Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

All those Twitter accounts that say they hate 'forners' are piss takes.

For all the talk about backlash, Islamophobia, there is actually rarely any unsavoury backlash against Muslims following these attacks.  I think the fact that many people immediately jump to say that ordinary Muslims will suffer has become a knee jerk reaction, we can't really face the truth of what happens in these attacks - that there are people in this country, and elsewhere in the world, with an ideology that says killing children is a great thing to do, that murdering eight year olds is the path to a better world.

It's probably due to all the Muslims apologising on behalf of all Muslims to everyone they meet.*

*According to Facebook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that there's no backlash against Muslims but it's isolated incidents rather than widespread - certainly less than the reaction to the Birmingham pub bombings for example.

First and foremost, an utterly fucking horrific attack and I can't even begin to imagine what some families must be feeling today. Not for any of that indulgent "it could've been me" crap, but it does resonate even more when it's people leaving a gig like that.

I really would like to know what the 'solution' is that Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins etc. have to end these atrocities. I see people on Twitter giving it the whole "they're saying what we're all thinking" speech. I'm not thinking what they're saying, but pretend we all were. What the f**k can you do to stop attacks like this? Huge state surveillance can only go so far, one or two people are almost certainly going to slip through the cracks.

This isn't like the IRA conflict (and I'm not condoning their bombings for a second by the way), these Islamic extremists have no realistic end game. The IRA wanted British soldiers out of Northern Ireland and a united Ireland, not all that likely but still an outside chance of it happening. How can you negotiate towards peace with these people, and how can you actually stop them from existing? There's no country to invade, there's no Berlin bunker to trap them in. There's a Stewart Lee routine that essentially makes this point.

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

Salford University's been evacuated. Most likely just nothing though, everywhere's just on high alert.

It wouldn't surprise me if the point of the IS message was to spread panic about other bombs which probably don't exist. Spread the fear and suspicion, and understandable paranoia. As atrocious as the bombing was, you have to be incredibly unlucky to be harmed by a terrorist attack, especially in Europe. 

Thought we'd need to wait till at least Thursday till folk got a chubber on about whether the bomber was/wasn't a refugee.

Apparently not, heard a few people blaming the refugees today.

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Noone was outraged at the suggestion that the perpetrator could have been inspired by extremist groups who claim to be representing Islam.

Most people saw that there was no value in acting as if it was a proven fact while virtually no information had been released. Gas leaks, explosions and stampedes happen fairly regularly around the World with no Daesh involvement. Making assumptions doesn't do anyone any favours.

The vast majority on the forum had no difficulty understanding this nuance.

as I remember it nobody was making assumptions as such ,more suggesting possibilities ,which as you say gas leaks , stampedes and so on were all possible reasons for this, as was an act by a muslim extremist , whenever this came up it was instantly shot down as if it was demonising an entire community, An explosion in a major city in the UK will have all the theories mentioned ,suggesting an act of islamic extremism doesn't make that poster or anyone a racist, it's just a very real possibility of what could have happened.

Hope the vast majority understand the nuance.

Just now, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

You'd think she'd know a bit of recent British history. Stunning stupidity:

Who is she? To be fair I only heard of Arianna whatever her name is when I read a review in the metro yesterday.

Some good contributions on this thread (and then there's McSpreader).

It's a cliché, but incidents like this and the reaction afterwards really show both the best and worst of humanity. It feels like we're caught in a vicious circle, with the terrorists and the far-right acting as each others most effective recruiting tools.

IMO as a society, we're still unable to have a grown up or productive discussion on this and related topics due to head in the sand or knee jerk reactions from both sides.

Archived