The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We only have 1 keeper, whos played 3 games above League One in his career, and 5 defenders, in our squad.

The 5 defenders contain 2 left backs who've barely played any games in 18 months, and a 36yo LCB whos legs seemed to completely go last season and who doesnt seen to even be appearing in pre-season training images.

You lot are absolutely miles away from having to worry about relegation when we're here.

To be fair we hear similar stories every summer from fans of teams like ours. You will know much more about St Johnstones squad than me, but I don’t think come the end of the season there will be much between the teams I mentioned on the previous post. One player can be the difference between a relegation battle and a top 6 finish, and there is still plenty of time for the squads to take shape. 

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair we hear similar stories every summer from fans of teams like ours. 

Im not even exaggerating, the only keeper we have is Ross Sinclair, whos only senior experience is half a season Montrose. His back up, who has 0 senior games, broke his leg last week.

Cammy MacPherson is currently both our oldest, most experienced, and best, CM.

Stevie May our only fit striker.

Edited by RandomGuy.

38 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I can’t claim to be an expert on their squad last year but from what I seen of them it looked like they had the quality in attacking areas but were liable to ship a goal at any moment due to a goalkeeper and defence that had no confidence in the abilities of each other. Alkmaar away was a horror show and it continued into the league, then I think they chopped and changed GKs with no success. Guys like Levitt and McGrath shouldn’t be in a team getting automatically relegated, but I do agree their defence wouldn’t have filled me with confidence either. That’s a very black and white way of looking at it but I’m sure even some Dundee Utd fans believe a better ‘keeper could have been the difference between 12th and staying in the league. 

Guys like Levitt and McGrath were part of their problem, neither did nearly enough defensively. 

Their 1st choice LB was great going forwards but regularly missing defensively too.

Ayina , Edwards and Mulgrew were a bombscare often.

Up front apart from Feltcher they didn't have much... 3 left wingers who were all meh.

Clark ok, but the were set up to attack and rubbish at defending. 

Confidence evaporated etc etc.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

We were actually poorer against teams from a lower level last pre season in the league cup games. 

I read absolutely nothing into pre season games other than they are preparation for proper competitive games.

Fair enough, just thought for what was pretty much a first team starting it was a really poor performance.

1 hour ago, Div said:

I only saw bits and pieces thanks to the abysmal stream but I did see the Morton keeper pull off three very good saves including a certain goal from O’Hara.

Olusanya also hit the bar when it was far easier to score.

I saw Morton hit the ball out of play under no pressure at all about a dozen times and come close with a free kick.

Didn’t see either goal as the stream was totally unwatchable last 20 minutes but seen them today.

Fair play on the win and all that but it was a fucking dreadful game of football and neither side were anything other than abject pish.

I thought it was a decent game tbh, an interesting enough battle in the middle, both sides just a bit toothless. You lot could've had at least 2 but our GK did absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Was he on left or right? If he was on left, Strain dealt easily with him.

If he was right then run amok is nonsense. Our LWB is a 17 year old winger who has never played there and defensively very naive. A good winger would have really hurt us down that flank but thankfully the guy playing on the right wasn't one.

Tbh I can't really remember, I think he was on the left for a while but drifted across once or twice. He seemed to be really pressuring the RWB and did force him just to hit into the stand a couple of times, and got us into crossing positions multiple times...  shame he can't cross for his life.

Thanks for the replies folks. Wish you all the absolute worst of luck for the season 🙂

1 hour ago, medals said:

Pre season a bit like last year so far.

We give the younger lads a chance of "1st team action".

We don't have the full squad in.

We lose to lower league opposition.

We fans need to get a grip of reality.

So, in the next 3 weeks we will sign 3 others at least. Fitness will be better and the new players will begin to gel.

Just hope we start the cup and league well, cause then we will kick on.

Think Hearts and the Fakes haven't made any signings yet and most teams are looking for more squad players than we are.

Keep the faith - 6th again....

Best post on here for a while. 

Totally spot on. We were piss poor last pre season until Baccus got his work permit and the team clicked. 

We are in need of a couple more players in key areas and I expect a player or two to go on loan. 

In Robbo we trust

I’ll start to worry if we’re scrapping about the bottom two places after the first Quarter of games.

We haven’t assembled a full squad as yet and we haven’t kicked a ball in a serious competitive game, so a bit of perspective required. 

The Carson dilemma needs dealt with pronto, one way or another. 
If the problem can’t be fixed, then shift him on and sign another keeper before the league starts.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not even exaggerating, the only keeper we have is Ross Sinclair, whos only senior experience is half a season Montrose. His back up, who has 0 senior games, broke his leg last week.

Cammy MacPherson is currently both our oldest, most experienced, and best, CM.

Stevie May our only fit striker.

Maybe you'll sign Carson? Dundee have signed a few keepers so he's not going there, Well, Hibs, Dons, Hearts, Livi, County all pretty much covered. If he's determined to leave St Mirren it's pretty much St Johnstone or Killie now, unless he drops to the championship or gets a gig in England.

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

Maybe you'll sign Carson? Dundee have signed a few keepers so he's not going there, Well, Hibs, Dons, Hearts, Livi, County all pretty much covered. If he's determined to leave St Mirren it's pretty much St Johnstone or Killie now, unless he drops to the championship or gets a gig in England.

We wont spend a fee this Summer, and we wouldnt be offering him guaranteed first choice either (not saying Sinclair is better or Carson isnt good enough to have that when competing v Sinclair, just that Sinclair has been promised he'd get a chance publicly so MacLean needs to back that up after watching fans turn on the previous manager, who regularly lied to the support about his plans), so theres literally no reason for him to join us.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We wont spend a fee this Summer, and we wouldnt be offering him guaranteed first choice either (not saying Sinclair is better or Carson isnt good enough to have that when competing v Sinclair, just that Sinclair has been promised he'd get a chance publicly so MacLean needs to back that up after watching fans turn on the previous manager, who regularly lied to the support about his plans), so theres literally no reason for him to join us.

I'd say if we end up with a handshake agreement in place to get Hladky (admittedly a bit of a pipedream) but it was dependent on Carson moving on, we'd suddenly become a lot easier to deal with in terms of a fee.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say if we end up with a handshake agreement in place to get Hladky (admittedly a bit of a pipedream) but it was dependent on Carson moving on, we'd suddenly become a lot easier to deal with in terms of a fee.

Of course, if Hladky becomes available, which I'm pretty much certain he now will be, there will be a fair few clubs in League 2 and even League 1 interested so we'd find it hard to compete.

5 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Paul Dummett getting a new deal at Newcastle, always thought that Connor was the better player but last I saw he was at South Shields playing part time. 

I get the impression Newcastle have a soft spot for Dummy and he doesn’t want to leave as 4 1st team since  2021 suggest his playing days are done.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

We likely couldnt afford his wage either.

I don't think fans of other clubs understand how much money Callum Davidson wasted, and what effect thats had on our current budget.

We've still got some mammoth wages on our books too.

36 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Paul Dummett getting a new deal at Newcastle, always thought that Connor was the better player but last I saw he was at South Shields playing part time. 

Connor has quit football altogether & now owns a Gym .

8 minutes ago, callum-g said:

Connor has quit football altogether & now owns a Gym .

A good article about his reasoning, shame its the sun.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10378193/played-top-scots-club-quit-football-daughter/

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We likely couldnt afford his wage either.

I don't think fans of other clubs understand how much money Callum Davidson wasted, and what effect thats had on our current budget.

We've still got some mammoth wages on our books too.

You not have good reserves of funds? 2 cup wins, and sold a couple of players for big money.. 

You did keep Davidson(player) too long and others who would be bigger earners.

4 minutes ago, medals said:

You not have good reserves of funds? 2 cup wins, and sold a couple of players for big money.. 

You did keep Davidson(player) too long and others who would be bigger earners.

Over £3m in reserves at the last accounts, but last seasons isnt included in them.

I dont think Murray Davidsons wage was an issue.

Ali Crawford is apparently one of our highest earners and Nicky Clark, who still has 2 seasons on his deal left and seems crippled, is seemingly one of the highest earners the clubs ever had.