The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Unlikely as although there are possibly other Icelandic ir Albanian clubs still in it next week, Shkoder is a 1 team town and Valur is the only Reykjavik club so can't see any reason for a switch

I seen Tirana are still in the competition too

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair questions. I have to preface this with the fact that I've not seen any of pre-season yet.

Re the balance, I'll admit that's more of a hunch, and it may just be concern based on seeing more squad churn than we were perhaps expecting. I think we've had to go off-plan to build the defence out and, while the caveats about Robinson's excellent transfer record still apply, it's tough to see at the moment what our ideal defensive line-up will be. But that will be sorted and I'm sure it'll be fine.

In terms of the width, that is a legit concern and one that is a slight hangover from last season. Assuming we stick with the 5-2-3, two of our first choice wider players in Kiltie and McMenamin are injured. Kiltie hopefully not for too long, but Conor is out for a while and it's a tricky injury to overcome. I remember it effectively retired Owen Hargreaves. Fingers crossed the surgery is a success.

As you said, we've still got Tanser, and in a ideal world Rooney will do what we all saw him do at St Johnstone at RWB. But up top is a worry. Robbo has talked about playing with 'two 10s' - which gives me the fear because that's what England did and they were dogshit. I'm not a fan of inside-out wide players and I'd like to see us play with two wide forwards on their correct side, especially on the right where it'd take pressure off Rooney to do what peak Strain was doing. In Mandron we have a player who would thrive on whipped crosses and I want to see more of that.

Again, as you've said, Sutherland might be an option here. I would love to see Sutherland playing in front of Tanser. I think it could be a low-risk way of integrating him into the first team without potentially exposing any defensive frailties. A starting front three of Sutherland, Mandron and Olusanya (from left to right) would be dynamic and terrifying. I suspect Idowu will be getting the nod instead of Sutherland, which is probably fair based on pre-season appearances.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being doom and gloom, I just think the combination of players moving on unexpectedly, and a couple of injuries to two of our absolute standout players from last season, has left us weaker and less balanced.

given I have just as much knowledge of not seeing them play....other than on tape, I fully agree with everything said, in particular playing Sutherland just in front of Tanser, could be a masterstroke and at least worth investigating surely

2 hours ago, medals said:

Thanks for taking the time and for your detailed reply.

As you say the manager usually does good but only time will tell.

I had hoped both injured players would be back in around 12 weeks.

Robinson said in his post match on Saturday that Kiltie is out for the same time as McMenamin so both are around 12 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what he does on Friday. He's tried the 5-2-3 against Morton and Fleetwood. Despite not losing, i dont think we have looked great in midfield. We have good central midfielders, but the formation hasnt really flattered them in the abscence of the natural wingers. Cant see him entrusting Sutherland and Jamieson for 90mins despite good shows on their brief appearances in pre-season. Does lead me to think a formation change on the cards due to Kiltie and McM injuries taking them out for a good period of time. Not really sure what he would change to though. 5-3-2? 

A wee update from the club would be appreciated. I’ve given up on Valur and hoping we get a trip to Albania. The travel plans we’ve made mean travelling to Manchester on Sunday for an early flight to Montenegro on Monday. If the club says tickets will be available for collection from Monday, I’m goosed. 

18 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

A wee update from the club would be appreciated. I’ve given up on Valur and hoping we get a trip to Albania. The travel plans we’ve made mean travelling to Manchester on Sunday for an early flight to Montenegro on Monday. If the club says tickets will be available for collection from Monday, I’m goosed. 

What more can the club do? We don’t know who we’re supposed to be playing yet.

The problem against Fleetwood, especially in the 1st half, was the wing backs played as full backs and provided no midfield support , which was mostly overrun, and no attacking threat. Only in the second half did the wing backs move a wee bit further forward and only when Sutherland came on was there a wide attacking threat. We were far too defensive.

3-5-2 is for me our best formation and not the 5-2-3 we played on Saturday.

42 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Could be completely wrong, but it’s hard to imagine tickets being available within 36 hours of knowing who we’re playing.

In fairness to the club they are probably not accounting for folk travelling a full 5 days before the game. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The problem against Fleetwood, especially in the 1st half, was the wing backs played as full backs and provided no midfield support , which was mostly overrun, and no attacking threat. 

I thought our biggest problem against Fleetwood was that we didn't match their workrate. They were in our faces from the start and we were still fannying about like we were having a beach kickabout with eleven Majorcan holidaymakers. Our lot didn't switch on until after the break.

A different attitude is required on Friday. 

53 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Wouldn't be surprised if A) can just purchase online or B) there's arrangements for one of the SLO's to meet folk in this situation outside the away ground if it's paper tickets. 

11 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

Wouldn't be surprised if A) can just purchase online or B) there's arrangements for one of the SLO's to meet folk in this situation outside the away ground if it's paper tickets. 

Shkoder are selling directly to Valur fans for the game tomorrow. No reason to even consider not letting them do this if I was an SMFC official

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

A wee update from the club would be appreciated. I’ve given up on Valur and hoping we get a trip to Albania. The travel plans we’ve made mean travelling to Manchester on Sunday for an early flight to Montenegro on Monday. If the club says tickets will be available for collection from Monday, I’m 

I can see flights sky rocketing VERY quickly tomorrow night if / when it becomes apparent it's Shkoder.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I can see flights sky rocketing VERY quickly tomorrow night if / when it becomes apparent it's Shkoder.

Flights are already pretty expensive.  There’s not much in the way of cheap options and many of the connecting flights have long wait times and/or arrivals after midnight in Tirana (if going that route). 

Edited by AlfieMoon

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I thought our biggest problem against Fleetwood was that we didn't match their workrate. They were in our faces from the start and we were still fannying about like we were having a beach kickabout with eleven Majorcan holidaymakers. Our lot didn't switch on until after the break.

A different attitude is required on Friday. 

Robbo has already said that he trained the players way too hard before the Fleetwood game and didn't treat it like a "proper" match.

Friday will be a different story, so hopefully the players will have fresher legs.

St Mirren fan suddenly decides to go to Albania, can’t get flights so rocks up at Glasgow Central… ‘single to Shkoder please’… Guy says ‘eh? Nah, you’ll need to go to London first mate’. ‘OK, gie’s a single to London then’. He gets to Waterloo… ‘single to Shkoder please’. Guy says ‘need to get to Dover first’… ‘OK, single to Dover please’. Gets to Dover… ‘single to Shkoder please’. Bloke says ‘erm, need the ferry first, want a ticket for that?’… ‘Aye, single please’. Offski across the English Channel. Gets to Calais train station.. ‘Single to Shkoder please, merci, sorry’. ‘You’ll need to get to Paris first’… ‘Oh for fcuk sake, aye, Paris please…’ Arrives in Paris Gare de Nord… ‘Eh, Shkoder? A single’… ‘Where? Sorry, need to get to Montenegro, change there, want a single?’… Bloke says ‘Ach, gie’s a single then, might as well now’... Gets to the capital of Montenegro… ‘Single to Shkoder, please, please tell me there’s a train to Shkoder’…. ‘No problem, one to Shkoder..’

…’Yassss!’. Bloke gets to Shkoder, arrives at the stadium with two minutes to spare. After the game, treks back to Shkoder train station. Says to himself ‘Fcuk. Here we fcuking go again…’Single to Paisley please’… ‘Bloke says, ‘no bother, Gilmour Street or Canal Street’…

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Robbo has already said that he trained the players way too hard before the Fleetwood game and didn't treat it like a "proper" match.

Friday will be a different story, so hopefully the players will have fresher legs.

Have you got a link to those comments at all? I was briefly in a Twitter debate with someone losing their shit over a friendly result, in which I made that exact point about strenuous training. I've always got to have the last word so would be good to dive back to that.