The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

RIP big Gordon McQueen to this day I can remember Gordon bursting the net with a low shoot into the corner of the net at Love Street. Used play pool in the Fox & Hounds in the 90's big gent of a man. 

I’m not sure if the story I’m about to tell is legitimate or not as it does sound like one of those “Wesley Snipes in a lift” type stories but I used to get the bus to games from Kilbirnie where McQueen was from which is where I heard this.

Soon after he signed for Man Utd he invited one of his mates to hospitality and told him to wait in the players lounge. The guy waited in the lounge and went to the bar for a drink (I’m guessing this must’ve been mid-70s) and handed over X amount after getting his pint and being shocked to get no change.

This happened a few times before McQueen came up after the game, the guy in question said let’s go somewhere else it’s too expensive here and McQueen said “what do you mean, it’s all free” at which point the punter realised he had been heavily tipping the bar man.

Typing it out it does read more like a OFAH skit or something like that.

Baccus played well today , he played in front if the back four znd a lot of play went through him , he made several forward runs with the ball and seldom wasted a pass.  Any football manager/ head of recruitment worth their salt would be watching today's game . Think a few teams might make their move quickly before interest hits up . I'm expecting him to sign for an ambitious championship side. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

He’s been excellent.

Strain on for the last 20 as well. 

That's because he is an excellent player.

However, seems that in some supporters eyes he's easily replaceable.:wacko:

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Baccus played well today , he played in front if the back four znd a lot of play went through him , he made several forward runs with the ball and seldom wasted a pass.  Any football manager/ head of recruitment worth their salt would be watching today's game . Think a few teams might make their move quickly before interest hits up . I'm expecting him to sign for an ambitious championship side. 

He also did a great job of breaking up a lot of Argentina’s attacks too. 

McQueen's death was expected, but it's still a timely reminder, literally, how things creep up on you. Over the years, great players of the past have 'shuffled off their mortal coil', and while it's been a little sad, it was "of another generation". McQueen is still not "of my generation" but it's getting closer. It's hitting a little harder each time.

On a side note, I appreciate they cover it in the article, but I presume St Mirren wasn't sexy enough clickbait for the BBC to mention us in the headline...

6h55tID.png

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Seen stuff on Twitter suggesting Blackpool are very keen on Baccus. I'm fairly sure he could do better than League One and I'd be amazed if a top half Championship club wasn't sniffing about.

Sadly, Blackpool will be able to pay more than us but I’d hope he can get a bigger and better stage to perform in. 

4 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Sadly, Blackpool will be able to pay more than us but I’d hope he can get a bigger and better stage to perform in. 

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Not saying Blackpool aren't capable of signing basically any of our players: more that I hope Baccus will be aiming higher. Also because we'd be more likely to get a higher fee.

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Gordon McQueen play for St Mirren. Even more fortunate to have been at the game where he literally burst the net while scoring a rasping shot from distance. 

A brilliant centre half who went on to have a fabulous career. Came back as a coach during the Fitzy management days.

RIP big man.

20 hours ago, Div said:

Always generally found our fans far more forgiving if anything of academy graduates when they come into the team.

I'm not so sure that is accurate to be honest. I distinctly remember Erhahon, Kelly, McLean, Naismith and a few others getting constant pelters from that band of tadgers in the middle of the West Stand.

A lot of fans are incredibly tough on youth team graduates that appear in the first team and it's horrendous at times. I really hope Jamieson & Offord are not next in line for it.

14 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Gordon McQueen play for St Mirren. Even more fortunate to have been at the game where he literally burst the net while scoring a rasping shot from distance. 

A brilliant centre half who went on to have a fabulous career. Came back as a coach during the Fitzy management days.

RIP big man.

I was a youngster at that game. Sure it was a midweek game and through the fog of time, I’m sure it wasn’t given as it went under the net, but I may be wrong

58 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

I was a youngster at that game. Sure it was a midweek game and through the fog of time, I’m sure it wasn’t given as it went under the net, but I may be wrong

You are correct, initially not given, but after a Var Check  net inspection the goal was given.

Pretty sure it was versus Albion Rovers.

Me and Glenburn Bud knew it was a goal 😉