The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

i hear debeers,cave and balnagowan were full last night 👬👭👫 success on the pitch gets the towns tills ringing

have to agree about the stream quality and the commentator 📺🎤 both were awesome 

hopefully we have done the hard bit and we finish them off in a night to remember ⚽⚽️ 

16 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

i hear debeers,cave and balnagowan were full last night 👬👭👫 success on the pitch gets the towns tills ringing

hopefully we have done the hard bit and we finish them off in a night to remember ⚽⚽️ 

Cave was absolutely full to the gunnels. Was great to see. Especially as we went in at 5 and nabbed prime seats upstairs in what became the built in Sauna. 😅

I said it in the match thread, and I'll repeat it now, we looked good for a first competitive outing.

Sharpness is obviously a concern, but the players brought in look decent. Idowu and Balcombe especially.

Overall pretty happy.

4 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Darren Kilfara seems to be the commentator who did the game. Apparently lives in Dunbar. Would take him over just about anyone on radio or TV.

The Hibs fans were just as impressed two years ago when he covered their Euro tie. Certainly does his research for the games. Unlike the BBC Scotland commentators, he doesn’t cram it all into the first five minutes of the game. Quite rare for commentators to be praised these days, unless it’s the fans with mics at Stranraer, so fair play to him for his solo stint.

Although I feel a bit aggrieved that we're not taking a lead into the second leg, we actually could have been a goal down in the first minute if Balcombe hadn't bailed us out, which might have led to a very different outcome.

Yes, we had several chances to score, but they did too and all being said and done a draw was the fairest result.

If you look at the match stats* without Saints tinted glasses, you'd probably think that Valur were the team in the ascendancy.

* I found them on Live score as the BBC haven't bothered their arse to do a stats analysis.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

I just watched at home but my lot were in Bankhouse and it looked rammed. 

A frustrating 90 minutes but, as the dust settles, it was a good outcome. The palaver leading up to it, our first competitive game, etc. That's all out of the road now and we know what we're up against.

0-0 at HT in the tie and back to our place with 7 days to prepare. Valur, meanwhile, have another game on Sunday before travelling. 

We've got a great chance to progress.

43 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Although I feel a bit aggrieved that we're not taking a lead into the second leg, we actually could have been a goal down in the first minute if Balcombe hadn't bailed us out, which might have led to a very different outcome.

Yes, we had several chances to score, but they did too and all being said and done a draw was the fairest result.

If you look at the match stats* without Saints tinted glasses, you'd probably think that Valur were the team in the ascendancy.

* I found them on Live score as the BBC haven't bothered their arse to do a stats analysis.

The game could have went 2 ways. If we had taken our chances it would have been a decent lead to take home. 

On the flipside Balcombe kept us in it. 

We may have a way to go but if you don't put away those chances a better team will hurt us. 

We are not there yet in terms of fitness etc but it is glaringly obvious we need a better striker. 

We also miss Kiltie and McMenamin. 

We have to be patient next week as they have shown they can make chances. 

Still all to play for in the rollercoaster of supporting our club

Valur 0 St Mirren 0

Bruce Springsteen 7 Wembley 0

…a scintillating performance by the boy Springsteen saw him easily defeat the Wembley crowd. Fast approaching 80 years old, and with a combined team age of 1854 years, another stunning showing, and surely the tie is over before the second leg, also at Wembley, this Saturday. Playing up front alone in a 15-1 formation, the E Street Band set up the chances, which lone striker Springsteen slotted home with ease. The Wembley crowd were on their knees come the end.

Both St Mirren and Springsteen FC will be hoping their European tours continue well beyond the next two fixtures.

Edited by pozbaird

As others have said, if we were more clinical we could’ve been out of sight already (story of my Saints-supporting life), yet needed four saves from Balcombe (two of which were truly outstanding) to remain in touch. Cracking entertainment for a neutral!

Valur look like a ‘tidy’ team, but without moving the ball at pace - the sort of team we should be comfortable defending against. Cross-field diagonal to their left winger was the ball that could’ve caused more problems - Elvis was tucking in a bit too much at times.

As well as the big keeper, I was impressed with our back three. Jaden Brown, however, looks like a different player to last season’s loanee - proper competition for Tanser on that side!

Last word goes to Valur though - brilliant hospitality, the set-up at the clubhouse/museum was great and made for a real party atmosphere. Will likely keep an eye out for their results in future, hopefully after their European adventure ends on Thursday…

If we get through this tie, does this allow Robbo a wee bit of extra budget to get another signing or two. We could be really struggling for numbers if CBM is out with injury after him going off last night.

37 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Valur 0 St Mirren 0

Bruce Springsteen 7 Wembley 0

…a scintillating performance by the boy Springsteen saw him easily defeat the Wembley crowd. Fast approaching 80 years old, and with a combined team age of 1854 years, another stunning showing, and surely the tie is over before the second leg, also at Wembley, this Saturday. Playing up front alone in a 15-1 formation, the E Street Band set up the chances, which lone striker Springsteen slotted home with ease. The Wembley crowd were on their knees come the end.

Both St Mirren and Springsteen FC will be hoping their European tours continue well beyond the next two fixtures.

Hope you had a good night in the company of the Boss. I suspect it wasn’t your debut. Me and my good lady have seen him live five times, Glasgow, New York and Edinburgh, so resisted the temptation to venture to the big smoke in the hope that we can afford the flights to Warsaw to see the gaffer lift the Euro trophy 🏆 

24 minutes ago, codfish said:

As well as the big keeper, I was impressed with our back three. Jaden Brown, however, looks like a different player to last season’s loanee - proper competition for Tanser on that side.

There was one moment, when Brown seemed to get stuck at our byline, but the left sided corner flag, and he seemed to clip it around the player, make space then lay it off. Very well done, and must show he is full of confidence.

Oh, and just to put a counter to "the boss" chat, Springsteen is shit. Tedious American triumphalism. That is all. (edit: he at least hates Trump, so that goes in his favour)

Edited by Ric

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

There was one moment, when Brown seemed to get stuck at our byline, but the left sided corner flag, and he seemed to clip it around the player, make space then lay it off. Very well done, and must show he is full of confidence.

Oh, and just to put a counter to "the boss" chat, Springsteen is shit. Tedious American triumphalism. That is all. (edit: he at least hates Trump, so that goes in his favour)

Opinions, opinions, fair enough etc. Only mentioned him because I had his gig at Wembley booked for ages… then we end up with a European tie on the same night. Just glad it wasn’t the home tie.

I’m sure there will be artists / bands that you like, who I consider to be shite / arseholes. That’s the way it works.

Easy the Mirren, roll on Thurs.

Not wanting to dampen the vibe, but

They drew their home game in the previous round and as we know won 4 nil away.

Also, they played a few balls in behind RCB and Goga was well beaten 1 on 1 a couple of times. (They also had guys in the box unmarked a fair bit too)

Ok, we had plenty chances and will be another week fitter and readier. (They also have a suspension in defence)

We are also a bit thinner squad wise but should have Rooney available. 

Secret is to believe and get at them from the off,  - one, two, three goals and move into the next round.

36 minutes ago, medals said:

Not wanting to dampen the vibe, but

They drew their home game in the previous round and as we know won 4 nil away.

Also, they played a few balls in behind RCB and Goga was well beaten 1 on 1 a couple of times. (They also had guys in the box unmarked a fair bit too)

Ok, we had plenty chances and will be another week fitter and readier. (They also have a suspension in defence)

We are also a bit thinner squad wise but should have Rooney available. 

Secret is to believe and get at them from the off,  - one, two, three goals and move into the next round.

Yeah I was surprised to see Gogic getting plaudits from some on here post match.

I thought he had one of his poorer games and as you say he got pretty easily roasted on a couple of occasions at least. 

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Hope you had a good night in the company of the Boss. I suspect it wasn’t your debut. Me and my good lady have seen him live five times, Glasgow, New York and Edinburgh, so resisted the temptation to venture to the big smoke in the hope that we can afford the flights to Warsaw to see the gaffer lift the Euro trophy 🏆 

The final is in Wroclaw not Warsaw.

4 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

A frustrating 90 minutes but, as the dust settles, it was a good outcome. The palaver leading up to it, our first competitive game, etc. That's all out of the road now and we know what we're up against.

0-0 at HT in the tie and back to our place with 7 days to prepare. Valur, meanwhile, have another game on Sunday before travelling. 

We've got a great chance to progress.

Look, we got a draw away from home in a 2 leg tie. 
We’re not going to lose at home in the 2nd leg. 
St.Mirren would never do that. 
Well certainly not in a Euro tie.