The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I actually think the Digby Brown logo looks better on the new shirt, as it breaks three vertical black stripes. The last shirt broke two, if anything, creating a big visual white ‘St George’s Cross’ effect in the middle if you look at it for any length of time. My comment would be that on last year’s shirt, the logo was higher up, just under the club crest. That looks better than how lower it is on the new one. Just my observation and personal opinion. Both shirts here look good Smurrrnn shirts.

It’s a fitba’ tap’ though. So, aye, gie’s a signing etc.

Yeah, we've gone from a central white stripe to a central black one.

Comparing the two side by side, I'm coming round to your way of thinking to be fair.

Certainly nothing bad about the new one.

I wear a shirt to pretty much every game I go to and don't find that in the least bit strange.

Wearing it kicking about the streets or on holiday, yeah, that's hard drive checking material for anyone over the age of 21 IMO, but it's perfectly normal for fans of any age at all to wear one to a game.

That's a hill I'll happily die on.

Pros: more stripes, looks more like the 70s, no red trim on the colour and cuffs

Cons: don’t like the checks in the black stripes (at the moment, my mind could change), don’t like the logos down the sleeves

Overall, first impression is that it’s one of the best I’ve seen

I'm pretty sure the new home shirt will look really good in the promo stuff (which I assume will be released today if the team are going to be wearing the new kit tomorrow).

These random clandestine shots are never going to do it justice.

42 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Aye, but does it have breatheable micro-mesh moisture-wicking under-arm panels and clima-cool technology woven into the fabric?

Gie’s the lowdown Drooper. 😎

If you wear it to bed you'll wake up smelling like a burst stank!

17 minutes ago, Div said:

Wearing it kicking about the streets or on holiday, yeah, that's hard drive checking material for anyone over the age of 21 IMO,

I like to rock up at the airport when going on holiday in full kit: top, shorts and socks.

Wearing boots and shinguards is taking it too far IMO though 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

2 minutes ago, Div said:

I wear a shirt to pretty much every game I go to and don't find that in the least bit strange.

If you are attending a game, or in the pubs before and after, that's different to wearing it to B&Q or Tescos. You have a reason to wear it. As a fashion statement, and even as glorious as last season's away top is, I'm still of the mind it looks silly away from a sporting event. Again, a solitary shirt is far better than the full ensemble with socks, although I only ever see OF fans that go down that route.

btw, I hope you don't mind me lifting the image from here and putting it in the main strips thread, I really should have checked (chequed, :P) with you first.

Just now, Ric said:

btw, I hope you don't mind me lifting the image from here and putting it in the main strips thread, I really should have checked (chequed, :P) with you first.

Fine by me, I lifted it from B&W Army in the first place, no idea where it came from!

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

See this is where a pro-active social media team would recognise the supporters getting antsy with a lack of news then throws out some red meat for the twitter crowd. It could be something completely unrelated to strips or signings, but it would let steam off a little. Now, to be fair, it's not complete silence from them, but it's pretty much "by the numbers" stuff.

All of the things folk are moaning to be made public should absolutely not be made public knowledge. It's all business matters and should, quoite rightly, be kept behind closed doors.

58 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It is a DISGRACE that the club have not issued a full press release on where Trevor Carson is and detailed to the exact penny how much the offer from Bolton for Baccus was.

A DISGRACE.

Or it could just be things that are totallty normal in football occurring within the club.

Regardless, announce the 20 goal a season striker right now!

If there is an internal issue with Carson, I don't think it is good practice to say so in public and affect team morale.

With regards to Baccus, if we want to protect ourselves from future transfers in, we can't show our hand to how much we are currently bringing in on transfer fees. It would just make other clubs think, 'oh you have that amount just came in, well stop fucking around with lowball bids and give us some of what you just brought in from Baccus'.

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

All of the things folk are moaning to be made public should absolutely not be made public knowledge. It's all business matters and should, quoite rightly, be kept behind closed doors.

I'm not suggesting they offer up stuff not for public consumption, more running a diversionary tactic to stop people from discussing the not for public consumption stuff. As I say, ideally you want a nuanced approach then gently guides your support during times when "radio silence" is needed (such as in negotiations).

Edited by Ric

Can't imagine any social media role comes with the primary mandate to peruse forums, twitter or the like with the goal of finding all the nickerwetter stuff and proactively calm it down. Rumours need no evidence and are spread like wildfire. It'd be an exercise in futility.

According to the Bolton newspaper a rival bid from a championship side, rumoured to be Ipswich has came about just as Bolton were finalising the deal. Visa issues are to blame according to the article.

If we get more money from another club up a level then that would do nicely.

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Am I missing a joke here, or are you questioning the grammar?

7 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Can't imagine any social media role comes with the primary mandate to peruse forums, twitter or the like with the goal of finding all the nickerwetter stuff and proactively calm it down. Rumours need no evidence and are spread like wildfire. It'd be an exercise in futility.

Here's the thing, five or ten years ago you would have thought it fanciful to have a social media department at all. It is very much in the best interests of the club to keep fans happy, especially in close season as that means merchandise with new strips and season ticket sales. You would need to do a GAP analysis to see how impactful such a pro-active media team would cost compared to any RoI, but there is definitely a case to be made for it. Literally no different to a standard PR role really. It might sound like molly-coddling, but the simple fact is the Internet is probably one of the main drivers for supporters now, outside actual match days. 

I have been developing web stuff since the late 90s, I detest social media if I am honest, but nowadays it's not the electronic wild west it once was and is now a (very sanitised) corporate tool.

Not that I am proposing we either hire people for that role or change our current strategy, I'm just saying having someone who was that agile would help in situations like this.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Depends on whether you meant wearing a football shirt in one Tesco store or more than one.

If there is one very simple thing that my mind, for some reason, constantly has difficulty with, it's the possessive it. Normally I have rogue apostrophes all over the place.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

If there is one very simple thing that my mind, for some reason, constantly has difficulty with, it's the possessive it. Normally I have rogue apostrophes all over the place.

It's a pet peeve of many on this forum. Other examples are "Lidls", "Aldis", "Asdas" etc.

I'd have had you down as more of a "Waitroses" man.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'd have had you down as more of a "Waitroses" man.

Wait, what? I really need to re-evaluate how people see me in this forum if that's the vibes you get. I'd happily take a shit in their middle class bullshit doorway.

My pet peeve, in this context, is people using Legos, like a brand name. You can have several Lego bricks, but you can't have several Legos. I also get annoyed by people qualifying the word unique. If it's unique it doesn't need a qualifier, it shouldn't be "very unique".

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

Wait, what? I really need to re-evaluate how people see me in this forum if that's the vibes you get. I'd happily take a shit in their middle class bullshit doorway.

My pet peeve, in this context, is people using Legos, like a brand name. You can have several Lego bricks, but you can't have several Legos. I also get annoyed by people qualifying the word unique. If it's unique it doesn't need a qualifier, it shouldn't be "very unique".

Now that's a "very fact" mate - the very fact you know it is well smart.

Don't worry a number of us have been exposed by the grammar Police.

So what will the Fake Newsers cunjure up today?

Edited by medals