Dundee United VS Hamilton | Hamilton VS Dundee United

I realise this thread is now for pointing and laughing at Dundee United so I don't want to go too far off-topic, but that second leg had an example of one of my pet hates in football. Referees who can't count and therefore don't add on time for stoppages in stoppage time.

They indicated a minimum of three minutes of stoppage time. Almost bang on the time going to 90:00, the ball went out of play for the throw-in where Longridge grabbed the ball, Dixon tried to kick him and the rammy broke out. Due to the handbags which followed, play didn't resume until 91:10. If there was supposed to be a minimum of three minutes added on, then the game should have continued until at least 94:10, and that's before taking into account any further stoppages. Yet Thomson blew the final whistle at about 93:30.

Obviously it's unimportant in this case because Dundee United were never scoring, but is it unreasonable to expect referees to keep track of the time?

Think I read this is a new record for Accies staying in the top division -fantastic achievement 

There's a great fighting spirit about this club and in terms of how they are run and promoting youth from within very much a model club.

Congratulations to the Accies

I realise this thread is now for pointing and laughing at Dundee United so I don't want to go too far off-topic, but that second leg had an example of one of my pet hates in football. Referees who can't count and therefore don't add on time for stoppages in stoppage time.
They indicated a minimum of three minutes of stoppage time. Almost bang on the time going to 90:00, the ball went out of play for the throw-in where Longridge grabbed the ball, Dixon tried to kick him and the rammy broke out. Due to the handbags which followed, play didn't resume until 91:10. If there was supposed to be a minimum of three minutes added on, then the game should have continued until at least 94:10, and that's before taking into account any further stoppages. Yet Thomson blew the final whistle at about 93:30.
Obviously it's unimportant in this case because Dundee United were never scoring, but is it unreasonable to expect referees to keep track of the time?

Been annoying me for years, our refs are shown up by their counterparts down south in this regard. I'm not sure if it's in the Laws of the Game but not adding time on for goal celebrations is another one. Sometimes a full minute is lost.
When ties go to extra time there is often a minute added to the 15, so how can nothing be added to 45, especially when there's been at least one goal?

Guest DAVIDB69
Think I read this is a new record for Accies staying in the top division -fantastic achievement 
There's a great fighting spirit about this club and in terms of how they are run and promoting youth from within very much a model club.

They will be back around the bottom next year , so I assume they will celebrate every year. I am not going to bleat about how the league needs the bigger teams in it, we heard enough of that during the rangers demotion era.

It's no good just turning out for the bigger games , we need to be trying to get around 8000 at home games due to the bad finances at every game

First time in living memory that we'll be in the top flight for four years in a row. I'll be honest: out of the 5 top flight survivals I've seen, that's the best. Folk were all licking their lips and thinking they were finally getting rid of us. The whole "bring nothing to the league brigade" were out in force more than ever, we won some absolute shitfests and our crowds have got lower. It also helps that we beat a team who were traditionally one of Scotland's biggest to do it, who have crowds than massively eclipse our own.
Fantastic.

I see the old line about the play-offs being "designed" to keep the Premiership team up is being trotted out in the media.

While it's true that United played two more games than Hamilton, that's only because they upset the odds and made it through from the quarter-finals. Had the play-offs gone with league placing, then Falkirk would have been in the final having played 38 games prior...the same number as Hamilton. And with the same finishing schedule of 3 games in a week.

If you're going to say the system was "designed" to do anything, it's to increase the chances of 2nd place being promoted, and 3rd and 4th place staying down.

Edited by The Master

Just now, The Master said:

I see the old line about the play-offs being "designed" to keep the Premiership team up.

While it's true that United played two more games than Hamilton, that's only because they upset the odds and made it through from the quarter-finals. Had the play-offs gone with league placing, then Falkirk would have been in the final having played 38 games prior...the same number as Hamilton. And with the same finishing schedule of 3 games in a week.

If you're going to say the system was "designed" to do anything, it's to increase the chances of 2nd place being promoted, and 3rd and 4th place staying down.

They said on the radio that united had only played one more game than accies

Just now, third lanark said:

They said on the radio that united had only played one more game than accies

Well that's impossible because it would mean one had played an odd number of games.

Hamilton played 38 games over the regular season; United played 36 + 4 play-off legs = 40.

I'm sure it was Howard Webb that came out and admitted once he'd added his time on, he didn't add anymore on regardless of what went on. Bizarre.

I see the old line about the play-offs being "designed" to keep the Premiership team up is being trotted out in the media.

I don't think it is the volume of games that are the issue it is the high intensity of games in a short period of time. Having been involved in 3 of the 4 seasons play offs I can tell you it exhausts you as a supporter so I can't imagine what it does to players.

For me they should be relegating two and 3 v 4 should play home and away to face 2nd in a one off final.

The idea that absolute dross like 'The Edge', Mikkelsen and Simon Murray would have been effective players if only they didn't have to play six play-off games is laughable. They failed to win promotion because their players simply weren't good enough and were equally gubbins for most of the season.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm the exact same. It has me seething at the end of games.