The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

43 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Each player you mentioned I could at least see a player. Scott on the other hand I struggle to see him making it. Bookmark this and show me if I turn out to be wrong. I hope I am and you are free to gloat. 

I don't know who wrote Taylor off???

As for Mandron I like him but boy do I wish he could win a ball in the air. 

Behave, nobody could see a player in Olusanya. He was getting let go until he showed up on training in the summer.

16 minutes ago, Torfason said:

The lad is only 23 and already has a £1.5M move in his career. He has struggled with injuries and lost confidence but to say the boy is not a player is ridiculous. 

I remember he absolutely ripped us apart playing for Motherwell a few years ago. No idea whats happened but he looks a shadow of that player.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Behave, nobody could see a player in Olusanya. He was getting let go until he showed up on training in the summer.

Give you that one lol

I was at the pint and 2 shots podcast recording tonight (Grado/chris Toal/ shell suit bobs show). They had Lawrence Shankland as there guest. Said gogic is toughest defender to play against! 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I remember he absolutely ripped us apart playing for Motherwell a few years ago. No idea whats happened but he looks a shadow of that player.

I honestly think the lads confidence is shot to pieces but I genuinely believe with a good preseason and our Management's support, he will get back to his Motherwell days.

Shankland is a great example of a player who lost his way but never lost his talent.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t write anyone off but next season we will need a lot more from Lewis Jamieson if he’s to make it with us. I don’t think at present he’s anywhere near the level of a premiership team but maybe he can prove us wrong . With James Scott it’ll be hard with little game  time to get any confidence and momentum but id agree that at present he will need to do better also.

maybe a good pre season and some games will help him. 

I couldn’t see Toyosi becoming a key man a year ago and perhaps these guys can too but it’ll need to improve considerably. 

Edited by Norrie82

8 hours ago, Hendo said:

TBF he was up against Calum Waters when he scored the 2 goals and his hat trick against the St Johnstone wasn't exactly spectacular. 13 goals in 6 and 1/2 years doesn't inspire confidence but he has signed so hopefully SR can work his magic.

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

I honestly think the lads confidence is shot to pieces but I genuinely believe with a good preseason and our Management's support, he will get back to his Motherwell days.

Shankland is a great example of a player who lost his way but never lost his talent.

I felt terrible for Scott yesterday, the abuse the guy was getting from the west stand in particular was horrid.  I’ve never understood what folk get out of abusing our own players when you can vent at the 11 opposition players on the pitch

On 04/05/2024 at 22:53, djchapsticks said:

Taylor for me will definitely be in and around matchday squads next season on the regular. Sutherland too if we mange to keep hold.

Kieran can't seem to get too much of a run and is still only 19. Perhaps another loan next season.

Sutherland did really well for us. Clearly not been a LB previously and his defending could be erratic (hopefully he's made some progress there) but so dangerous when going forward. He totally bought into it too, as did the other loans, and they all emptied themselves yesterday and looked gutted at the end. Wish him all the best and will be following his progress. 

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

I felt terrible for Scott yesterday, the abuse the guy was getting from the west stand in particular was horrid.  I’ve never understood what folk get out of abusing our own players when you can vent at the 11 opposition players on the pitch

Never heard abuse towards anyone from W3, just lots of general groaning when the tenth over-hit cross of the day, the twentieth mis-placed pass happened, or when the plan to allow Hemming to take free kicks from pretty much anywhere in his own half saw them land in Bridge of Weir, or he fell over, leaving his goal unguarded. There were also some groans when Gogic made two schoolboy errors that could easily have cost us goals. No individual was being singled out from where I was sitting. It was just general reaction to the disjointed display we were witnessing. Just a horrible day really. 

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

He didn't even do anything particularly wrong. He had one bad touch which saw him dispossessed and it was like he'd sacrificed a first born in the centre circle. There is a certain group of fans who can't accept we are doing well so they wait for a loss and unload all their shit opinions about players they don't like, regardless of what actually happened.

The name Robert Bilsland came on on the screen as 1 of the buds who had sadly passed away this season.

Would this have been 1 of the Bilsland family who owned the Tudor Arms many years ago  ?

3 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

The name Robert Bilsland came on on the screen as 1 of the buds who had sadly passed away this season.

Would this have been 1 of the Bilsland family who owned the Tudor Arms many years ago  ?

I think that family were called Bisland not Bilsland.

23 minutes ago, GAD said:

He didn't even do anything particularly wrong. He had one bad touch which saw him dispossessed and it was like he'd sacrificed a first born in the centre circle. There is a certain group of fans who can't accept we are doing well so they wait for a loss and unload all their shit opinions about players they don't like, regardless of what actually happened.

Scott didn't actually do anything wrong at all.

Jamieson had an awful showing but he was badly hung out to dry being put in at RWB. Was Jaden Brown not available? 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Jamieson had an awful showing but he was badly hung out to dry being put in at RWB. Was Jaden Brown not available? 

The subs in general felt odd at the time (albeit Sportscene mentioned Strain had a virus, so maybe something that affected Tanser too) - I got the need to become more adventurous, but it was square pegs in round holes, particularly with Brown and Bwumono both on the bench.

I’ve no doubt Robbo is always open to signing a ‘natural finisher’, if it is within his budget, and his post match comments about a lack of experience, when our problem was not converting one of the chances we created, makes me think that will be a priority this summer. Clearly, LJ has yet to convince and Scott has to prove he can recapture his best form. I’m wondering if Bruce Anderson will be back in his thoughts, if he hasn’t signed for another premier side yet. 

5 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I’ve no doubt Robbo is always open to signing a ‘natural finisher’, if it is within his budget, and his post match comments about a lack of experience, when our problem was not converting one of the chances we created, makes me think that will be a priority this summer. Clearly, LJ has yet to convince and Scott has to prove he can recapture his best form. I’m wondering if Bruce Anderson will be back in his thoughts, if he hasn’t signed for another premier side yet. 

Dundee or Killie bound apparently.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think he just wanted a more attacking threat and Jamieson is usually a slightly better crosser of the ball. I actually thought, whilst they were strange at the time, the period just after the changes was our best of the game and the closest we came to scoring.