The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

What I will add is this: the developments of the last 24 hours have made me a lot less confident about the financial issues. 48 hours ago I was thinking there's no way that, as a club, we'd have been stupid enough to get important things like that so badly wrong. And now look at us.

My prediction is now that we're going to get clobbered by that, too. Suspended fine, more legal costs, 6 point actual deduction. It just feels like that sort of season.

Edited by Coventry Saint

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It just feels like that sort of season.

Heh, yeah... it does, doesn't it? Which, as we've both alluded to, would be frustrating as we clearly have the players at our disposal for relegation not to be an issue.

Car crash seasons are always slow motion car crash seasons. I await with baited breath.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What I will add is this: the developments of the last 24 hours have made me a lot less confident about the financial issues. 48 hours ago I was thinking there's no way that, as a club, we'd have been stupid enough to get important things like that so badly wrong. And now look at us.

My prediction is now that we're going to get clobbered by that, too. Suspended fine, more legal costs, 6 point actual deduction. It just feels like that sort of season.

The financial issue pre dates the present board it’s an issue going back to Gilmour and Co days. From what I understand it’s a fairly routine matter. But Kibble are part funded by the government and therefore want everything done by the book. Hence the investigation to get something put in place.

14 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The financial issue pre dates the present board it’s an issue going back to Gilmour and Co days. From what I understand it’s a fairly routine matter. But Kibble are part funded by the government and therefore want everything done by the book. Hence the investigation to get something put in place.

OK, cheers for the reassurance!

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

Heh, yeah... it does, doesn't it? Which, as we've both alluded to, would be frustrating as we clearly have the players at our disposal for relegation not to be an issue.

Car crash seasons are always slow motion car crash seasons. I await with baited breath.

Correct, we have a squad that could comfortably finish 8th. But how dull and boring would that be.

Let's beat Hearts on penalties in the play off - a play off we were only in because Hamilton were 2 goals better off than us.

That would be the best great escape ever.

9 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Correct, we have a squad that could comfortably finish 8th. But how dull and boring would that be.

Let's beat Hearts on penalties in the play off - a play off we were only in because Hamilton were 2 goals better off than us.

That would be the best great escape ever.

Ach.. by now St Mirren relegations are like the cleaning of Mr Miyagi's car... go up, go down, go up, go down... breathe

Up until a couple of weeks ago we've been gash. On the pitch, off the pitch and in the car going home. 

Yet, if the season ended today due to some unforeseen pandemic, say, we'd still be above Hamilton and in touching distance of 9th.

We should be using all this to motivate everyone at the club for the remaining 24 league games and 2 cup competitions, particularly now we have a fully fit squad and we're starting to show some form. 

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

OK, cheers for the reassurance!

I think after this week any enthusiasm I had for this season has gone. I've convinced myself Motherwell would have beaten us anyway, and the fine is suspended, but the really sore one is the Hamilton game.  

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Wherever you stand on the punishment given out by the SPFL,still makes me cringe to think that they would never apply the same punishment to either of the arse cheeks. 

The club need to accept it and get their act together, but let’s not pretend the strict measures taken against St Mirren and Kille would be replicated, had this been either old firm team. 

Rules for some none for the old firm.

Aye, cos Rangers are really the flavour of the month and in the SPFL's good books right enough.

This is not a good look.

People in control at St Mirren, who should have known better, appear to have screwed up and the club has been punished justifiably. IMO heads should roll for these breaches of protocol.

However I can't see that Livingston and/or Ross County have done anything wrong and yet they have both potentially been penalised due to Hamilton getting 3 points and +3 goal difference for free. Surely only the guilty parties deserve penalties. If I was a Livi / RC supporter I would be raging at the unfairness of this situation.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

People in control at St Mirren, who should have known better, appear to have screwed up and the club has been punished justifiably. IMO heads should roll for these breaches of protocol.

However I can't see that Livingston and/or Ross County have done anything wrong and yet they have both potentially been penalised due to Hamilton getting 3 points and +3 goal difference for free. Surely only the guilty parties deserve penalties. If I was a Livi / RC supporter I would be raging at the unfairness of this situation.

Reasonable point. Let's say we go on to have a decent season and finish clear of the drop zone. Let's say Accies survive by two points at the expense of County, who we beat in our remaining games against them.

Definitely not balanced, that.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

If you’d have spent that on your team maybe you wouldn’t be second in the league and you wouldn’t have just been papped out the cup by part time Alloa:
Thanks for popping up to remind us things could be so much worse, we could be Hearts fans emoji122.png

Check out your thread title for a reminder of how things aren’t going to plan 👍

Check out your thread title for a reminder of how things aren’t going to plan [emoji106]

It’s a joke...
Still living rent free in that head of yours though. Say hello to Morton tomorrow.

IMG_4175.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

I mean, Hearts sit second in the Championship and were knocked out the League Cup by Alloa.

8 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

The league authoritie system is in need of a overhaul.  I would have been raging had I been a Hearts , Thistle, Stranaer Falkirk fan. Now with my own club getting punished due to C19 rules being broken nothing comes as a surprise with punishment being handed out. Scottish football always gives its self a good kick in the nuts. 

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

The league authoritie system is in need of a overhaul.  I would have been raging had I been a Hearts , Thistle, Stranaer Falkirk fan. Now with my own club getting punished due to C19 rules being broken nothing comes as a surprise with punishment being handed out. Scottish football always gives its self a good kick in the nuts. 

What happened to Hearts was a result of their own intransigence and ended up costing Thistle too (not sure about Stranraer). Budge was give a chance to introduce reconstruction proposals but as they were designed principaly to benefit Hearts "expansion for one season" she alienated everyone else in the virtual room - no sympathy for Hearts or their paranoid fans.

Edited by btb