Forfar Athletic 2017-18

2 hours ago, victormeldrew said:

Jeezo, you really are a ray of sunshine.

Have you got the Samaritans  number?

He used to, but they stopped answering his calls, so he opened a P&B account instead.

Mini Loons drew 2-2 with Cowdenbeath tonight, fair result.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately due to the changes next year a lot of the younger u20s lads can go to the other Angus clubs as part of the reserve leagues. IMO this is a step back as how many 18-20 year olds will get a chance moving forward?

Don't disagree with the sentiment but how likely are the other clubs to even run reserve sides?

Forfar will probably still run the reserve team as a youth team with maybe those coming back from injury joining in. They won't want to throw all the subs from the first 11 into each reserve game as there would then be a shortage of players at training.

If other clubs couldn't afford youth teams previously, has anything changed? They'd still have additional overheads of running a second team.

I think Forfar will continue to develop local youth.

ETA

But bear in mind I've never had a successful prediction in football since 1986.

3 hours ago, subber said:

Michael Travis has signed a new two-year deal with the Loons

:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2

One of the hardest things to do at this level - keep the core of a team without mass changes at the end of every season.

Would be nice to keep Darren Whyte as well. I thinks he's been solid at left back these past few games. 

2 minutes ago, Kwaka Mal said:

:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2

One of the hardest things to do at this level - keep the core of a team without mass changes at the end of every season.

Would be nice to keep Darren Whyte as well. I thinks he's been solid at left back these past few games. 

Whyte has been absolutely solid at left back. 

1 minute ago, dee_62 said:

May be in a minority here but I prefer him at centre half. The more games he got there, the better he looked.

Not disputing that at all.  However Muzzy is better in midfield and Bain better at right back.  Whyte at CH meant both were played out of position way too often.

Not disputing that at all.  However Muzzy is better in midfield and Bain better at right back.  Whyte at CH meant both were played out of position way too often.

Totally agree about neither Muzza nor Bain being the LB solution. But as far as Whyte goes, I'd have him ahead of Munro at CB. Not that he wasn't ok at LB but he's a better CB. (And he's a better RB than LB, but not as good a RB as Bain) if that makes any sense at all...

2 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Totally agree about neither Muzza nor Bain being the LB solution. But as far as Whyte goes, I'd have him ahead of Munro at CB. Not that he wasn't ok at LB but he's a better CB. (And he's a better RB than LB, but not as good a RB as Bain) if that makes any sense at all...

Whyte is pretty good with the ball at his feet too.  He's wrong footed many an attacker when bringing the ball out of defence, I can't remember him being caught with the ball at all to be honest.  Laddie with a bigger future than Station Park I think.

Whyte is pretty good with the ball at his feet too.  He's wrong footed many an attacker when bringing the ball out of defence, I can't remember him being caught with the ball at all to be honest.  Laddie with a bigger future than Station Park I think.

Agree. St Mirren getting promoted means he could be loaned out to a championship team next season. (Not convinced he's ready to play in the premiership) Not sure how long he's got left on his Buddies contract.

9 of the present squad staying at least for next season.
McCallum, Bain, Travis, Munro, Mackintosh, Millar, Hilson, Aitken, Peters - is that right?
What about Kennedy & Scott?

Millar isn't one of the 9, didn't think Peters was either. Malone is definitely signed as is Easton.

4 minutes ago, Kwaka Mal said:

9 of the present squad staying at least for next season.

McCallum, Bain, Travis, Munro, Mackintosh, Millar, Hilson, Aitken, Peters - is that right?

What about Kennedy & Scott?

Thought Josh was just to end of this season. For the rest it's a decent base but we'll need to add some quality. Only one not signed I'd still want is Millar.

2 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Malone is definitely signed as is Easton.

Good, I like Malone, a good honest player.

Some pre-season training to get Dylan to pass, before he tries to beat a 3 or 4 defenders, and the job's a goodun.

1 minute ago, nofixedability said:

Only one not signed I'd still want is Millar.

Get's my vote.  Thought he was with us next season, perhaps just wishful thinking.

Thought Josh was just to end of this season. For the rest it's a decent base but we'll need to add some quality. Only one not signed I'd still want is Millar.

Millar re-signing would be great news. Only other positive rumour (probably via P&B) was the Elgin striker that Jim managed previously.

Kennedy (if fit) will almost certainly be offered a deal (due to him being under 23 and having come up through the ranks. Plus, Forfar would be due compensation if he moved on with an offer on the table). Not sure about Marco's status.

Archived