The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

It’s clear that if Van Veen is fit he will be a real help to Kilmarnock. It kind of frustrates me that Kilmarnock appear to be set for top 6 despite having had a major rebuild in summer following then surviving last season. Mcinnes talks about them being top six acting like a top six club and we need to match this. We seem to be hopeful more than anything and if I’m honest we look like a team that is as good as Killie but I am not convinced we have the goals in us. 

4 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

It’s clear that if Van Veen is fit he will be a real help to Kilmarnock. It kind of frustrates me that Kilmarnock appear to be set for top 6 despite having had a major rebuild in summer following then surviving last season. Mcinnes talks about them being top six acting like a top six club and we need to match this. We seem to be hopeful more than anything and if I’m honest we look like a team that is as good as Killie but I am not convinced we have the goals in us. 

That is our problem. We simply don't score enough. We have lots of strikers who couldn't hit a barn door etc. 

Just now, AW saint said:

That is our problem. We simply don't score enough. We have lots of strikers who couldn't hit a barn door etc. 

We simply don't create much for our strikers either. be nice if our midfield chipped in with the occasional goal too.

No fussed on missing out on KVV. Too many uncertainties for me.

I think Mellon at Dundee will prove to be a far better signing.

Maybe we'll pull one out of the bag before the window closes.

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We simply don't create much for our strikers either. be nice if our midfield chipped in with the occasional goal too.

No fussed on missing out on KVV. Too many uncertainties for me.

I think Mellon at Dundee will prove to be a far better signing.

Maybe we'll pull one out of the bag before the window closes.

I think we will stick with what we have. Lets see how the season plays out now

Can’t help thinking had we got Van Veen on loan he would have joined a long list of strikers, who failed to reach the heights of scoring records at previous clubs.

The system Robbo plays is not really suited to scoring a lot of goals unless Strain & Tanser are bang on it. 
Van Veen might have made a difference but we move on and see where we go with what we have.

Not really bothered about Van Veen he would have joined the very long list of expensive forwards who turned into duds once they put on the stripes. We have a big problem scoring goals we have plenty of forwards who are hard working but don't really look they are going to be the answer. For starters they are rarely in the box when crosses come in.

Not gonna lie, I don’t get the relative positivity about our window.

I think at best it’s been meh and at worst it’s been shite.

Scott might be ok (still unconvinced though) but I don’t think we’ve improved anything and I really think we needed to improve. 

It’s a wee bit soul destroying how clubs that I would regard as being no bigger than us, always seem to be able to pull really good signings out of the bag. We always come across as low rent. 

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not gonna lie, I don’t get the relative positivity about our window.

I think at best it’s been meh and at worst it’s been shite.

Scott might be ok (still unconvinced though) but I don’t think we’ve improved anything and I really think we needed to improve. 

It’s a wee bit soul destroying how clubs that I would regard as being no bigger than us, always seem to be able to pull really good signings out of the bag. We always come across as low rent. 

These other clubs live outwith their budget. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

We always come across as low rent. 

So Killie have Armstrong, Kennedy, KVV, Greg Stewart, GMS, Vassell, Watkins and Innes Cameron as strikers.

What kind of wage budget have they got, cause we are not in "that league".

I'm not saying they are great players but I'd expect they are pretty much on big wages.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

So Killie have Armstrong, Kennedy, KVV, Greg Stewart, GMS, Vassell, Watkins and Innes Cameron as strikers.

What kind of wage budget have they got, cause we are not in "that league".

I'm not saying they are great players but I'd expect they are pretty much on big wages.

Don’t worry apparently they have a £2k maximum wage cap 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

To be honest, its all relative.  Missing out on a striker, with the only possible consequence being finishing outwith the top 6 or not qualifying for europe, when 9 years ago we lost our best player and replaced him with Yoann feckin Arquin to ensure our relegation was a formality. 

Killie will just feck up Europe anyway and lose to some part time Welsh mob again anyway. Give me Albion Rovers away in the League Cup groups any day of the week.

January windows, as a rule, are a bit shite.

The two that stick in my mind are Dundee United breaking the bank to stay up at our expense, and us punting Kenny McLean to go down (at our own expense....Gentlemen's Agreementgate).

I appreciate there are many others of different flavours, but those two are the most memorable for me on many respects.

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

These other clubs live outwith their budget. 

I know that’s true, but it doesn’t seem to do them much harm. Do you expect Killie to go bust next season because the overstretched their budget in an attempt to be ambitious. 
We’re like the boring sensible person that never takes any risks and as a result never is in any danger and never achieves anything of any note. 

2 minutes ago, Drooper said:

January windows, as a rule, are a bit shite.

The two that stick in my mind are Dundee United breaking the bank to stay up at our expense, and us punting Kenny McLean to go down (at our own expense....Gentlemen's Agreementgate).

I appreciate there are many others of different flavours, but those two are the most memorable for me on many respects.

There was the mad Jack Ross one to keep us up. Total squad reshuffle. 

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know that’s true, but it doesn’t seem to do them much harm. Do you expect Killie to go bust next season because the overstretched their budget in an attempt to be ambitious. 
We’re like the boring sensible person that never takes any risks and as a result never is in any danger and never achieves anything of any note. 

History teaches us lessons and only fools make the same errors again. Being ambitious and overstretching ourselves is the strategy that took us to the brink of a Reg Brearley takeover. Without the intervention of SG and his backers our club would have gone to the wall years ago.

Boring and sensible. That's fine by me.