match regardless.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'm dying of the flu so won't be going tomorrow. I fully expect us to be in the playoffs come quarter-to-five tomorrow afternoon.

If we win the league I will walk down the high street in my pants.

Just another Saturday night in Ayr.

Can't really say anything that hasn't been covered already. Long shot for us to clinch the title but not impossible for Alloa to take something off Raith so trying to be optimistic for tomorrow.

I'll be there regardless anyway. How good would the scenes be if it somehow played out for us

That's not how I saw it, I watched a side not breaking a leg to win the match with 10 men, the old "it's all one, we'll get a result next week" mentality, that's when I thought we'd blew it.
Raith were only in the equation because Ayr allowed them to be, I had hardly crossed the main road at Alloa and I received a text stating "u called it Anthony", a bit passive aggressive using my Sunday name but unfortunately accurate.
I've not fancied us in the playoffs for most of the season due to mentality so the last thing I wanted to watch was them settling for draws, I'm not even convinced they shat it at Alloa, probably just thought a draw at worst and we'll be fine, unfortunately the manager has allowed them to play well within themselves in an attacking sense for the vast majority of the season, unfortunately when you need the clinicalness the most is when it usually isn't there.
The wee burst of urgency after half time just heightened my frustration as they should have been playing like that for large chunks of every game, hey ho.
I've loved partying after every promotion but I'll be at my work straight after this match regardless.
Why would they be breaking their leg to win the stranraer game? We were down a man and needed 4 points from 3 games.

Throwing men forward would make defeat more likely. I thought we played exactly the right game that day, and if Moore had taken his big chance, maybe we would've won (or at worst drawn).

Craig Moore has hit a really sticky patch at exactly the worst time, and the defensive injuries, the Shankland suspension, it's all been a bit of a perfects storm.

Why would they be breaking their leg to win the stranraer game? We were down a man and needed 4 points from 3 games.

Throwing men forward would make defeat more likely. I thought we played exactly the right game that day, and if Moore had taken his big chance, maybe we would've won (or at worst drawn).

Craig Moore has hit a really sticky patch at exactly the worst time, and the defensive injuries, the Shankland suspension, it's all been a bit of a perfects storm.

To be fair, Moore’s goal on Sunday was a cracking run and finish.

Agree with the rest. Stranraer barely had a shot in the second half - don’t really see why else can be expected. Especially as they were one of the on form sides in the league at the time.

6 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Sadly you are 100% spot on.  If Shankland stays on v Stranraer i'm almost certain we win the game, and 100% certain we don't lose.   These things happen.

However - the 2nd half improvement and almost comeback at Alloa shows that his suspension wasnt to blame the next week as we attacked pretty much non stop and prob should have taken at least a  point.  First half, after Raith had a superb away win and put the pressure on us, we completely shat it.   

Glorious viewing for Airdrie and many other teams fans but will haunt me a fair few years unless something ridiculous happens tomorrow!

Hate to throw any individual players under the bus but Craig Moore has cost us, end of.

Even if you’re going to confine things to one game this is nonsense.

Moore still scored, Geggan sold two goals. Blaming one player is utterly ludicrous however.

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Hate to throw any individual players under the bus but Craig Moore has cost us, end of.

Haha FFS.  I'm 99% certain that's a wind up but i'm biting anyway.  I better shut the internet off til tomorrow!  Moore missed a penalty that cost us points. As did Shankland earlier in the season v Airdrie. Moff did too, but was luckily against Raith so the points were well in the bag anyway. 

A further edit - we are humped if playoffs go to pens eh? Moore missed 2, Shanks 1, Moff 1 from open play off the top of my head, and I wasnt at the Montrose penalty defeat but we obviously missed a couple there too.  

Archived