The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, saintmurn said:

Blackandwhitearmy saying £275k, dunno if that's accurate but even with future fee clauses and a year left on the contract, it seems very low. 

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

275 is a joke and if true it’s horrendous business. Add ons are always unlikely - 275 k for a full international. Unbelievable if true simply a shit deal - we must be desperate 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

275K is very poor if true. Even allowing for an add on clause that’s a poor fee for the player.

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

£275k isn’t a great fee at all but he’s only worth what teams are willing to pay for him.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Very kind but I haven't run the B&W Army twitter account for a couple of years now. That said, the £275K being bandied about won't be too far off the mark IMO.

We're not in a strong position here and the club will not want to run the risk of him walking away for nothing next Summer.

275k is very low in my eyes for someone with a year left and played in the world cup. It upsets me to think if it was say Motherwell or the other teams that finished top 6 this season they would command more than that reported amount. 

I would be upset to see him go as been good for us, but I'd be more upset of O'Hara or Strain were to go for that kind of money. 

It could also be that this is a fee that was agreed when he signed for us as some sort of release clause?! 

I would hope for some major add-on's in this whole situation. 

If we announce Baccus going officially I hope we quickly announce others after it to try get fans not to melt down. 

Whilst Baccus was a pretty good find, was he the player we thought we had on our hands after his first 5-10 appearances.

He was good. Is he irreplacable? No. I'd expect the manager has a similar type of player already lined up and we move on.

If Baccus goes then the absolute best of luck to him and tha ks for everything.

Things move on.

As for £275k, he's entering the final year of his contract and, to be perfectly honest, he hasn't emerged as the player we thought we had initially. If we can edge anywhere close to £500k all in then that;s decent business.

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How would anyone outside the inner circle of the club know what an "undisclosed" fee equated to !!!

Exactly. And why would be accept a low ball bid so early in the transfer window when there is time ahead  ?

Seems then that the 800k we got for Ian F in 1988 will always be our best sale. We will simply never have a position of strength as we are essentially a wee diddy team. I mean don’t go off at me here it’s what we are we are a wee team that’ll do well to find a good player get him to sign for 2 years and after he’s done well he will go for peanuts. Let’s be honest it’s peanuts we are dealing with here. Have you seen the money EFL clubs will get from sky ? 275k is a drop in the ocean and we will need to get used to losing our best players for very little. Mallan 200k , McLean 250k, Morgan 300k and now Keanu for 275k. It is what it is and we will always be a team that’ll sell on the cheap. We will should be delighted that our gaffer got is 6th as it’s possible that’ll be our highest league finish for another 40 years . 

St Mirren don’t hold the aces, Baccus and his agent do. Every time something like this happens, I post the same thing - I don’t know what the club are supposed to do if no-one values a player at a million quid. Hold a gun to Bolton’s head? Tell Baccus he’s going nowhere? I genuinely don’t know what the club can practically do to make any suitor pay a million. Maybe if Baccus had scored a winning goal against Argentina, came back and was earning rave reviews, we’d have seen multiple clubs of a bigger stature than Bolton battle it out for him - and paying more, but that didn’t happen. I simply refuse to beat the BoD over the head with a big stick over this.

If Baccus goes to Bolton, we need to hope he garners such praise that bigger English fish come-a-calling for him. As good as he was for us though, and I don’t mean this as a knock on him, I genuinely don’t think bigger English fish will come calling for him. Nor Erhahon.

If our business model is signing some unproven players, giving them a platform and punting for +£250k and add ons a year later, then I’m all for it.

Better that than improving other clubs players on loan.

If the 275k fee is accurate, the only way it makes any sense is if he has a release clause in his contract. Otherwise we should be holding out for much more. He may only have a year left on his contract but there's still more than two months of the window left. Plenty of time to hold out for more rather than take what appears to be one of the first offers that comes along.

Trying to be positive, at least it's early enough in the window for us to find a replacement and a few hundred grand for a guy we signed for nothing and most of us had never heard of 12 months ago looks good on paper.

Seems like it's a done deal but I don't think anyone knows what the deal actually is. One person said £275k and as usual everyone ran with that so I'd question it's accuracy. Also what the hell does "significant add-ons" mean? Could be anything.

There was a bit of drama bullshit in Bolton when some "ITK" idiot said he'd failed his medical. Turned out his train from Embra had been delayed and he'd not actually had the medical.

Whatever the deal is, I'll think you'll do OK out of it.

27 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

If our business model is signing some unproven players, giving them a platform and punting for +£250k and add ons a year later, then I’m all for it.

Better that than improving other clubs players on loan.

That is so true. We've done wonders for other clubs over the years and just last season the young goalie Trafford improved so much that City have extended his contract and RWB Bradley got recalled by Liverpool having cemented a place in the NI national team.

We picked up a CB from non-league and he's now our "undroppable" captain so there are players out there if the club is prepared to give them a chance and work on their development.

51 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I would be upset to see him go as been good for us, but I'd be more upset of O'Hara or Strain were to go for that kind of money. 

Agree. If you put aside the hype surrounding his appearances at the World Cup and just look at his club performances....

Certainly, SMFC POTY I would have been putting O'Hara, Strain, Main and possibly a couple of others ahead of him.

O'Hara would be a much bigger loss.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Scott Burns now reporting Baccus going to Bolton with significant add-ons and an undisclosed 6 figures.

This is why I wondered if Kyle T might sign for us.

Anyway, looks like it's a done deal... his replacement will be inbound within a week or 2.

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

What makes you think they'd go for much more? For 6 months or so we (well some of us) kidded ourselves that they'd go for substantially more with quotes like "I'd say if we pulled for example high six figures or low seven for Baccus, that would be realistic and a worthwhile exercise"  but I never expected that - we're a diddy club and unless something exceptional happens £275k is bang in the sorta range our players go for

Edited by btb

10 minutes ago, medals said:

This is why I wondered if Kyle T might sign for us.

Anyway, looks like it's a done deal... his replacement will be inbound within a week or 2.

I think he signed for Ross County yesterday….either that or it was a hell of a photoshop on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, weebud said:

I think he signed for Ross County yesterday….either that or it was a hell of a photoshop on Twitter.

Yes he did but last week there was mention of his name for us - as in previous seasons.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

And if we hold out for more money when the player wants to go then the whole business model fails. Word of that gets out to agents and the Strains and Baccuses of the future look elsewhere.

The fee is low. I thought it'd at least be the right side of 500k. I'm also sceptical of the add-ons thing, coming as it does on the day that our dreams of a final big cut of any any McGinn fee were ultimately killed off.

BUT bringing players in and turning a profit from them is our strategy. Some will go for more than others, some fees might seem high, some will seem low. But folk have to remember that it's this strategy that pays for the bigger wages for better players that get us to the top six.

This is the first time I can ever remember that we've brought a player in and flipped him on within a year for a significant profit. My point is that we'll be seeing a lot of this over the coming seasons and we can't get hung up over individuals.