Fixtures

Kennie

I'd go 14 team 16 team 16 team 18 team the only issue is travelling now we are west. girvan to forth being an example it's always going to be hard travel wise I just don't think regionalised lower leagues work that would be 26 league games top teams and 34 for bottom league get rid of this horrible evening times cup at end of season and if we must keep it then have it as season opener for next season make the league cup either
1 disappear
2 knockout
3 make it like the Ramsden cup for the 2 lower leagues giving them plenty fixtures
Next subject fixture list I'd love a full fixture list but because of weather scottish cup postponements and replays I'm not for that but maybe a month to month with the fixtures being announced on 1st of July for the whole of August giving you minimum 28 days notice upto maybe 61 days notice to sort out sponsorship and licences for clubs with bars

The idea of a cup for bottom two leagues after reconstruction is a great idea. Gives everybody in those leagues a chance of a cup win every now and again

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of a cup for bottom two leagues after reconstruction is a great idea. Gives everybody in those leagues a chance of a cup win every now and again

Also guarentees the super leagues starting first weekend in August it wud be for bottom 2 leagues 8 groups of 4 quarter finals semis n final

The man who started this thread has once again lit the blue touch paper then just sat back and watched everybody else squabble over it,, begs the question is he the answer to the problem.

Sorry but I'm off grid at the moment due to being on holiday. This was a post to highlight the fixture situation. It has developed into something else.
All I can ask is that I get a chance to improve things for all the clubs in the Region. I am prepared to stand by my promises and I'm sure I will be reminded of them as the season progresses if I get the vote. I will stand or fall based on them.

Alienating the top clubs by shoehorning in more games is a surefire way to ensure the Lowland League becomes stronger very quickly

The same Lowland League that has 16 teams and 30 league matches a season?

Sorry but I'm off grid at the moment due to being on holiday. This was a post to highlight the fixture situation. It has developed into something else.
All I can ask is that I get a chance to improve things for all the clubs in the Region. I am prepared to stand by my promises and I'm sure I will be reminded of them as the season progresses if I get the vote. I will stand or fall based on them.

So what changes would u make? Would u give us a full fixture list?

Mon the papers

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The same Lowland League that has 16 teams and 30 league matches a season?

It's a totally different kettle of fish in terms of organisation though.

You're correct that LL also has 30 league games, and it also has 4 cups. Indeed it gets them finished by mid to late April (except 1 of the cups which is played off the end).

However there is a starkly different approach - starts the last Saturday in July; runs a fixturelist; doesn't take lots of holiday weekends; no sectional cup; cup-ties don't get priority over league games when they're postponed; and perhaps most importantly games are allowed under artificial light, with many games-in-hand caught-up on midweek.

At the moment the West Junior Super Premier plays only 22 league games, and yet runs into June most seasons.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

At the moment the West Junior Super Premier plays only 22 league games, and yet runs into June most seasons.

Only for some clubs.

The difference is down to two main factors - number of postponements due to weather and differences in progress in cup competitions.

Except for installing all-weather pitches, there's not a lot can be done about the first (mind you, even Hurlford, whose ground has been notorious for postponed games, finished THEIR season on 6th May).

The second CAN be addressed by dropping, amalgamating or reformatting the cup competitions. Some very useful suggestions in that regard have already been made on this thread.

Of course no season-long (or even half-season-long) fixture list can remain immutable. The levels of football where they already have them all have to tweak them as the season progresses, to take account of weather-related postponements and cup replays (which only exist in ONE Junior tournament). It works for them and it COULD work in the West Juniors.

Only for some clubs.
The difference is down to two main factors - number of postponements due to weather and differences in progress in cup competitions.
Except for installing all-weather pitches, there's not a lot can be done about the first (mind you, even Hurlford, whose ground has been notorious for postponed games, finished THEIR season on 6th May).
The second CAN be addressed by dropping, amalgamating or reformatting the cup competitions. Some very useful suggestions in that regard have already been made on this thread.
Of course no season-long (or even half-season-long) fixture list can remain immutable. The levels of football where they already have them all have to tweak them as the season progresses, to take account of weather-related postponements and cup replays (which only exist in ONE Junior tournament). It works for them and it COULD work in the West Juniors.

I still think a month at a time released on the first of the month for the next month that gives u between 28 and 61 days to arrange any sponsorship and licenses for hospitality

I have to say that having read most of the opinions on this thread, I find it strange that clubs are being asked to vote for a new league setup without knowing what cups may or may not be sacrificed,/changed to make way for the extra fixtures.

Can someone in the know tell me if all the west clubs can vote to scrap/change the regional cups? Or is it just the clubs in each region that get a vote regarding their cup?

I assume its the former as otherwise chaos could ensure.

3 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

I still think a month at a time released on the first of the month for the next month that gives u between 28 and 61 days to arrange any sponsorship and licenses for hospitality

100% wrong yet again. You really haven't a clue how things work.

There have been numerous occasions when Pollok have been approached with a lucrative offer of sponsorship for a specific match and been asked e.g. "When is it you're due to play your home league game vs Talbot?". The club has had to respond "Sorry sir, we haven't a scooby" and not only lost out but appeared to be part of a very unprofessional set-up. The same potential sponsor could approach say East Kilbride FC about their fixture with Spartans right at the start of the season and get a straight answer.

Businesses do not operate a few days, weeks, or even months in advance. Most often they plan at least a year ahead.

3 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

I have to say that having read most of the opinions on this thread, I find it strange that clubs are being asked to vote for a new league setup without knowing what cups may or may not be sacrificed,/changed to make way for the extra fixtures.

Can someone in the know tell me if all the west clubs can vote to scrap/change the regional cups? Or is it just the clubs in each region that get a vote regarding their cup?

I assume its the former as otherwise chaos could ensure.

It is the West Region. One organisation. The Ayrshire and Central regions do not exist any more, which was another motivating factor behind proposing doing away with the residual regionalisation within the league system.

As for your first sentence, I'm fed up repeating the explanation for that. Read the previous posts on this thread and on the original reorganisation thread, it's all there.

100% wrong yet again. You really haven't a clue how things work.
There have been numerous occasions when Pollok have been approached with a lucrative offer of sponsorship for a specific match and been asked e.g. "When is it you're due to play your home league game vs Talbot?". The club has had to respond "Sorry sir, we haven't a scooby" and not only lost out but appeared to be part of a very unprofessional set-up. The same potential sponsor could approach say East Kilbride FC about their fixture with Spartans right at the start of the season and get a straight answer.
Businesses do not operate a few days, weeks, or even months in advance. Most often they plan at least a year ahead.

Yeah you could also be told it's ok 12th of February maybe depending on weather scottish cup rescheduling or scottish cup replay so you are no further forward as the way things stand just now a full fixture list would turn into a joke and probably less than 50% would be played on date set out at beginning of season

It is the West Region. One organisation. The Ayrshire and Central regions do not exist any more, which was another motivating factor behind proposing doing away with the residual regionalisation within the league system.
As for your first sentence, I'm fed up repeating the explanation for that. Read the previous posts on this thread and on the original reorganisation thread, it's all there.

Just because you've explained it doesn't mean I need to think it's the right approach. Please accept my apologies for having an opinion.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

What happens if the league reorganisation passes this year, but no cup reorganisation passes next year?

I.e. is the former conditional on the latter.

The world will end of course :lol:

Only kidding. The WR club reps aren't stupid. It's just that there's no point in getting into a complicated time consuming debate about the multiple possibilities there would be for altering the current cup competitions until after we know whether clubs want the new league set up. Again, I have to emphasise that it's too late to change that now and the club reps' vote will decide. So please accept that and consider what MIGHT happen next if reconstruction & fixture lists are voted in.

38 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

Yeah you could also be told it's ok 12th of February maybe depending on weather scottish cup rescheduling or scottish cup replay so you are no further forward as the way things stand just now a full fixture list would turn into a joke and probably less than 50% would be played on date set out at beginning of season

That's utterly pessimistic nonsense. Far more fixtures would go ahead as scheduled than would be postponed.

12 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Just because you've explained it doesn't mean I need to think it's the right approach. Please accept my apologies for having an opinion.

Well we'll just need to wait and see, won't we.

Well we'll just need to wait and see, won't we.

What a pompous reply. We don't have to wait and see. I know there's going to be a vote. I know what's being voted on and I know the proposal can't be changed, but my opinion is that it should only have been done in combination with cup reconstruction. My opinion isn't going to change whether the proposal is accepted our rejected.

38 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

Anyone who disagrees with you. You just shoot them down or try and make them sound stupid it's a forum not the archieb show

Exact mate and who the hell does he think he is? 

one arrogant man and away and celebrate and enjoy the cup win today like a real man rather than spending all night on here ridiculing others Archie ffs . 

What a pompous reply. We don't have to wait and see. I know there's going to be a vote. I know what's being voted on and I know the proposal can't be changed, but my opinion is that it should only have been done in combination with cup reconstruction. My opinion isn't going to change whether the proposal is accepted our rejected.

100 percent agree il asked most of my mates who go home and away and the closest I got to 1 of them agreeing with the proposal was it meant 8 more games to watch then he came back and said cup reconstruction shud of been at same time

WOW! If you guys think I'M arrogant and pompous you've obviously never come up against the WRSJFA hierarchy!

As a matter of fact I actually AGREE with you all regarding the desirability of sorting out cup competitions at the same time as league reconstruction.

What I'm trying to explain is, after much debate, and rightly or wrongly, the people working on the proposal decided that there was a danger of making what is now the AGM motion too complicated and that it wouldn't stand a chance of being voted for. Too many objections to different bits would make the whole thing fall and that would mean no chance of ANY such change for another 2 years.

You can debate all you like whether a different approach would have been better for whatever reason, but it now comes down to what's proposed, plus or without amendments and the HOPE that cups will be amended to fit in, or no change at all for 2 years plus.

What would you prefer?

Archived