The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I'm not minimising the challenge of distributing a small number of tickets among the fan base, but it does seem like they've given the job of sorting this to the YTS kid. 

I don't know why groups of people couldn't apply together, and I also don't know why we can't get an email to advise we're on the reserve list. If it is Iceland, I expect lots of tickets to be handed back either because it's too expensive or none of your pals are going.

Just read about the Valur vs Vllaznia game and watched the highlights.

Gylfi Sigurdsson be a b*****d if it’s Valur - some player in his day!

Some wild goings on in that game and  subsequent aftermath so your European adventure will be anything but dull it seems!

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Your narrative above covers you nicely for both potential eventualities. 👍

What happens if half the 76 (or whatever the number was) decide not to take up their ticket and then you and say 4 of your mates get a ticket. Will you go then? 

At this point,  hard to tell. It has become pretty mad that Iceland is now more of a headache than Albania. 

I can certainly see around 600-700 people travelling to Albania and a lot less than that to Iceland. Again, a small sample size, but I know 3 groups of 11, 11 and 13 who will head to Albania next Wednesday but not to Iceland

Under normal circumstances I'd have flown up to try and get a ticket but for me, woth very limited leave remaining, it's simple not a risk I can take as if I travelled to Iceland and didn't get it, I'd also be goosed for any potential 3rd QR  

At least getting to Vllaznia, I'll be content I've done an away trip with Saints and unless we draw a genuine, legit, cannot miss under any circumstances side in the 3QR, I'll have to reluctantly but contentedly give it a miss.

Given all the obstacles put in the way of the club for the first game, there were always going to be disgruntled individuals, as it's well nigh impossible to please everyone.

A lot of individuals aren't even, for one reason or another, in a position to be able to attend either venue and I'm sure they'd love to go. Therefore, those who can attend, should consider themselves fortunate to be in that position.

The only thing that I can see that club might have been able to do for the Iceland game is to have drawn another load of names out after the initial successful individuals were identified and created a reserve list, and notified the reserves. Even that comes with its problems.

Drawing the names randomly from season ticket holders seems the fairest option, which, unfortunately, means that groups of individuals are unlikely to get their wish to attend together for the Iceland game.

However, if the tickets are sorted early enough, in the event of the Albanian mob getting through, then I'm sure most people will get a ticket.

However, again there appear to be circumstances, out with the club's control, that are holding up the allocation for the match.

All that is even before you factor in convoluted travel and accommodation arrangements.

Edited by FTOF

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Given all the obstacles put in the way of the club for the first game, there were always going to be disgruntled individuals, as it's well nigh impossible to please everyone.

A lot of individuals aren't even, for one reason or another, in a position to be able to attend either venue and I'm sure they'd love to go. Therefore, those who can attend, should consider themselves fortunate to be in that position.

The only thing that I can see that club might have been able to do for the Iceland game is to have drawn another load of names out after the initial successful individuals were identified and created a reserve list, and notified the reserves. Even that comes with its problems.

Unfortunately, drawing the names randomly is the fairest option, which means that groups of individuals are unlikely to get their wish to attend together, for the Iceland game.

However, if the tickets are sorted early enough, in the event of the Albanian mob getting through, then I'm sure most people will get a ticket.

However, again there appear to be circumstances, out with the club's control, that are holding up the allocation for the match.

All that is even before you factor in convoluted travel and accommodation arrangements.

Indeed. If only we'd finished 4th last season, we'd have had weeks to plan a trip to Bruges.

10 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

Just read about the Valur vs Vllaznia game and watched the highlights.

Gylfi Sigurdsson be a b*****d if it’s Valur - some player in his day!

Some wild goings on in that game and  subsequent aftermath so your European adventure will be anything but dull it seems!

Enjoy!

I watched the first game and thought that Sigurdsson didn't look any much better than the players around him. He took all the set pieces, though he looked like a guy that had semi retired. 

The overall quality from both teams wasn't the best either. I said with all respect that both wouldn't look out of place at League 1 mid-championship Scotland level and even at that I have seen better standards.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

At this point,  hard to tell. It has become pretty mad that Iceland is now more of a headache than Albania. 

I can certainly see around 600-700 people travelling to Albania and a lot less than that to Iceland. Again, a small sample size, but I know 3 groups of 11, 11 and 13 who will head to Albania next Wednesday but not to Iceland

Under normal circumstances I'd have flown up to try and get a ticket but for me, woth very limited leave remaining, it's simple not a risk I can take as if I travelled to Iceland and didn't get it, I'd also be goosed for any potential 3rd QR  

At least getting to Vllaznia, I'll be content I've done an away trip with Saints and unless we draw a genuine, legit, cannot miss under any circumstances side in the 3QR, I'll have to reluctantly but contentedly give it a miss.

I'm on the same boat. I am the only one from my group that plan to travel, that was successful in the ballot for Valur, though I couldn't see me solely travelling and just meeting other supporters there. 

So far everyone in my group that plans to travel is in, if its Vllaznia (8 of us), so fingers crossed the second leg goes as we hope.

I'd also be sacrificing a possible bigger next round leg(if we get through), as I can only commit to one.

Edited by smellthepaw

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m sure Marcus will be a relieved man to see Lacovitti sign, as we now have two left footed centre backs. :P

So are the supporters.

Although I'd be even more relieved if we signed another RCB.

Can't really remember much about Iacovitti at County but seem to recall he scored pretty highly in fantasy football, so I guess that's something.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can't really remember much about Iacovitti at County but seem to recall he scored pretty highly in fantasy football, so I guess that's something.

I remember the last time he played for RC in Paisley he got a whole load of stick from sections of our support. 

A big, strong, no-nonsense defender that gets up the nose of opposition fans.

Just what we need.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

So long as he does it in the real world with us.

Hope the fee is well worth it.

This nearly balances out as 7 away and 6 in.

Greive/Kwon 1/2 season each, and Brown and Scott were already here.

Big question is are we done? Both outwards and inwards?

Other than the 2 injuries we seem there or there abouts.

Edited by medals

26 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Interesting to see news is starting to leak out from the club again. It had been very quiet on that front since Robbo took over. 

Probably due to the changing circumstances in the way we're now signing players.

We've signed a couple of players recently in Smyth and Iaccovitti that required transfer fees to be negotiated. The more protracted those negotiations become, the more likely info will leak, often out with the club's control. Much like with McMenamin last season.

With Adeniran, he'd already popped up as a trialist, so was already known to the support. His signing was relatively quick and I don't remember that being prior knowledge to the support.

With the likes of Idowu, Balcombe and Rooney I don't remember any info being leaked.

I think there was stuff on Twitter, about half a day or so with Brown. 

Edited by FTOF