The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

23 minutes ago, medals said:

So long as he does it in the real world with us.

Hope the fee is well worth it.

This balances out as 6 away and 6 in.

Greive/Kwon 1/2 season each, and Brown and Scott were already here.

Big question is are we done? Both outwards and inwards?

Other than the 2 injuries we seem there or there abouts.

It's most likely most of the fee is made up from what we made on James Bolton sale.

What's the gut feel for this season with the squad more or less in place?

I think our midfield looks stronger and although there are no changes up front, more goals and creativity can come from our midfield.

Scott should be a lot fitter and once Conor is over his injury he might be much improved too.

Goalie looks the deal, and the new CB swap with Bolton looks fine too with Fraser able to keep RCB.

We'll miss Strain's crossing etc, but until Rooney is fully fit that's the one area we might be unsure off.

What about other teams? Killie are much the same.

Currently Utd, RC and the Fakes looking the worst. 

Motherwell with a lot of changes (some very decent ones) but losing lots of goals from Bair and Spittal leaving.

Hearts look much stronger and the jury is out on Hibs, the Dons and Dee though you'd have to expect one or two of them will improve a fair bit too.

So will we make top 6 for the 3rd year in a row?

Will CBM or Sutherland or any others be sold?

Hope we are on it this Friday... its about to get serious.

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

It's most likely most of the fee is made up from what we made on James Bolton sale.

I think we had budget from various things including the Bolton sale. Bigger crowds, higher placed finish and known extra income from our european adventure etc.

18 minutes ago, medals said:

What's the gut feel for this season with the squad more or less in place?

I think our midfield looks stronger and although there are no changes up front, more goals and creativity can come from our midfield.

Scott should be a lot fitter and once Conor is over his injury he might be much improved too.

Goalie looks the deal, and the new CB swap with Bolton looks fine too with Fraser able to keep RCB.

We'll miss Strain's crossing etc, but until Rooney is fully fit that's the one area we might be unsure off.

What about other teams? Killie are much the same.

Currently Utd, RC and the Fakes looking the worst. 

Motherwell with a lot of changes (some very decent ones) but losing lots of goals from Bair and Spittal leaving.

Hearts look much stronger and the jury is out on Hibs, the Dons and Dee though you'd have to expect one or two of them will improve a fair bit too.

So will we make top 6 for the 3rd year in a row?

Will CBM or Sutherland or any others be sold?

Hope we are on it this Friday... its about to get serious.

Decent summary. I'm worried about squad balance, and a lack of width in the team.

Absolutely trust Robbo still, of course, but think we are in for a tougher season this year.

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

I'm on the same boat. I am the only one from my group that plan to travel, that was successful in the ballot for Valur, though I couldn't see me solely travelling and just meeting other supporters there. 

So far everyone in my group that plans to travel is in, if its Vllaznia (8 of us), so fingers crossed the second leg goes as we hope.

I'd also be sacrificing a possible bigger next round leg(if we get through), as I can only commit to one.

It would be helpful if those successful for Iceland but can't go tell the club quickly so that they can issue places to those in reserve before Thursday 

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Decent summary. I'm worried about squad balance, and a lack of width in the team.

Absolutely trust Robbo still, of course, but think we are in for a tougher season this year.

Agreed on the tougher season for sure. 

Can you please flesh out your thoughts on width?

Won't Roland, Tanser and possibly Sutherland, give us a bit of that? We never played last season with wingers really except Conor who should play more this season. 

What's your balance concern too?

I think at CB we've got 4 good guys for 3 positions and if any one is out we can still be strong. 2 out is another matter though.

6 minutes ago, Oldchap said:

It would be helpful if those successful for Iceland but can't go tell the club quickly so that they can issue places to those in reserve before Thursday 

that’s not going to work either

the problem being people want to go with groups of friends 

11 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

I think some of the talk on here of 11 or 12 pals wanting to go together is unrealistic to manage if you only have 180 tickets. However they could have capped it and allowed maybe a group of 4 friends to apply together, and rationed it (ie 30 groups of friends picked, 30 parent and child). The individual nature of the ballot was never going to work and doesn't understand the importance of making this a shared experience. 

46 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

I’ll take any single ticket for Valur that’s going (Norman no mates😉)

38 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

I’ll take any single ticket for Valur that’s going (Norman no mates😉)

Me too . Seeing the game is the most important thing for me

27 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Still rumours flying about us signing Iwata. Unless CBM is away I can't see this. 

Would rather have Kwon

I think Kwon is still not fit and that's possibly why we've gone with Dennis.

I don't think we need another holding mid - a spare RCB would be preferred.

Or as always, anyone who increases our goals for account.

Yet I take your point if CBM is about to go.

Edited by medals

24 minutes ago, medals said:

I think Kwon is still not fit and that's possibly why we've gone with Dennis.

I don't think we need another holding mid - a spare RCB would be preferred.

Or as always, anyone who increases our goals for account.

Yet I take your point if CBM is about to go.

I don’t think there was any chance of Kwon coming never mind Iwata. Kwon was linked with a permanent move down south and Iwata played 20 odd times for the first team last season.

3 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Interesting to see news is starting to leak out from the club again. It had been very quiet on that front since Robbo took over. 

I wouldn't say that's the case. Iacovitti only really leaked yesterday about 3 or 4pm and at the point he'd already signed and the photo had been taken.

There wasn't so much as a peep about him before that.

5 hours ago, Oldchap said:

The deadline is noon Friday. I doubt anything will move (if it's Valur) before that deadline. The email confirmation to the lucky ones confirms as much. 

2 hours ago, saintmurn said:

Ref changed too.

UEFA doing everything they can to help Valur get through and prevent hunners of us going to the game. Mon the Vllaznia! 🇦🇱💪

I get the idea the ref is in place to give the Icelandic team a wee hand .

On 15/07/2024 at 19:51, glenburn bud said:

He’ll sign for Hibs, we move on and look elsewhere. I could be wrong and the club will announce him tomorrow 

he didn't

Goalkeepers

Urminsky, Balcombe

Defenders

Gogic, Fraser, R.Taylor, Tanser, Bwomono, Sutherland, Rooney, Brown, Iacovitti

Midfielders

O'Hara, Kiltie, Boyd-Munce, F. Taylor, Smyth, Idowu, Adeniran

Forwards

Ayunga, Olusanya, Jamieson, McMenamin, Mandron, Scott