The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That would be ludicrous if we have reached a deal for Pressley and they then risk injury by playing him in a friendly before he joins us. If it is him that’s just disrespectful and the club would be within it’s rights to be pissed off.

The way I look at it, if it was Pressley, he's within his rights to head out to the States to get pre season in amd Brentford are withing their rights to do so until the deal is over the line.

The alternative is that he's left in London himself as all other Brentford senior and U23 players appear to be out there and his pre season is hindered badly if any deal develops a hitch due to being on a separate training schedule.

I don't see an issue. Brophy and Henderson were in a similar situation with us only a few weeks ago and flew home from NI.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson says a lot of things that don't quite pan out that way.

We certainly would not have wing backs on trial if there was no budget or opportunity to sign one.

There's a interview with Robinson in today's PDE.

Direct quote from the article:

I know I need another left back in. I need someone to push Scott Tanser. I have to wheel and deal before I do that.

Couple of interesting snippets in the paper today from Robinson:

“Him (Mandron) and Toyosi Olusanya had a decent partnership up there. There’s a lot of competition for places up at that end, depending on whether we play a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2.”

And the one from @FTOF above in the same article re left wing back and wheeling and dealing 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

And the one from @FTOF above in the same article re left wing back and wheeling and dealing 

Wheeling and dealing is a managers job. Squad is constantly being built/rebuilt during 2 windows. That means a great many investigations and chats throughout the year.

So some of it is getting players out on loan. I expect 3 younger guys out to get them playing more regularly.

Carson is currently an unexpected burden, but could still end up ok.

SR also wants Toyosi to be a success as he brought him here.

Anyway, if Kiltie is out, is Baccus or Conor fit again for tonight?

Don't think we will see Baccus for another couple of weeks.

Hopefully Conor will be able to get some time on the pitch, even if it's from the bench.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

If Kiltie is out tonight it might be an opportunity to start Fraser Taylor.

1st choice midfield more likely to be CBM, Goga and O'Hara. Yet giving younger lads playing time is wise once the game is won.

Game like this it would be better to play 3 attackers surely?

Thought the latest BBC Scotland podcast with @Div on it was great. The Mark O'Hara for Scotland shout from Liam was great comedy.

However, thought our glorious leader stopped a bit short when asked on his initial thoughts on the Robbo appointment last year.... I seem to remember he was leading the slaughtering of the man and proclaiming we were heading straight down to the Championship under Stubbs v2.0!! 😄

2 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

We should be playing a 4-3-3 tonight with Mika, Stav and Olusanya or McMenamin starting.

This was my thinking too.

And if not Conor, perhaps Jamieson

Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

We should be playing a 4-3-3 tonight with Mika, Stav and Olusanya or McMenamin starting.

Likely Olusanya as McMenamin only returned to training yesterday so would be surprised if he's fit to start.

16 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I wondered if Scott Tanser would be taking over the mantle of boo boys target. 

I think we can safely say Zach Hemming will probably take up that role.

26 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I wondered if Scott Tanser would be taking over the mantle of boo boys target. 

Overall Tanser is not bad at our level.

Generally safe and does the boring stuff well. He's also got a good engine and although he picks up some knocks, he's not as injury prone as some fans make out. I don't think he's suspended that often either.

Yet, you'd expect him to deliver more assists. Like too many players these days he plays far too many safe back or sidways passes.

Yeah we'd all like the new Roberto Carlos playing for us, but guys like Marshall are worse.

Why not appreciate those that are given the Jersey by our manager who most trust in, for what they do contribute and hope he brings in better guys in general to kick us onwards?