The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

30 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

No, not at all. @FTOF used to quote me laughing at a few of your posters claiming you'd get £3m+ for Bacchus after he played against Argentina or Accies.

I find it strange he's now saying he's never seen anybody say £3m.

It's almost like he genuinely believed it at the time.

Whilst my sentiment is the same as yours I can’t remember anyone generally calling out £3 million as the price. 

41 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

No, not at all. @FTOF used to quote me laughing at a few of your posters claiming you'd get £3m+ for Bacchus after he played against Argentina or Accies.

I find it strange he's now saying he's never seen anybody say £3m.

It's almost like he genuinely believed it at the time.

There is zero chance that @FTOF would ever have claimed that Baccus was worth £3m

£300k maybe 

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Most were saying between £1.2m - £2m (which was still wild). It was actually £4m which was posted by more than one poster. I actually got the figure wrong.

Truly heady days.

So refresh my memory of the meaning of the word 'continually'...

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

So refresh my memory of the meaning of the word 'continually'...

Oh, oh, let me try..

"The poster is continually moving the goalposts on their initial claim."

How did I do?

10 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Most were saying between £1.2m - £2m (which was still wild). It was actually £4m which was posted by more than one poster. I actually got the figure wrong.

Truly heady days.

I guess all you'd need to do to back up this claim would be to link to the posts in question?

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Why would I do the work?

The posters were Chapsticks and NorthBank.

I said that?

Wait is this one of those 'X amount for player, double it if it's Rangers or Celtic' type things that I do?

If so, you're no fucking claiming that you mentalist.

On 27/11/2022 at 13:54, djchapsticks said:

I'd say if we pulled for example high six figures or low seven for Baccus, that would be realistic and a worthwhile exercise.

On 01/12/2022 at 12:38, djchapsticks said:

We need to know the market that we operate in and the transfer fees that we can realistically demand but any club in the English championship shelling out £1m for him would be getting him at a total steal. He's tailor made for that style of football.

In an ideal world we'd be asking a lot more for him but realistically, I'm not sure we could as other sides know a million quid to sides in Scotland outside the 5 biggest clubs is always going to be taken very seriously.

If it was a million or thereabouts, I'd be hoping we'd make sure there's at least a 25% sell on in there as well. The boy has far too much upside for that not to be a must.

On 07/12/2022 at 12:33, djchapsticks said:

In terms of bargaining position for a guy who, let's be honest, as soon as we saw him playing we all knew early doors wasn't going to be with us long-term, the World Cup really couldn't have gone better for us.

He could have went off with the Aussies, got 2 mins here or there and we'd have been getting the same talented player back and possibly some of the interest that comes with it (as bear in mind he still had his fanciers before the WC) and we'd have been weighing up that same old question we always ask: 'Is he worth losing for half a million quid, he only has a year left' etc. But the key difference here is that he put himself in front of a worldwide audience as a rookie against some of the best teams in the world and didn't look out of place whatsoever... those clubs who were interested before would have been willing to pay about a quarter of what we can feasibly ask for him now. We're now potentially able to ask for genuine 'can't knock that back' cash.

I'd love to keep him for the full two years, he's that good and that important to us, but sometimes if the money and interest is there then you really do need to strike when the iron is hot and our strategy in terms of budget more or less banked on something like this happening (though I'm sure not nearly as successfully).

On 07/12/2022 at 12:34, djchapsticks said:

But Rangers and Celtic can f**k off. £4m if it's either of those c***s.

@Derry Alli

Don't sweat it mate. I'll just accept your apology in public in front of everycunt and we can forget this happened, cool? X

Just now, Derry Alli said:

Why would I apologise? :lol:

Have you had a madwan, mate?

Because I've clearly said 'high six figures, low seven' which was in line with what most Saints fans on here were saying.

That you have taken a 'The Old Firm can f**k off' post as an honest £4m appraisal and came on here trying to wave your willy about makes you look pretty daft.

Derry Alli's triumphant return to the St Mirren thread since he went into hiding following two consecutive seasons of incorrectly tipping us for the drops and also insisting we would never make top six this season not going very well then?

Poor wee guy.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Because I've clearly said 'high six figures, low seven' which was in line with what most Saints fans on here were saying.

That you have taken a 'The Old Firm can f**k off' post as an honest £4m appraisal and came on here trying to wave your willy about makes you look pretty daft.

In fairness I can understand why he is so passionate about this after you said his big team should be treated differently.

"So ah says they all said Keanu Baccus was worth four million pounds and they said prove it and I said naw you prove it and then they did prove it but that disnae matter cuz ah had them all on strings all afternoon and aye that was mah best ever Sunday. Thank you."

milk-edinburgh-clubbers-meme.jpg