Fixtures

Kennie

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, classof2010 said:

I've always said get rid of league cup but going to a 16 team league doesn't mean less games it means more. if you just scrap the sectional cups it also doesn't change the amount of games shoehorned into 8 or 9 weeks. our weather and the precidence the Scottish cup gets is reason a full fixture list wudnt work in my opinion

I still can't fathom what you mean by "wudnt work". Postponements , replays and rescheduling happen in just about every league so no fixture list ever remains immutable. Nevertheless the majority of fixtures go ahead as planned.

I still can't fathom what you mean by "wudnt work". Postponements , replays and rescheduling happen in just about every league so no fixture list ever remains immutable. Nevertheless the majority of fixtures go ahead as planned.

But what leagues are restricted to Saturday football for 7 months of a season and cup replays on a saturday

I know its different days but in the early 30's there was a 26 team league, 50 league games plus Scottish, West, Central, then others such as Renfrewshire cup games, they managed it. That said at the start of the season they player Friday, Saturday, Monday, repeat im not advocating that but why dont we go to 16, 30 league games start of the season you play Saturday - Wednesday and get as many games in early doors as possible rather than 'hoping' the weather is kind over the winter months.

I know its different days but in the early 30's there was a 26 team league, 50 league games plus Scottish, West, Central, then others such as Renfrewshire cup games, they managed it. That said at the start of the season they player Friday, Saturday, Monday, repeat im not advocating that but why dont we go to 16, 30 league games start of the season you play Saturday - Wednesday and get as many games in early doors as possible rather than 'hoping' the weather is kind over the winter months.

Top teams would need a bigger squad but I don't mind the 30 game league but there's gotta be give n take with cups ie sectional must go or at least make it for the 2 bottom leagues and this nonsense evening times cup as well

One of the problems with comparing to the past is that games that would have been played even ten years ago are called off now, therefore even a mild winter has more call offs than the bad winters from yesteryear. I'm not saying that we shouldn't change because of that, but it is a factor in call offs.

Great idea, they play midweek in the Sectional League Cup in the summer so it wouldn't be a problem to do so in the League. Maybe the only caveat if possible would be to play against other teams that are reasonably close together so that players who would normally struggle to make games because of work could have a better chance of making it.

Class2010, why not have the Ayrshire and Central League cups for teams from say the central and Ayrshire leagues only? The likes of Rob Roy, Arthurlie, Pollok etc play in the west super as do the likes of Talbot, Cumnock, Hurlford, Glenafton etc.... why not have the Central and Ayrshire cups the equivalent of the .... Irn Bru, thats its name now?, cup for teams outwith the super leagues. No dissrespect but on the whole those teams dont go deep in the Scottish or West so that would have a balance fixture wise, if any district team does go deep they wont give a fook about extra games as they will be doing well.

Heard it mentioned before that those two cups have sponsors so.... well get them to sponsor other cups in that case?

5 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

Class2010, why not have the Ayrshire and Central League cups for teams from say the central and Ayrshire leagues only? The likes of Rob Roy, Arthurlie, Pollok etc play in the west super as do the likes of Talbot, Cumnock, Hurlford, Glenafton etc.... why not have the Central and Ayrshire cups the equivalent of the .... Irn Bru, thats its name now?, cup for teams outwith the super leagues. No dissrespect but on the whole those teams dont go deep in the Scottish or West so that would have a balance fixture wise, if any district team does go deep they wont give a fook about extra games as they will be doing well.

Heard it mentioned before that those two cups have sponsors so.... well get them to sponsor other cups in that case?

1. If reconstruction gets voted in 3 weeks today, there will be no Central or Ayrshire leagues after next season.

2. The Ayrshire Sectional Cup (Ardagh) and League Cup (Weekly Press) each have a sponsor, but the Central equivalents do not as Euroscot failed to cough up their sponsorship money last season.

Let's wait & see the outcomes of the AGM votes, then have a lively debate about what to do with the cup competitions.

Whatever way the vote goes, the cup competitions are desperately in need of refreshing & reform!

I like the Ayrshire Cup and sometimes harder to win than the west il stick to changing sectional to bottom 2 leagues

First block of West Region Fixtures all ready for release if I get the nod from the clubs at the AGM.

Sectional league cup and 12 league fixtures.

I have left spaces for the Scottish Cup and the West of Scotland Cup.

First block of West Region Fixtures all ready for release if I get the nod from the clubs at the AGM.
Sectional league cup and 12 league fixtures.
I have left spaces for the Scottish Cup and the West of Scotland Cup.

How far would you get if we scrapped the Ardagh/Central pre season trophy bud? Just for enquiries sake?
East league play almost a quarter of their season before we've started our league games . No brainer

5 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

How far would you get if we scrapped the Ardagh/Central pre season trophy bud? Just for enquiries sake?
East league play almost a quarter of their season before we've started our league games . No brainer

The Sectional games take up 7 matchdays.

The Sectional games take up 7 matchdays.

Aye a know .
Get rid of that & you free up quarter of the season .
A know in your former guise you were against as your former club relied on their yearly fix against the big 3 to make ends meet
But to have what is planned re four leagues of 16 we need to start the league asap & dump this lame duck trophy

28 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

Aye a know .
Get rid of that & you free up quarter of the season .
A know in your former guise you were against as your former club relied on their yearly fix against the big 3 to make ends meet
But to have what is planned re four leagues of 16 we need to start the league asap & dump this lame duck trophy

Yes, my former club did benefit financially at the start of the season but that did diminish somewhat when the shared gate was abolished.

I'm still not fully in favour of getting rid, but I do recognise that it needs looked into. Johnstone Burgh spoke about a revamp but it was shelved for this year. It is an interesting re-boot of the cup and I believe it could serve a purpose. If voted in I would advocate a full-blown discussion with all concerned regarding all the cups and their place in the game, and I don't mean just something flung together and presented to the clubs on the AGM agenda without consultation.

Yes, my former club did benefit financially at the start of the season but that did diminish somewhat when the shared gate was abolished.
 I'm still not fully in favour of getting rid, but I do recognise that it needs looked into. Johnstone Burgh spoke about a revamp but it was shelved for this year. It is an interesting re-boot of the cup and I believe it could serve a purpose. If voted in I would advocate a full-blown discussion with all concerned regarding all the cups and their place in the game, and I don't mean just something flung together and presented to the clubs on the AGM agenda without consultation.

I don't think a lot of members at the meeting fully grasped Ricky at Johnstone's proposal to revamp the Sectional Cup. Perhaps because they didn't seem to view it in advance.

I thought it was a good idea personally, but it's feasibility depends on the outcome of the league reconstruction & fixture secretary votes.

If it's 4 leagues of 16 top 2 leagues play league games bottom 2 play a sectional cup more fixtures and income for them as they are less likely to get far in the 3 other cups like the cup they have in seniors don't know it's name the old Ramsdens cup

2 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

If it's 4 leagues of 16 top 2 leagues play league games bottom 2 play a sectional cup more fixtures and income for them as they are less likely to get far in the 3 other cups like the cup they have in seniors don't know it's name the old Ramsdens cup

Was it not called "The You're Not Good Enough To Play With The Big Boys Cup"?

I'm not sure that the clubs involved would relish a cup that didn't have much kudos in it due to the missing "Big Teams".

Just my opinion.

Archived