The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Nothing to do with St Mirren but spent an excellent day here today. As Bruce Springsteen said ‘This is my hometown’. Did he ever say ‘Gie’s a signing’?

A24281BD-F6D8-4F01-AB80-D3FC22343063.jpeg

Must be the angle but I can't see the sign for Top 6.

Are we waiting on movement from players outbound before we make any inroads, with regards to boosting the squad with signings.

I must admit that it’s a tad underwhelming to see no players signed as yet. Considering the business we had done at this point last season. 

Just now, glenburn bud said:

Are we waiting on movement from players outbound before we make any inroads, with regards to boosting the squad with signings.

I must admit that it’s a tad underwhelming to see no players signed as yet. Considering the business we had done at this point last season. 

I doubt we’re waiting on players going out after Tait, Shaughnessy, Main and Dunne going. They were likely 4 of our higher earners.

I see some fans getting in a right panic on Twitter but we’re in a different position than last year and we’ve got 21 players (I think) signed up already for next season. I think we’re probably looking at around 5 additions and I’m pretty happy to wait for the right signings than rushing in to signing guys like Matty Kennedy.

6 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I doubt we’re waiting on players going out after Tait, Shaughnessy, Main and Dunne going. They were likely 4 of our higher earners.

I see some fans getting in a right panic on Twitter but we’re in a different position than last year and we’ve got 21 players (I think) signed up already for next season. I think we’re probably looking at around 5 additions and I’m pretty happy to wait for the right signings than rushing in to signing guys like Matty Kennedy.

5 or 6 feels about right if there are no further outgoings. 4 first picks and a couple of players to pad the squad out.

If we manage to get rid of Brophy and there is any movement on the Baccus or O'Hara front though, I'd like to think we'll replace them too.

52 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I think we’re probably looking at around 5 additions and I’m pretty happy to wait for the right signings than rushing in to signing guys like Matty Kennedy.

Just what I was thinking... our rivals have announced signings today (Magennis & Kennedy to Killie; Turner to Ross County) but they all fit quite squarely into the "meh" category. Don't think any of them would be an improvement on what we already have.

Not in our league now, but interesting to see Goodwin signing up a couple of jobber Championship midfielders (Docherty & Grimshaw) for United's title push. Wonder if that's down to finances as much as anything else.

59 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

our rivals have announced signings today (Magennis & Kennedy to Killie; Turner to Ross County)

Are we really considering two hopeless bottom six clubs as our rivals now?

Killie & County can sign who they like, they won’t get near us.

8 hours ago, Cjbright1 said:

Zach Hemming 

giphy.gif

Rank awful keeper. I have no idea what is going on with Urminsky, quite a few saying his cameo show at the tail of last season showed he was perhaps not all that solid of a backup (which would be a shame as we've spent a lot of time developing the lad), but there is no way he's a worse keeper than Hemming. He looked a bombscare every second he was on the field.

One of those, "I trust Robinson's judgement", but still, and even if finances are stretched thin covering other places on the pitch, I would prefer we nominated a "running keeper" than have Hemmings between the sticks.

Edited by Ric

7 hours ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Are we really considering two hopeless bottom six clubs as our rivals now?

Killie & County can sign who they like, they won’t get near us.

Pride comes before a fall. I'm sure Dundee Utd fans would have been saying similar this  time last year. That's football for you.....

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Pride comes before a fall. I'm sure Dundee Utd fans would have been saying similar this  time last year. That's football for you.....

Yup. There's nothing wrong with saying that those players aren't what we'd be looking for at this moment in time but it's absolutely wild to suggest that we're somehow in a different market to sides we've consistently swapped places with in the league for years.

Every team in the league aside from the arsecheeks are our direct rivals. Even Aberdeen and the Edinburgh sides. The last few seasons have shown that any of us can flirt with top six/European places and any of us can wind up in a dogfight with one rotten season.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

any of us can wind up in a dogfight with one rotten season.

One bad window, really.

One of the last clubs to get arrogant, and think they could stand still and just add depth, was us after our double winning season.

A month later we'd lost two key players and had no set replacements and we've never recovered.

The equivalent is you lot spending the whole window adding depth, then losing Strain and O'Hara on deadline day without replacements. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The equivalent is you lot spending the whole window adding depth, then losing Strain and O'Hara on deadline day without replacements. 

Which is really not an inconceivable outcome. Both would command strong six-figure fees, which is fine, but also there's no way we're turning those fees down even at the end of August.