Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Savage Henry said:

I have no definite way of telling, obviously, but for one thing, look at the language used. That has been proofed and translated. That takes time. Not six hours, or whatever. Think of IS as a bureaucracy in this regard.

There's a really interesting paper on precisely how Islamic State produced press releases. Follow a guy called Charlie Winter on Twitter. He linked to a PDF version online someplace, and that explains the where's and how's.

If needs be they could have drafted it, translated it and had it approved in a jiffy. Your NYT woman thinks they may have had no contact with the bomber.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

? Sorry if I've been whooshed here but what's this all about

Guys brother still missing, Telegraph have door-stepped him for an interview, numerous other outlets have "learned" his phone number 

If needs be they could have drafted it, translated it and had it approved in a jiffy. Your NYT woman thinks they may have had no contact with the bomber.

I'm seeing that and it also refers to the number of dead.

I don't think that she's saying that they didn't have contact, merely that it isn't clear. And IS strategy doesn't necessitate contact. It does differentiate between supported events and inspired events. SITE, the security analysis agency, are quite firm that this is the former.

The NYT journalist also appears to be implying that the perpetrator may still be at large, which seems at odds with what the UK authorities are hinting at.

? Sorry if I've been whooshed here but what's this all about

Correct me if I'm wrong about this: Someone tweeted about his brother still not being in contact and he later tweeted that dozens of journalists have been hounding him for contact details and one even found his address and stuck a note through his door. The second image is all the friend requests he's been getting on Facebook. Insensitive fucking vultures.

Guys brother still missing, Telegraph have door-stepped him for an interview, numerous other outlets have "learned" his phone number 

Sadly, it's something that has to be done. I could never personally do it, but if you go into that line of journalism, a "death knock" is almost expected. I absolutely hate the idea of it, and don't agree with it whatsoever, but it's usually the editors who put the pressure on the journalists to do it; I wouldn't blame the journalist.

Suppose after everything else we've tried maybe going down the "you're all loser VLs" route by the leader of the free world might have some success.

I think Trump had got this completely correct. Don't glamorise these scumbags... there fukin just pathetic losers

Sadly, it's something that has to be done. I could never personally do it, but if you go into that line of journalism, a "death knock" is almost expected. I absolutely hate the idea of it, and don't agree with it whatsoever, but it's usually the editors who put the pressure on the journalists to do it; I wouldn't blame the journalist.

Think your mixing classless journos looking for a story with police informing next of kin of a death.
Or I've misunderstood what you mean.

When I read the initial post in this thread, I genuinely thought that it was the set-up to an unfunny joke about Ariana Grande's hit single 'Bang Bang'. Alas, it wasn't.

Awful stuff. Can only repeat what others have said, but I'd also add that I feel a bit sorry for Ariana who has automatically (and unjustifiably) assumed a sense of responsibility/guilt for the attacks. This will unfortunately live with her for the rest of her life.

49 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I have no definite way of telling, obviously, but for one thing, look at the language used. That has been proofed and translated. That takes time. Not six hours, or whatever. Think of IS as a bureaucracy in this regard.

There's a really interesting paper on precisely how Islamic State produced press releases. Follow a guy called Charlie Winter on Twitter. He linked to a PDF version online someplace, and that explains the where's and how's.

I don't mean to digress further, but i often wonder where ISIS get their backroom staff. I doubt anyone turns up with a CV in the hope of getting a temporary admin gig. What if you get transferred to the suicide bomber department? I doubt they'd be amenable to your reasons for not going.

Best thing at any time of tragedy is to ignore the likes of Brookstein and Katie Hopkins.  In fact, best thing to do at any time at all is to ignore them.

Archived