The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

55 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Springsteen is fantastic. I'd say calling his songs "American triumphalism" shows as much awareness as Trump using "born in the USA" at his rallies. 

I neither love him or hate him, he’s done a fair few good songs, but I was thinking the same as you. Born in the USA was a particularly scathing anti US song. I’m struggling to think of a song of his that would qualify as “American triumphalism” 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I neither love him or hate him, he’s done a fair few good songs, but I was thinking the same as you. Born in the USA was a particularly scathing anti US song. I’m struggling to think of a song of his that would qualify as “American triumphalism🤷‍♂️

Love it when a thread strays off-topic - Springsteen made his name with loser/outsider songs just the opposite of American triumphalism.

Born in the USA (the album) is a kinda outlier in his works with it being an out & out bid for chart domination (that 100%  worked) however that success was a watershed for him, maybe even a drawback, as IMO he's never produced a consistently good elpee since - plenty good tracks but never the entire package.

Edited by btb

My fault for going to the Springsteen gig on the same night as a Smurrrnnn game.

I was disappointed that he never halted the set to flash up the H/T and F/T score from Iceland mind you. Poor from Springsteen.

This whole going to Europe thing is beginning to lose its shine.

Missed connecting flight in Paris because we were given 50 minutes to get from terminal 1, through security and to terminal 2B, which, for anyone who hasn't been to CDG airport, would be an impossible task even if you were Usain Bolt on a motorbike. Currently in a very expensive Paris hotel as couldn't get a flight back till tomorrow. Another Saints fan also here.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Missed connecting flight in Paris because we were given 50 minutes to get from terminal 1, through security and to terminal 2B, which, for anyone who hasn't been to CDG airport, would be an impossible task even if you were Usain Bolt on a motorbike. Currently in a very expensive Paris hotel as couldn't get a flight back till tomorrow. Another Saints fan also here.

Oh dear.... please tell me though that this was on the way back and you did see the match live. 🫣

2 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Sorry I took us off topic. After last night, should we bring in Gunni as a striker coach?

On last night's evidence bring him in as a striker, never mind a coach.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I’m still clinging on to the hope that last night was just “one of those nights” and our strikers can’t really be that bad. 

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Oh dear.... please tell me though that this was on the way back and you did see the match live. 🫣

Yes we got to the game no bother. Was speaking to other Saints fans whose flight was delayed and they had to pay extra to get on another flight otherwise they'd have missed the game. 

Still, can't complain, Paisley Panda made it over from Australia. 

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Could do a better job than those we have at the moment. 

I can't for the life of me understand why Robbo has not addressed our striker positions. Those we have are decent but not good enough. 

If we progress we will need better quality against better oposition. 

30 minutes ago, Hendo said:

enjoy the olympics 

45 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Was your flight to Paris delayed long enough for you to claim compo?

48 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Go and set fire to the Paris rail network in protest.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m still clinging on to the hope that last night was just “one of those nights” and our strikers can’t really be that bad. 

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Could do a better job than those we have at the moment. 

I can't for the life of me understand why Robbo has not addressed our striker positions. Those we have are decent but not good enough. 

If we progress we will need better quality against better oposition. 

So

1)We can only afford the sort of guys we have.

2) It is early doors and we've managed goals in other pre-season games. 

3) Yes if we keep progressing our funds will improve - and hopefully the squad too.

It is not like we haven't been improving for the last 2 years or so already.

So have patience, keep the faith and cross your fingers.

Edited by medals

5 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Springsteen is fantastic. I'd say calling his songs "American triumphalism" shows as much awareness as Trump using "born in the USA" at his rallies. 

Greatest live performer I've seen

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

For the best part of 20 years I flew long haul having to use hub airports Paris, Amsterdam London, Dubai. Never book a flight that only has one hour before your next flight it's asking for problems mate. 

58 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Was your flight to Paris delayed long enough for you to claim compo?

I took out their insurance and it was sold with a guarantee about making connecting flights so I hope so.

36 minutes ago, medals said:

So

1)We can only afford the sort of guys we have.

2) It is early doors and we've managed goals in other pre-season games. 

3) Yes if we keep progressing our funds will improve - and hopefully the squad too.

It is not like we haven't been improving for the last 2 years or so already.

So have patience, keep the faith and cross your fingers.

Fingers well and truly crossed