The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Probably watching through his fingers. Hibs going forward look improved on last term. 

This team that they are playing are utterly shite at the back. 

Hibs also look very shaky defensively.

Edited by djchapsticks

As any sort of guide as to how Sunday might go, this game is completely irrelevant. As was us putting four past Arbroath and Forfar. Don’t think Robbo’ will be shitting his pants because Hibs hit six past Andorran jobbers, any more than Johnson will think St Mirren are a free flowing goal machine because of the LC group.

Yeah Hibs have looked decent going forward but the opposition have been wide open.

Boyle, Youan and Campbell are all very decent and will cause us problems.

I’ve been encouraged by their inability to defend routine crosses into the box though and if the young goalkeeper has to play then that’s a potential weakness too.

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Probably watching through his fingers. Hibs going forward look improved on last term. 

I don't think you and I have been watching the same game. St Mirren ladies XI would beat these Andorrans, and Hibs defence looks like they've been picked out of a pub team.

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think you and I have been watching the same game. St Mirren ladies XI would beat these Andorrans, and Hibs defence looks like they've been picked out of a pub team.

The guy Fish on loan from Man Utd is ineligible this evening. He'll improve the defence.

26 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah Hibs have looked decent going forward but the opposition have been wide open.

Boyle, Youan and Campbell are all very decent and will cause us problems.

I’ve been encouraged by their inability to defend routine crosses into the box though and if the young goalkeeper has to play then that’s a potential weakness too.

I think whilst we have reason for optimism the defence worries me. I don’t think Gogic is best at centre half , Taylor seems a good footballer but he’s going to need to improve his marking ten fold. The lad Bolton I’ve heard might be injured and we know Charles is decent but is he fit. Personally I’ll say I’d have felt much happier going to Easter road with Joe and Dec in our squad. I’ll get the usual ah Joe was a bombsxare and Dec was done. I’d disagree with both. Both organised and Joe led by example. Throw in the loss of the leagues top goalie last year and it will be a hard game for sure. Let’s hope the team can put on a performance and I’m hoping maybe one or two arrive to help before too long

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The guy Fish on loan from Man Utd is ineligible this evening. He'll improve the defence.

He played 90 mins tonight, would be a shame if he was ineligible.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

I think whilst we have reason for optimism the defence worries me. I don’t think Gogic is best at centre half , Taylor seems a good footballer but he’s going to need to improve his marking ten fold. The lad Bolton I’ve heard might be injured and we know Charles is decent but is he fit. Personally I’ll say I’d have felt much happier going to Easter road with Joe and Dec in our squad. I’ll get the usual ah Joe was a bombsxare and Dec was done. I’d disagree with both. Both organised and Joe led by example. Throw in the loss of the leagues top goalie last year and it will be a hard game for sure. Let’s hope the team can put on a performance and I’m hoping maybe one or two arrive to help before too 

You can disagree about Joe and Dec, but I think the majority think differently- including our management. 

Carson was NOT the leagues top goalie either.

Edited by medals

I think whilst we have reason for optimism the defence worries me. I don’t think Gogic is best at centre half , Taylor seems a good footballer but he’s going to need to improve his marking ten fold. The lad Bolton I’ve heard might be injured and we know Charles is decent but is he fit. Personally I’ll say I’d have felt much happier going to Easter road with Joe and Dec in our squad. I’ll get the usual ah Joe was a bombsxare and Dec was done. I’d disagree with both. Both organised and Joe led by example. Throw in the loss of the leagues top goalie last year and it will be a hard game for sure. Let’s hope the team can put on a performance and I’m hoping maybe one or two arrive to help before too long

Bolton would never have started on Sunday and there’s no chance Dunne will either.

We will go with Fraser, Gogic and Taylor with Kenny providing cover on the bench IMO.

Strain and Tanser in their usual slots, although Boyle against Scotty does terrify me a wee bit.

Baccus, O’Hara and either CBM or Kiltie will sit in the middle behind a front two of Mandron and Toyosi.

We will cause Hibs problems, but we need to find a way to stop Boyle.

I can just feel the positivity seeping out of your every pore…..out of curiosity what are your feelings on this year’s, not off the rack Adidas kits?. 

There is a wee bit of you that wants to sample the brighter side of  life, just let it breathe Buddie.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

The fact that the Andorrans put 3 past Hibs over the 2 games is the relevant part……

😆

Without being too pessimistic, my concern is our away form. However, I would point out that Montrose have an artificial surface and Cowdenbeath's was apparently not the best. 

I would happily take a point from this one. Then we have three home games to build some momentum. 

Don't really get what Robinson was up to with the "star striker". It's panned out badly, dragged on after an initial comment, nothing from the club then a rebuke that somehow it had turned into a frenzy of names, only for it to fall flat. Just seems like the managerial equivalent of standing on a rake. Robinson has built up a lot of support, so things like this won't affect his popularity, and most would accept the fickle nature of the transfer market, but it all seems so unnecessary.

Said it in the match thread, no idea how to call this, Hibs will be delighted with the win, and progression but anyone watching just 10 minutes of that (which is all I did) could see that the Hibs defence is vulnerable.

We won't know for a few weeks just how this new Robinson side will come together, whether it's the same strategy/formation as last season, or will he shake it up, either way my opinion now is the same as it is for every season, let's hope for a consistent and steady start. I still remember the utter shock of the start of the 99/00 season where Raith took 6 off us. Not sure if the stattos want to comment, but is that the worst opening day result we've had? Got to be up there. So, yeah, a consistent start please, no repeats of 99/00 thanks.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Don't really get what Robinson was up to with the "star striker". It's panned out badly, dragged on after an initial comment, nothing from the club then a rebuke that somehow it had turned into a frenzy of names, only for it to fall flat. Just seems like the managerial equivalent of standing on a rake. Robinson has built up a lot of support, so things like this won't affect his popularity, and most would accept the fickle nature of the transfer market, but it all seems so unnecessary.

Said it in the match thread, no idea how to call this, Hibs will be delighted with the win, and progression but anyone watching just 10 minutes of that (which is all I did) could see that the Hibs defence is vulnerable.

We won't know for a few weeks just how this new Robinson side will come together, whether it's the same strategy/formation as last season, or will he shake it up, either way my opinion now is the same as it is for every season, let's hope for a consistent and steady start. I still remember the utter shock of the start of the 99/00 season where Raith took 6 off us. Not sure if the stattos want to comment, but is that the worst opening day result we've had? Got to be up there. So, yeah, a consistent start please, no repeats of 99/00 thanks.

you’re conflating two games years apart! 😜

You’re thinking of the opening day of season 92/93 when we lost 7-0 at Raith. They then went on to win the league. 

We drew 1-1 at home to Ayr on opening day of 99/00 and then beat  Raith 6-0 away. We won the league that season.

Hibs are a far bigger club than us with a budget to match. As such they are justified favourites on Sunday.

I absolutely do not fear them though.

We will cause that defence plenty of problems and if we can find a way to stop Boyle then there’s no reason why we can’t take something from the game.

Very much looking forward to a day out in the Capital 🏁🎉🍺