The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Not many players win the Premiership player of the month while at St Mirren. Strain did, in August 2023. The award was right too, he was the best player in the league in that month.
He was at the heartbeat of us starting last season like a freight train. He was scoring goals, setting them up and defending superbly. Come October we were unbeaten and sitting 3rd going into a home game against Rangers. 
Our season turned on him handling the ball in that game and getting sent off. We got humped 3-0, he got suspended and then injured on international duty shortly after. We ended up playing the likes of Flynn, Fraser and Conor McMenamin *shudder* in his place.
Unsurprisingly, our form was that of a bottom six team between then and the end of the season, and this was rightly attributed to us missing Strain.  
He clearly wasn’t anywhere near back to fitness when he came back for the last few games either, that was obviously a bit of a gamble from both sides. Strain gambling that a few good performances would get him a decent deal in England and us gambling that he could recapture help us recapture our early season form. Neither worked out, we won one of our last nine games and Strain has ended up at another Scottish Club. Thanks to our form in August and September we managed to hold on and get 5th. 
But yeah, our two ‘ Aussie superstars’ leaving on free transfers to Mansfield Town and Dundee Utd wasn’t how that particular story was supposed to end. 
No matter, in Rooney we have a more than able replacement for Strain and Baccus was being kept out the team by CBM and O’Hara anyway, and we still have both of them. We move swiftly on and we will be fine.

9 hours ago, Munoz said:

Magic mushrooms?

No.

I was just adding another fanciful rumour.

In this day and age players are so closely monitored things like that don't happen.

I think as a fan base we're a bit pissed off that Strain has signed for a rival and we're softening the blow by highlighting his fitness issues, rather than the fact that, on his day, he's a great player to have in your team.:(

As others have mentioned, we can only hope that Rooney makes us forget about him.

Edited by FTOF

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The shop was closed for 'retraining' today so assuming they are restocking with new stuff and expect launch early next week. 

Does that mean we have a new sponsor in place, or are we leaving a blank space on the shirts? I’d be glad if we could afford to have a shirt without company logos ruining it, but the sponsor money does come in handy.

11 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Does that mean we have a new sponsor in place, or are we leaving a blank space on the shirts? I’d be glad if we could afford to have a shirt without company logos ruining it, but the sponsor money does come in handy.

The sponsor on the pictures of the tops that were leaked were Consilium Contracting Services. 

Supposedly the club did a raffle for the sponsorship this year.

30 minutes ago, Kempes said:

The shirt sponsor is Consilium and that's been set in stone for quite some time. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No they didn't. It was put out to tender.

I was only told they won the rights and put 2 and 2 together. 

Supposedly the owner is a big Saints fan and has previously put alot of cash into the club.

Shocked to find that wisbit can't count.

Apparently Oisin Smyth has played some games at Oxford on the right of a back three, FWIW.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Realistically what positions are we still looking to fill?

Team definitely needs goals, so a centre forward, left sided centre half?

Another centre mid possibly as well.

I also think we are a wee but vulnerable in goals - only 2 senior keepers, one on loan and the other with very little first team experience. However, Balcombe would expect to play so can we justify bringing in a 3rd keeper as back up? 

Edited by Hendo

Definitely need another quick forward and a left sided centre back. 
I’d hazard a guess Robbo will be looking for two players who can fill those positions, but are adaptable enough to cover other roles when required. 
We will no doubt be operating with a fairly small first team squad. It would be really good to see the lad Sutherland in and around the first team squad this season. Same with the other lads who were out on loan last season.

We need a penalty box striker. We have too many number 10's and no out and out number 9.

Would love to get Kwon back and we need a midfielder with an eye for goal. Think this is why we went for Spittal

We also need proper cover for Tanser if Sutherland moves on. 

I agree with giving Fraser Taylor a go this season.