St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
St Johnstone fans getting their excuses in early here. Hope they don't embarrass Scottish football again.

Don't care if we do. It's all about the cheap alcohol and party abroad. [emoji6]

but using it as an excuse for players not preforming when hamilton and killie have plastic pitches does nae wash

By comparison, it's a lot harder to play on a mud bath than a bowling green. The same extremes can be said of a plastic pitch yah havering fud. So just because the ones Killie and Hamilton have are ok (Hamiltons is shocking btw) for all we know the one out there will be even worse.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

By comparison, it's a lot harder to play on a mud bath than a bowling green. The same extremes can be said of a plastic pitch yah havering fud. So just because the ones Killie and Hamilton have are ok (Hamiltons is shocking btw) for all we know the one out there will be even worse.

st johnstone won at Hamilton last year

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

i'm saying st johnstone will get through this tie yet all the st johnstone fans are saying it will be tough i have more confidence in our team than you lot do

f**k.Off.

but using it as an excuse for players not preforming when hamilton and killie have plastic pitches does nae wash

Hamilton and Kilmarnock have a higher grade of plastic pitch. Our astroturf pitch has a higher grade. The different weather there affects the surface differently. We'll have one training session on the pitch before the game.

It will make a difference

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

i'm saying st johnstone will get through this tie yet all the st johnstone fans are saying it will be tough i have more confidence in our team than you lot do

But you're not basing it on any logic.  Just a dated opinion on the standard of a team and league that none of us really know anything about.

We all really hope we go through as well, but that doesn't amount to a great deal of significance when the match kicks off.

For reference, here is our list of European results from the previous 4 seasons of European action:

Eskis (turkey)  1-1, 0-2.                   1-3 agg

Rosenborg (Norway) 1-1, 1-0.         2-1 agg 

Dinamo Minsk (Belarus) 0-1, 1-0.    1-1 agg.  lost on pens

lucerne (Switzerland) 1-1, 1-1.         2-2 agg.  Won on pens

spartak trnava (Slovakia) 1-2, 1-1.   2-3 agg

Alaskert (Armenia) 2-1, 0-1.             2-2 agg.  Lost on away goals 

(That's off the top of my head, so there's probably a couple of errors in there)

And to be fair, that's probably better than most Scottish teams other than Celtic and Aberdeen.

But let's be honest, where are you getting it that we are guaranteed to beat this Lithuanian side? We're a team with amongst the lowest 4 budgets in the league and we massively over-achieve in even qualifying for Europe. 

This billy big time attitude that we should be able to beat a team we don't know is simply trying to set us up for a fall if we get knocked out. If you look at the non-celtic Scottish club results in Europe over the past 10 years, I'd imagine the stats would point towards a Lithuanian victory.

Spoiler

On away goals

Spoiler

thanks to a dodgy last minute decision

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hamilton and Kilmarnock have a higher grade of plastic pitch. Our astroturf pitch has a higher grade. The different weather there affects the surface differently. We'll have one training session on the pitch before the game.

It will make a difference

fk trakai where formed in 2005 but can't find any info on what level of plastic pitch they have only found a story about Steven maclean will not travel because he does  not play on plastic pitches because of his knee condition

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

But you're not basing it on any logic.  Just a dated opinion on the standard of a team and league that none of us really know anything about.

We all really hope we go through as well, but that doesn't amount to a great deal of significance when the match kicks off.

For reference, here is our list of European results from the previous 4 seasons of European action:

Eskis (turkey)  1-1, 0-2.                   1-3 agg

Rosenborg (Norway) 1-1, 1-0.         2-1 agg 

Dinamo Minsk (Belarus) 0-1, 1-0.    1-1 agg.  lost on pens

lucerne (Switzerland) 1-1, 1-1.         2-2 agg.  Won on pens

spartak trnava (Slovakia) 1-2, 1-1.   2-3 agg

Alaskert (Armenia) 2-1, 0-1.             2-2 agg.  Lost on away goals 

(That's off the top of my head, so there's probably a couple of errors in there)

And to be fair, that's probably better than most Scottish teams other than Celtic and Aberdeen.

But let's be honest, where are you getting it that we are guaranteed to beat this Lithuanian side? We're a team with amongst the lowest 4 budgets in the league and we massively over-achieve in even qualifying for Europe. 

This billy big time attitude that we should be able to beat a team we don't know is simply trying to set us up for a fall if we get knocked out. If you look at the non-celtic Scottish club results in Europe over the past 10 years, I'd imagine the stats would point towards a Lithuanian victory.

Reveal hidden contents

On away goals

Reveal hidden contents

thanks to a dodgy last minute decision

Look i know that the co-efficient system isn't the best guide but the countries that you have listed above are all higher than Lithuanian league
Turkey 10th
Norway 28th
Belarus 21st
Switzerland 13th
slovakia 31st
Armenia 44th
st johnstone played a team from wales on Saturday and beat them 2-0 wales are sitting 48th two places above Lithuania 
setting you up for a fall there is no were to fall too.

Archived