The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

47 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

f**k.

SR needs to get the RWB position sorted ASAP then, and stop dicking about with McMenamin there - he's simply not a defender.

I'd even be happy with Fraser at RWB and Bolton coming in to the back 3 over McMenamin dropping in at RWB.

Failing that, Flynn is an adequate defender when needed.

Not sure how much Small has played on the right hand side, but could be another shot.

The injury to Strain is a kick in the balls, as so much of what he does is why we've done so well.

Been saying this for a while. Get Fraser to fullback and bring in Bolton. 

Strain out is a massive blow but on the flip side dangle the new contract under his nose to see if he is interested. 

Playing McMenamin at RWB is a massive mistake. Flynn is a bit part player without any pace so he is not the answer either. Unless Small can play RWB it has to be Fraser. 

30 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

The timing of Strain’s injury could not have been worse.  There was an outside chance we would sell him during the January window, now he’ll go for nothing in the summer. Bummer. 

Is it? He's now here till the summer at least, and this new injury on top of his inability to last beyond 60 mins without blowing out his chuff may well further deter any suitors he may have, of which I'm not actually convinced there is a large queue anyway. Baccus, on the other hand, won't be short of offers.

Strain is great fit for us and he is shining in our team, I can't help feel any step upwards would result in him getting much less game time, much like in Israel.

I could be wrong, but I see Strain penning a new deal with us, with this injury maybe making his mind up.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Has Bolton not spent most of his playing career at right back ?

Fraser is most definitely not the player you want in there to replace Strain.

200 games at right back according to Transfermarkt.

28 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

Taylor hopefully back for Sunday according to Robbo, I cant take anymore of the Charles Dunne Howitzer

Yup that really annoyed me during the RC game the amount of times we lost possession due to him thinking he’s Glenn Hoddle.

On a similar note, can someone PKEASE tell Gogic that he doesn’t possess a long throw 👍

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

59 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

100% agree. What was the point of signing him otherwise. 
Also it would mean not taking Fraser away from RCB where he’s performed really well this season. 

Not sure Bolton has shown he has the energy and stamina to fill in at RWB and the manager manifestly favours 3 at the back with wingbacks supplying crosses. 

McMenemin at RWB is probably the only option we can use if he is getting a game. 

41 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Not sure Bolton has shown he has the energy and stamina to fill in at RWB and the manager manifestly favours 3 at the back with wingbacks supplying crosses. 

McMenemin at RWB is probably the only option we can use if he is getting a game. 

Why? McMenamin still got a game when Strain was playing RWB. 
Not sure Bolton has shown anything as he’s barely had a kick of the baw. Not sure how you can have reached that conclusion based on his very limited time on the park.

You might be right. In fact he might be utter shite, but we won’t know until he’s had some decent game time. 

A real shame for Strain, hopefully he recovers well. On his game he's such an important player for us.

I think McMenamin has done well at right wing back, but I also think he's wasted there. We need him further up the pitch. 

My preference would be to play Small for the time being. I really know nothing about Bolton, I think he fact he's hardly featured is quite telling. Maybe there's a fitness issue, maybe historic injuries mean that he's just not at the level of other players. Robinson works with all these guys every day, so you'd imagine that he knows who's best in each role.

Anyone know how Luke Kenny has been getting on? I liked the look of him in preseason.

Like most teams throughout the season, we need a tweak regarding the personnel IMO.

Our hand has been forced regarding Strain.

I don't get the impression that Bolton is a marauding wing back type player. More of a straightforward "stopper" IMO.

The only player we have who might give us a threat similar to Strain, albeit on his "wrong" foot, is the aforementioned Small, who seems to have a bit of pace and directness when going forward.

There are other issues, in particular O'Hara's meh performances so far. no idea how to address that one.

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Why? McMenamin still got a game when Strain was playing RWB. 
Not sure Bolton has shown anything as he’s barely had a kick of the baw. Not sure how you can have reached that conclusion based on his very limited time on the park.

You might be right. In fact he might be utter shite, but we won’t know until he’s had some decent game time. 

There’s the issue right there. As you say , how can we tell (or the manager In a Matchday scenario ) just what he’s like in the team.  I believe all of his appearances have been bit part , 10 mins or so here or there often having to come on as part of a reshuffle or such like.  I think he needs some starts to see how he performs, if we’re not going to play him, why sign him ?

Robbo was singing his praises when he signed, knew him from his time down south and stressed the fact that he is versatile , can play CH or RB .  

Edited by callum-g

15 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’m sure Bolton is not a Tanser or Strain replacement but if he gets the ball, pass to Connor to whip it in the middle, job done.